Aromantic Character Headcanons

I'm really surprised no one has mentioned Ouran High School Host Club yet! Really funny, fluffy anime. Even though the premise of the show is all about romance, there's actually a couple of characters that I am 100% headcanoning as Aro (perhaps not coincidentally, they're my favourite characters). 

Haruhi Fujioka (though apparently in the manga she eventually ends up with one of the main characters but I like to think that it's a QPP based primarily on friendship), because she is just genuinely not romantic, and really into the friendships she has with the other characters. Maybe she's even Aro-ace? 

Kyoya Otori - extremely practical, calculating, not romantic (or even romantically inclined, outside of a very technical way), and very possibly Aro-ace. Devoted to friends yet very self-serving, idk - I think he's the coolest, lol. 

Also Death Note - Light Yagami and L, I think are Aro-ace or at least Aro, because neither of them are interested in romance (and Light uses people who are romantically interested in him to further his own ends). I mean, IMHO they're both pretty sociopathic so maybe not the best representation for aromantics? 

Jughead Jones - from the original comics (don't even get me started on how they desecrated his character on Riverdale...) Aro-ace for sure. 

Minerva McGonagall - I can totally see her as Aro, but apparently she has a canon tragic romantic backstory (?), so maybe Aro-spec?

And a few that have already been mentioned... 

Merida - Brave

Rey - Force Awakens

Voldemort - but again, very much full of hate and sociopathic tendencies...

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2017 at 4:32 AM, ladyasym said:

Haruhi Fujioka (though apparently in the manga she eventually ends up with one of the main characters but I like to think that it's a QPP based primarily on friendship), because she is just genuinely not romantic, and really into the friendships she has with the other characters. Maybe she's even Aro-ace? 

Kyoya Otori - extremely practical, calculating, not romantic (or even romantically inclined, outside of a very technical way), and very possibly Aro-ace. Devoted to friends yet very self-serving, idk - I think he's the coolest, lol. 

YES. Everything about this. Haruhi could have been such good aro or aro-ace rep if they'd just ran with that instead of screwing it up at the end! Ugh!

I'd never thought about Kyoya before though!

On 12/3/2017 at 4:32 AM, ladyasym said:

Jughead Jones - from the original comics (don't even get me started on how they desecrated his character on Riverdale...) Aro-ace for sure. 

Oh boy... Don't even get me started on the disgrace that is Shitterdale. Anyone who's been around in the Discord chat for a while can probably tell you I have a lot of opinions about what the CW has done to aro-ace rep...

• Like 3

!!! I have A LOT of headcanons tbh. Mostly aroaces, with a few aropans I think?

The Author from Gravity Falls always just gave me... The Aro Vibe. He is just fine with chasing after mysteries than he is willing to actually marry or date someone and says that he finds that whole romance thing more mind-boggling than actual supernatural/alien stuff.

More on weirder side for this but I kinda... hc Mabel as aro pan or pan ace? I can see either and with how much she overly focuses on romance, it somehow gave me the vibe of "overdoing to compensate for lack of it" but probably not.

Not exactly headcanon but in a Gravity Falls AU called Transcendence AU, Dipper is canonically aroace. (More like grey-ro het in actual canon imo but honestly would love to hc him as aroace too)

From D.Gray-man, main character Allen Walker honestly gives me a really strong aroace vibe? He is just. Not really interested and into those things, he would rather focus on the war first.

With Lavi, it is probs again either panace or panaro bc this bunny /does/ crush on a hella lot people be it male or female BUT it also has this "admiration crush" squish vibe to them whenever he isn't just flailing about how beautiful a girl is so I can argue either for him but at the very least he gives a demi vibe for romantic attraction.

Also not sure if aropan or aroace for Lena too because she is really Relatable about just wanting to be peaceful and safe with people she sees family, home with and doesn't really spend time on romance stuff at all from what I can recall? But also seeing her crush on Anita would be really cute so. But honestly, probably not.

