Being naked in front of others?

Philbo Wiseroot

I wear panties 100% of the time (bath/showering excluded), going comando/full monty just feels wrong to me. If I am comfortable with people I am okay showing them more skin than I would in public but I wouldn't be naked and lounging around. There have been a few times when my neighbours have caught me walking around the house in my underwear and they have made it really awkward, so that is not something I want to repeat, but darn it, it is my place! so I still walk around in my underwear and just hope they are more wary or will react as the non-event that it is. 

• 3 months later...

I'm ok with nudity around family I'm comfortable with (as in we both know each other for so long that we mutually don't mind each other being naked) and it depends on the place. Saunas/spas and gym locker rooms seem like it would be common for people to be undressed for shower/cleaning purposes.

In the end, I can do it (in fact, I remember having to be the first person to undress/change in the locker despite it not really counting as full nudity when we were told that was what we have to do in my middle school days before heading out for P.E.) but that doesn't mean I'll want to around just anyone.

On 11/30/2016 at 2:31 PM, Euracil said:

Although I do generally consider myself as asexual, I do have to say that I'm still a little confused. It's hard say if this sexual attraction or just fetishism, but I have always held some sort of... let's say "erotic appreciation" for the male form. The idea of being naked and having close contact with another guy does sound appealing to me, but the idea of having sex... not so much. Ideally I'd like to be naked with another guy who feels the same way as me because I don't know how I would deal with someone who only sees being naked and snuggling as a means to and end (sex) rather than an end in itself.

I can see myself enjoying the intimacy of being naked with someone I trust without actually having sex although it doesn't sound that practical in the first place unless it's a really hot day maybe...Or a shower?

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...
On 11/25/2016 at 5:53 PM, Philbo Wiseroot said:

I'm curious as to whether us aros are comfortable with being naked around others. It was inspired by this post on AVEN.

Personally, I can only be naked if it's practical, or if I'm comfortable with everyone in the room at the time.

That's pretty much the same reason for me. I don't like my body so the amount of skin exposure I give depends on how comfortable I am with others and if it's required in certain circumstances or situations.

On my own, no problem.  I typically prefer to wear clothes, but if it's hot, or if I've just gotten out of the shower, then sure.  As for being around other people, living in Japan has gotten me more comfortable being around people naked-- Onsen culture and all that.  I'm still a little uncomfortable being around my partner naked, but I can do it.  I just extremely prefer to wear clothes 90% of the time.

• 2 weeks later...

This is something that's taken on new meaning for me since transitioning (to male)

If transphobia weren't really a thing, I wouldn't mind being naked in a venue where people just are. A venue where it's appropriate. Old country still has public bathing. Parents also do the logical thing and bathe with their small kids instead of washing them while being fully clothed, getting soaked, and who knows what they're thinking.

Keep in mind, onsen and stuff is all gender-segregated. I wouldn't care, but thanks to misogyny, most women probably wouldn't feel safe.

But being trans in a bigoted world (thanks, Europe) means it's just not *safe* for me. Gym locker rooms and showers, onsen, etc., not safe. 

So I have no real *internal* problem with it, but unfortunately, if I don't externally stay the heck away from stuff like that, I might wind up dead (and only close personal relations would care because I'm Asian and trans male. The Web, news, and even Trans Day of Remembrance wouldn't) 

I hate it, mostly because of severe dysphoria.

I don't necessarily see it as inherently sexual either.

Maybe that's just the grey-ace in me talking though ?

1 hour ago, AroAnomaly said:

I hate it, mostly because of severe dysphoria.

I don't necessarily see it as inherently sexual either.

Maybe that's just the grey-ace in me talking though ?

It's not necessarily sexual as a force of nature, just in Western culture. I'm assuming yours is a Western one, but I just mean that it's not a innate and unfailing human thing to find it sexual, but a cultural judgement whether it is or not. 

Even some European cultures didn't always consider it so. Ancient Greece had public bathing like my old country still does, but I think it was a habitual part of life, not a nice relaxing vacation. I have no idea about modern Greece. 

Bathhouses where they exist in the US seem to be sexual (or at least they were in Los Angeles) but again, culture dependent and not *innate*

Point made. 

11 hours ago, chairdesklamp said:

It's not necessarily sexual as a force of nature, just in Western culture. I'm assuming yours is a Western one, but I just mean that it's not a innate and unfailing human thing to find it sexual, but a cultural judgement whether it is or not. 

Even some European cultures didn't always consider it so. Ancient Greece had public bathing like my old country still does, but I think it was a habitual part of life, not a nice relaxing vacation. I have no idea about modern Greece. 

Bathhouses where they exist in the US seem to be sexual (or at least they were in Los Angeles) but again, culture dependent and not *innate*

Point made. 

Thank you for educating me!

• Like 1

I actually enjoy it, I've slept (with no sex) in one bed with a few of my friends and it was no different from them being clothed. I sometimes notice I can hang my eye on some part of them, but that also happens when they are clothed. And me being naked is something I learned to be ok with, but with friends who I know are body positive or with people I have sex with and don't care what they think. At the same time in public I sometimes suck my stomach in...

• 1 month later...

I've recently identified myself as non-binary, and at least in theory I don't feel as uncomfortable with it as I now do with presenting in a way that seems too masculine with my clothes. There's a swimming area in nature near me that people unofficially treat as clothing-optional, and so far I've been too nervous to skinnydip there except when there is clearly no one else around but I feel I would be more comfortable with it with friends or in a place outside my town where it's officially allowed.

• 4 weeks later...

I constantly wear a hoodie IRL, and I absolutely hate taking it off, even in front of my closest friends, so being naked in front of anyone is a definite no for me. I've even considered getting a shirt and shorts to wear when I go swimming in place of a swimsuit