Changing your gender and pronouns on social media

Philbo Wiseroot

Have you changed your gender or pronouns on social media?  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm tempted to change it on Facebook, but I don't know if it's going to post an announcement on my timeline or not. I don't want it to, honestly... I just want it to be a stealthy background change that most people won't even notice.

9 minutes ago, SoulWolf said:

I'm tempted to change it on Facebook, but I don't know if it's going to post an announcement on my timeline or not. I don't want it to, honestly... I just want it to be a stealthy background change that most people won't even notice.

According to @Zae it doesn't announce it to the world. And I've just found this:

Facebook worked closely with LGBT activist groups to compile the new list of gender-identity options. Facebook also added a new privacy option that lets users select who sees their gender:

“We also have added the ability for people to control the audience with whom they want to share their custom gender. We recognize that some people face challenges sharing their true gender identity with others, and this setting gives people the ability to express themselves in an authentic way.”

This lets users block certain less tolerant people from seeing their gender identity.

I changed my gender to "let's see if you notice" and hidden it to make sure.

E6sia6n.png

Awesome. I just changed mine to "earthling" and neutral "they" for pronouns... and no announcement was made anywhere. I can even limit who gets to see my weird earthling selection. I wonder what the other people see... or if I can just leave it blank. There's an option to make it so only I can see it, so I guess I might do that. No idea if anyone ever actually looks at that part of my profile anyway.

Since I added the pronoun thing, it's now listed on my profile. I kinda don't really want it there though... 'cause I don't care what people call me. I just wanted to change it so that Facebook itself will use "they" instead of "she" in their birthday announcements and whatever else they use it for... meh.

I updated my Facebook information about a month ago, using a profile picture change to point out the change in name/gender/pronouns. At that point, my Facebook was horrendously out of date; before I updated my information in November, my most recent photos were from June, when I still had hair down to my knees and wasn't even two months into HRT. By the time I changed my profile picture, I was largely out to the majority of the people in my day-to-day life, so this mostly helped me come out to people who had slipped through the cracks.

The response was unanimously positive. The new profile is one of my most-liked things I ever posted on Facebook (second only to my "I won a concerto competition" post in 2014 and not by much,) and even people who I expected to chew me out for not coming out to them sooner reacted just fine. I even have unaccepting extended family on my Facebook, and as far as I can tell, they either ignored it, didn't see it, or haven't pieced together that it's me. Regardless, I definitely feel much better about using my Facebook now that it's properly updated.

I've found it has some strange effects with some of the online quizzes linked to facebook.
Either assuming NOT male equals female or giving null results.

• 8 months later...

Archived