From Hetalia, my old fandom that I was in for ages, despite shipping him with many people, aroace Arthur Kirkland/England was always a hc close to my heart. Because honestly? I can see that. He really isn't interested in romance stuff and I do believe that Alfred/America is still like a little brother that he was more parent-esque than anything romantic. I really loved his friendship with Kiku/Japan in the series, it just reminded me my own BFF who I was in a QPR with and myself since we are both really similar to Arthur and Kiku respectively.

Also pan-demiro pan-demisexual Matthew/Canada is a hc I refuse to ever give up.

I honestly do want to hc some Assassination Classroom characters aro too but... maybe Karma and/or Nagisa but due to how manga is set, they are probably both hetero and probs will end up with a girl (possibly Manami and Kayano) so...

Also Uryuu Ishida from Bleach is probs aroace too, now that I think about it? He was %9000 fine with just watching one of his BFF's box match during his break as he was working at hospital than ending up with someone romantically, especially with manga confirming a few ships at the end?

Those are the ones I could think of on top of my head, might add more later on.

Edit:

On 12/3/2017 at 12:32 PM, ladyasym said:

I'm really surprised no one has mentioned Ouran High School Host Club yet! Really funny, fluffy anime. Even though the premise of the show is all about romance, there's actually a couple of characters that I am 100% headcanoning as Aro (perhaps not coincidentally, they're my favourite characters). 

HOW COULD I FORGET HARUHI. She is so aroace, yes! She was only shoujo reverse harem protag I could relate to. Ouran is like... one of the really few somewhat romance-focused shoujo series I could bear to watch and it was all due to her aroness and being the Sane One to Host Club Hijinks. Kyoya is really likely too, I have a fondness for him but not to "I feel you" level it is with Haruhi.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ApeironStella said:

HOW COULD I FORGET HARUHI. She is so aroace, yes! She was only shoujo reverse harem protag I could relate to. Ouran is like... one of the really few somewhat romance-focused shoujo series I could bear to watch and it was all due to her aroness and being the Sane One to Host Club Hijinks. Kyoya is really likely too, I have a fondness for him but not to "I feel you" level it is with Haruhi.

Same! Haruhi has been one of the very few characters in any media that I have related to so strongly, up until the point where they threw all that potential away. Maybe that's why I always kinda felt empty at the end of the show?

• Like 3

@ladyasym @techno-trashcan @ApeironStella I am surprised Haruhi hadn't been mentioned on this topic. Ouran and the disappointing ending had been mentioned on the Anime/Manga topic http://www.arocalypse.com/forums/topic/1025-favourite-animemangas/ 

Some things I mentioned there were Skip Beat and Perfect Girl Evolution (The Wallflower)Kyoko Mogami (Skip Beat) certainly starts out by being romance repulsed/romance oblivious but the manga (I haven't seen the anime) degrades into weird mini-arc episodic things. I am not up to the most recent chapters but it seems Kyoko is 'rediscovering' her romantic side, however the early chapters, you get about 120 chapters of fun and aggressively aromantic Kyoko. 

Sunako Nakahara (Perfect Girl Evolution) is another aro girl leading a reverse harem. I also haven't finished the manga but the anime only covers the first 10 volumes or so (plus the anime was done by the same group who did Excel Saga, so it is weird in a good way). Sunako is not affectionate like Haruhi but she gets into the same sort of potentially intimate situations and keeps it all aromantic. Well at least up until whatever volume I last read somewhere in the high 20s. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, does anyone else watch the show 'She's Gotta Have It' on Netflix? Honestly, I'm really vibing with Nola Darling right now - I think she's aro-spec, because she's a relationship anarchist but gets uncomfortable when her sexual partners make things romantic or want to take things 'to the next level'. Could be wishful thinking about me really wanting more aro-representation in the media, but I think her aversion is more than just 'commitment phobia'. 

Also, if you haven't watched the show - it's wicked, and 110% worth watching. 

• 4 weeks later...

