Should we have an 'Aromantic Pride and Culture' subforum? (poll)

Cassiopeia

Should we have an 'Aromantic Pride and Culture' subforum? (poll)  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Proposed description:

Aromantic Pride and Culture

description: Would you like to see your orientation represented in the media? Have you found an aro themed video, fanfiction, have new a headcanon or would you like some aro friendly book, movie, webcomic, or music recommendations? Want to talk about flags and other ways to show your pride? Would you like to get creative?

We have talked about it in the mod forum, and we came to the conclusion that other users should have a say as well. 

Short summary of the collected pros and cons so far:

Pros: 

-it would be a great way to promote cultural activities and projects to bring the community closer to people
-engaging in minority cultures is fun, but also can help people who are questionng or dealing with self hate, loneliness, and helps to build a community
-inspiring topics that are currently scattered all over the forum, mostly burried in the Off Topic (technically they aren't really off topic) or similar places would get more focus, such as the Movie Club thread.
-we already have plenty of content that could go there, for example:

Cons: 
-making a new subforum every time someone has an idea about something may eventually make it a tad cluttered
-it's hard to delete an unsuccessful subforum
-possible  dilution of the content and dead forums (see the "romantic allies" subforum for example)
-making a new sub forum when everything is fine isn't strictly necessary

So what do you people think? Is it a good idea? Do you find it interesting? Would you use it? Would you read it? Any comments or suggestions content wise?

(Poll is going to be locked in a weeks time)

• Like 3

I think it is an interesting idea. I don't really care either way, but if it does get made, I'd like it to do well. My biggest concern is it ending up like the "romantic allies" forum.

7 hours ago, Zemaddog said:

I think it is an interesting idea. I don't really care either way, but if it does get made, I'd like it to do well. My biggest concern is it ending up like the "romantic allies" forum.

Sorry, I forgot to copy this part. @Blue Phoenix Ace said something very similar.

In my opinion that particular subforum is dead because aromanticism works differently than asexuality. 

Its sibling forum is needed and it works well on AVEN because romantic aces are dating sexual people who have no idea how to handle that situation. 

Aros in general aren't too keen on getting into any relationships with romantic people, or to have exclusivity with them.  

Or if we do, sexual friendships aren't such a new concept, they are not going to come to this forum to ask about why they are being "friendzoned"...   Basically the way we feel or don't feel is not as obviously performative like sexuality, and we are a lot less likely to get into a situation where we are expected to romance someone.

One point I tried making is that you could take the forum as a whole as a culture. We have a group of 3-400 people in total, with a decent handful of people participating in a wide group of things, from discussion within the sexuality/gender forum, relationships, and the stuff in the aro discussion forum, as well as all the posting games and stuff in the arcade. With all these people come together that have something in common, you could say that's culture in itself, so I don't find it necessary to create a new subforum for it when it's something that is all over the forum in the first place.

On 17/12/2016 at 10:28 AM, Cassiopeia said:

In my opinion that particular subforum is dead because aromanticism works differently than asexuality. 

Its sibling forum is needed and it works well on AVEN because romantic aces are dating sexual people who have no idea how to handle that situation.

I agree that they do work rather differently.
Romantic relationships without sex are not an unknown concept (especially amongst "no sex before marriage" subcultures). There's also the way in which many things in society assume that people are in couples.

Many aromantic people are interested in taking part in social events, but can find it difficult if there's an assumption of people being coupled. Possibly many alloromantic people don't know how to handle someone who isn't interested in being coupled.

Aros in general aren't too keen on getting into any relationships with romantic people, or to have exclusivity with them.  

Nothing stops aros becoming sexually, sensually, aesthetically, etc. to alloromantic people. Especially if these are the only people they ever meet.
Not seeking exclusivity is also to be a problem. Due to it being expected in all sorts of ways (not just sexually).

Or if we do, sexual friendships aren't such a new concept

Which are often looked down on or considered quite disposable.

they are not going to come to this forum to ask about why they are being "friendzoned"...

Seems more likely that they'd want to know "WTF is a QPR?"; "Why does someone want to do only part of a relationship?"; etc.

Basically the way we feel or don't feel is not as obviously performative like sexuality, and we are a lot less likely to get into a situation where we are expected to romance someone.

Whilst not as obvious it's certainly present.
I've certainly felt pressure to be interested in romance or be assumed to be asexual.
Also things like "plus one" invites. Not being invited at all if you are "single". The concept of "two's company three's a crowd".

• Like 1