Movie/TV Series Recommendations?

13 hours ago, katicha said:

Pacific Rim, maybe? 0-0

I saw the trailer for that a while back!! I'll watch it later today- thank you :D

On 4/4/2016 at 0:53 AM, DannyFenton123 said:

The Martian is a good one. Though they added one unecessary kiss scene at the end (which I do not believe is in the book) it's very short and bearable and that's about the only thing I disliked about the movie ^_^

I loved that movie, I've seen it 4 times! And I agree, that kiss scene was totally unnecessary -_- 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Sherlock, the BBC series. Even in the books Sherlock never even entertains the thought of having a romantic partner. It's the same in the show. And besides all that, Sherlock is like top tier television.

• Like 3

American Horror Story is great. The main focus is how people mess up their own lives, so there is romance, but its not cheesy. It has some weird black humour, some like it, some do not.

Sense8 is quite interesting and action packed. There is like one episode with Wolfgang and Kala, but they are easy to skip (its netflix anyway). I was hoping that Kala would turn out to be aro, I mean this was directed by gay transwomen, they are good with representation, but unfortunately not. Anyway, still a good one.

edit: just that you know, both shows are quite sexual.

• Like 1

The first Avengers movie, from what I can remember? Definitely not the second one, though. I am forever salty about the second one. 

Out of the Star Trek movies, I don't remember much romance in Search For Spock (III), The Voyage Home (IV), The Final Frontier (V), or First Contact (VIII). (Can't speak to Nemesis (X) or the newer ones because I haven't seen them.)

Also, both Labyrinth and Real Genius (all right, so there's one kiss scene in the latter, but it's totally irrelevant to the plot and completely skippable, and they don't even act like they're in a relationship anyway). I might remember more later. 

• 3 weeks later...

If you're all right with "kid movies" (although really the only things that make this a kid movie are the facts that it's from Pixar and the protagonist is 14; the storyline isn't juvenile at all and it deals with some really deep issues in a really touching way), I highly recommend Big Hero 6. I just saw it this week with my ace club, and it was picked specifically because all of the movies we were considering had NO romance whatsoever. Not one couple, not one kissing scene, not even one subtle indication of a crush. I think that's one of the first movies I've seen in literally years that I can say that about. 

And another one I just remembered: the made-for-TV two-part screen adaptation of Terry Pratchett's novel Hogfather. At this point, it's my family's traditional Christmas movie, so it's not exactly seasonally relevant right now, but definitely one to keep in mind. 

• Like 5

I just rewatched The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe and it doesn't have any romance at all.

However, the sequel, Prince Caspian, does have some romance between Caspian and Susan that wasn't in the book.

If you're looking for anime I 100% recommend Sakamoto Desu Ga?

Its a comedy about a High School student in Japan who has a reputation for being really cool and suave. Sakamoto meets opposition, but he ends up fixing it perfectly (and in pretty over the top fashions). My favorite part about it is how he completely ignores all romantic gestures/turns it around so he doesn't have to deal with it (thusly, I 100% HC Sakamoto as aromantic). Like, I was literally in tears screaming "same" at certain parts Sakamoto dodged the affections of his admirers.

There is a tad bit of romance between the main character and another, but it is endearing since it's a cute gay ship.

I watch it over here at kissanime.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Frances Ha! I cried, shows the importance of friendships, and the experience of having an all friend enter a romantic relationship. 

Also Portlandia is great, they can get a bit touchy when it comes to certain issues but I mostly watch it because I love Fred and Carries relationship. Such a wonderful, strong, platonic bond

The Heat is really funny, action packed, and about strong female friendships. :)

The Good Dinosaur (actually the best) - animated children's movie but full of adventure and friendship and lovely moments

The Goodwife - awesome courtroom drama, some romance, but mostly as a subplot

The Twelve Chairs - obscure Mel Brooks movie set in Soviet Russia and about an uneasy friendship between two men looking for treasure. Ridiculously funny. 

If you're into Sci-fi and don't mind long running shows, Star Gate: Atlantis was fun.  There's some romance for a couple of the protagonists, but the main character, John Shepard, has basically none.  He's divorced from a marriage that "didn't work out" and there were one or two episodes with some girl who liked him, but he always "nope"d out of there as fast as possible, or just acted super uncomfortable about the whole situation.  (Totally AroAce IMO) For the most part it was a show about friendships and the Gate team becoming a makeshift family.  (And super cheesy sci-fi aliens and situations :P)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have probably mentioned it elsewhere recently but The Adventures of Tin Tin are action packed with comedy and mystery. I guess following the CGI kid-friendly adventure movie is Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole (which was legitimately the BEST movie ever to see in 3D)

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
2 hours ago, CheeseOverlord said:

If you're into anime, I really enjoyed Lucky Star, because it's just about a group of friends hanging out, and having fun together. I think romance was only mentioned in one or two scenes, and even then it was brief.

Lucky Star is... kinda grossly sexual though. I mean, it is definitely a funny and relatable show with fantastic music, but it's also designed to brainwash you into buying Haruhi DVDs pretty creepy re: teenage girls, in the way that most anime of its genre are. I think that's worth mentioning, at least.

9 hours ago, Jot-Aro Kujo said:

Lucky Star is... kinda grossly sexual though. I mean, it is definitely a funny and relatable show with fantastic music, but it's also designed to brainwash you into buying Haruhi DVDs pretty creepy re: teenage girls, in the way that most anime of its genre are. I think that's worth mentioning, at least.

Yeah, you're right, I should have mentioned that. I personally find that kind of thing really funny, but it's definitely not for everyone.
Most anime is pretty grossly sexual though (it's kind of how they do over there).

I wonder if OP is still asking for suggestions 2,5 years later :D

Anyway, for those who like sci-fi, The Expanse is very light on romance. There's like one romantic relationship which doesn't take up much focus at all, and lots of other great relationships. Not much sex either (don't let the sex scene in the pilot fool you) The female characters get to be prominent without having to be paired up with the men.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have been less tolerant of romance recently and that made me discover some things, most notably the movie Cellular ! it is an action movie from the 2000s with some marginal scenes of a married couple, but most of that is worry about keeping everyone alive. certainly no gushy romantic stuff.

Jackpot! I found a stylish action movie with male and female characters and absolutely 0% romance: Hitman: Agent 47

The first Hitman movie also has little romance, but he touches her tattoo a few too many times for comfort, plus there is the whole sex slave thing where they refer to the master/slave relationship in terms of boyfriend/girlfriend/mistress. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...