Merida from Brave is a huge aromantic icon. She is everything aromantic in nature and desire, and even wears the color green and always has her arrows.

A lot of people want her to be a lesbian, but I want Elsa from Frozen to be aromantic. She can just stay single and continue to get all the love and happiness she needs from her sister Anna as well as other friends she manages to make in her kingdom.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Let's see....

Sinbad (Magi Labyrinth of Magic) is pansexual aro. He's aro af, I don't care what shippers say.

Levi (SNK) Levi gives me strong aroace vibes. He doesn't seem to be interested in romance or sex at all, despite what fans treat him as.

Also I see Eren as aro too...

On ‎05‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 4:08 AM, Spud said:

I'm not sure we want Voldemort as a figurehead for aromanticism… Kind of gives a bad image.

yeah I agree I see non aros claiming he's aro/ace sometimes and it puts a bad taste in my mouth

Oh yeah I've never thought about it but Tom Riddle is aro for sure. It's indeed not a good image but it's still someone. I personally don't hate him tho but it's still better to praise Merida as an aromantic figure than Voldemort for sure. 

I would say Michael from the good place. He's the only one that really crosses my mind. It's not really that great to have him as a figure of aromanticism or asexuality but since he's not human he doesn't really seem to feel these feelings and actually find it a bit ridiculous. I hope it stays that way because I feel like it would be really weird to give him a romantic interest but anyway it's been two seasons we can't really know for sure but it seems like he could be aroace.

• Like 2

Ok so Adolin Kholin from the stormlight archive is aromantic and probably allosexual, he doesn't know what makes something romantic or how to behave on dates, and has been dumped by literally every woman available for him to date.  Also (obviously) Kaladin Stormblessed from the stormlight archive is an arospec asexual. based on canon evidence about how Kal experiences attraction in my view he would canonically qualify to id as greyromantic (tho obviously there's no official standards to meet! he just has a lot of the same experiences that cause people to id that way!) and I've written more about that here

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Whooo I need to look through these headcanons cause those OHSHC ones had me like ???

I was in the process of planning out a fic a long time ago and I came to the conclusion that Princess Bonnibel Bubblegum from Adventure time was 100% on the AroAce spectrum. In regards to romantic orientation I can say with confidence she is greyromantic in some way. I headcanon her as Demiro personally.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe this is more showing my age, but I've got one that I almost never see.  I see a lot of people say Rey in Star Wars is aro in their headcanon, and I'm fully behind this and I hope she never ends up romantically involved.

But what about Luke Skywalker?

I know in the EU, he gets married and has babies.  Frankly, I never got into the EU and I don't care about it.  I only ever watched the movies and the cartoons.  So, my headcanon is that Luke is aro.  I know it's really easy to read him as in a love triangle in A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back, and I think the writers intended for that to be the case, but hear me out.  I think in these movies, he's actually aro.

• Leia initiates all the romantic contact.
  • Luke's interest mainly seems incidental, pretty much only when either Leia initiates something, or when Han brings it up in conversation.  Otherwise, he shows way more enthusiasm for other things.
  • The only possibly romantic action Luke makes without Leia initiating it or Han starting a conversation is that he thinks she's beautiful when he first sees her image.  Perhaps this is aesthetic attraction?
  • By The Empire Strikes Back, Leia is clearly more interested in Han and both Leia and Luke are mainly keeping up their romantic interactions just to jab at Han.  Leia still initiates it.

So my headcanon is that Luke's interest in possible romantic attraction is mainly just curiosity, because he's young and has lived a fairly isolated life.  And like many young aros, he thinks attraction is something he should experience, and Leia has an assertive personality and has expressed interest, so he goes along with it to satisfy his curiosity.  On top of that, they have a clear connection, and maybe he mistakes it for romantic, not understanding the nature of it.  It quickly fades as they learn more about each other and Leia turns her attention to Han.  Luke never shows any other romantic interest anywhere else in the movies.

Seriously, aside from the fact that they are separated twins and don't know it yet, how aro is that?

• Like 4

I definitely got aro vibes from Nola Darling too!! @ladyasym i should finish that show, but i stopped because I didn't want to find out if she ends up in a mono romo relaitonship after all oops

I also hc James Bond (Craig!Bond) as aro and het or aro and bi.

Plus Harry Hart from Kingsman. They even accidentally made it canon lmao having him say he's never been in love but ofc they portrayed it as something oh so sad and tragic which... ugh.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Rainier from Anne Bishop's Black Jewels series ( @Star Girl  'The Price' puts him more into aro perspective for me) also Surreal! her happily ever after is affectionate platonic - fight me. 

You defintely have something there @Eklinaar

Someone recently pointed out to me that Petyr Baelish is/could very well be ace-spectrum, and I was like: he so could well be quite aro-spectrum too! It wasn't a head cannon for me before, but now I think it is. 

@Star Girl

In cannon Rainier is gay but I totally read that as homosexual aromantic. He is attracted to men but he never partners off. And once he joins court he certainly has the status and chance to form a relationship with someone who would not be intimidated by his caste or power, even if his wound does really knock his self-worth. 

Also. Yes. Karla. Definitely. 

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know if it was mentionned, but what about Jack Frost from Rise fo Guardians? Of course everybody assumed he's straight because of Tooth Fairy. It's true that Tooth Fairy is completely in love with him, but Jack never looks romantically or sexually interesting. They don't even kiss; all we have at the end is a hug : Tooth Fairy is jumping on him, and for me, he doesn't seem to understand it was a romantic behavior. It's so obvious that he's not interested in her that there is a crazy amount of videos that ship him with Elsa (ok, that's just because they both have ice powers; anyway, I'm so happy he's from Dreamworks, so Disney will never think to make this love story canon in Frozen 2  :D ). And I read that in the books, he is supposed to not understand romantic love because he has the soul of an eternal child (even if he's fourteen).

And Voldemort is absolutely aroace for me, but it's because he has no feeling at all, so I would  not use him as an aromantic ambassador :P .

Edited by nonmerci
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I strongly headcanon Dr Who (all of them!!) as aro!! (and also Rose Tyler, because why not) some regenerations are more willing to be in a qpr type relationship (ten & rose and two & jamie come to mind) but they're all aroace

I also headcanon Newt Geiszler (Pacific Rim) as aro, & also Zuko and Toph from ATLA? both So McFreaking Aro(tm)

Also, a couple of characters from The Adventure Zone -- Lucretia and Lucas from the Balance arc come to mind, Nadiya Jones from the Commitment arc (Travis even said she wasn't interested in romance, so that's like as good as canon as we're ever gonna get lmao), and possibly Duck from the Amnesty arc but there might be some canon stuff implying that he's gay (I can't remember?) and I don't wanna take representation from another marginalized group lmao (although he could be aro and gay)

• Like 2

HOW have I missed this thread?! I love all of these (especially the Star Wars and Star Trek ones - ARO LUKE!!). :) 

I won't add anything already said, but I'll throw in an anime/manga character I've been thinking was aro or demi-ro (likely sexual though - hetero?): Natsu, from the series Fairy Tail. I feel like he and Lucy have a really strong bond, and I 'ship' them in the sense that I love their partnership, but Natsu hasn't ever seemed interested in pursuing romance with Lucy even when she implied that she had romantic feelings for him. He's seemed completely oblivious. However, I wouldn't mind seeing them in a romantic relationship, initiated perhaps by Lucy (hey, some aros do enter into romantic relationships with non-aros), although the dynamic would be different from traditional romantic relationships of non-aro-specs.

Also, not sure if anyone knows Saiyuki anymore (my favourite manga series), but I headcanon Sanzo (Genjyo/Kouryuu) as aroace. I'm pretty confident this one's canon, honestly, just not spelled out explicitly as "aroace" itself.

• Like 1