Aromantic Confessions

Cereal Tendencies

On 12/7/2016 at 10:44 AM, cute kitty Meow! Mewo! said:

I just don't like being needed I guess. 

^^^^^ THIS. SO MUCH THIS. I hate the idea of people "needing" each other, ESPECIALLY IF IT'S ME. It's not flattering, it's repulsive. I want to be in parallel with you, not intertwined with you.  

• Like 7

I confess that in sixth grade, I had a "crush" which I literally just picked from a list of girls I knew. I decided one day that I wanted a crush, so I went and picked one out from the people in my classes. I never told her or tried to do anything about it though, because why would I EVER do something like that? I don't mean to suggest that I have much psychologically in common with Heath Ledger's rendition of The Joker, but honestly. I was like a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do if I actually caught one. 

• Like 6

On 12/13/2016 at 5:31 PM, Cereal Tendencies said:

That feeling when you want to marry rich and enjoy life, but then your brain reminds you that you're aro/ace :facepalm:

Since I'm allosexual, ngl, I've considered this as a possibility/fair trade, especially if the rich husband travels a lot. xD

8 hours ago, Untamed Heart said:

As in, actually keeping the rich husband around for company, not bumping him off and making it look like an accident, so you then become rich and single again? :P

....plan b, lol. 

(I'm awful)

• Like 4

Same tho. Plus it would be gloriously convenient not to have to pay for grad school with a teacher salary. Then again, I should probably stop fantasizing about how I could manipulate my rich future-wife...

As hilarious and useful as that would be...

:evilgrin:

*over-the-top evil villain laughter*

• Like 4

There have been times where I wished that a friend would get dumped by their SO so that I could spend more time with them... and comfort them... and then they'd realize that friendship is better than all that relationship BS after all... and we'd live happily ever after, as friends. 9_9

... maybe not quite that dramatic, but... you get the idea...

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Ace of Amethysts said:

I confess that I`m not a fan of the allo prefix myself, but if you wanna use it then go ahead, I`m not picky. Here, have ice cream. :icecream::icecream::icecream:

What about the z/zed/zee alternative?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Untamed Heart said:

That one's fairly new to me, too, but I still prefer allo because I find it easier to remember.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that 'allo' actually has a meaning ('other') whereas the prefix 'zed' was just picked because it's the opposite end of the alphabet compared to a.

• Like 4

On 25/12/2016 at 8:58 AM, Untamed Heart said:

I honestly hadn't heard that, I thought allo and zed were the same thing. At least, the way I've seen them used suggests they are. But I could be wrong.

They are used the same way, yes. But some people are transitioning over to using the term 'zed' because some sexual/romantic people has expressed their distaste for the term. Which, might I add, is not usually because of the specific meaning of the prefix 'allo' (other). The most common thing I've heard is that they just want to be called sexual/romantic. So changing to 'zed' doesn't really make that much sense. Except for the people who are actually offended by 'allo' for whatever reason.

I confess that I still have no idea whether or not I'd actually enjoy a romantic relationship. Just because I've never experienced romantic attraction to date, doesn't mean I'm sure I never will. I have no idea. I think it seems too stiffling, as I even have trouble with platonic relationships (friendships) sometimes. But I don't know.

• Like 2

Well, that does make sense so thanks for explaining :) 

I feel similarly to you about romantic relationships, even though I've had my fair share. I only really enjoyed my very first one, and it was still stressful (we weren't meant to be together in the first place due to his religion, and I was afraid I'd lose contact with him - no internet at home, being picked on for using the college computers to email him every day, then having barely enough money to buy credit for my phone - back in the days when texts cost about 12p each and mobile phone calls were worth a mortgage - and I'm really shy/easily intimidated). I've always ended up feeling trapped, numb and/or generally horrible and yet, even though I still like and prefer being single anyway, I can't 100% discount the possibility I might meet someone one day, and be magically totally OK having a romance with them. I just wouldn't bet any money on it happening lol!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dodgypotato said:

Except for the people who are actually offended by 'allo' for whatever reason.

It's like those people who are offended by being called "cis". Like, that prefix makes perfect sense, but frim what I can tell there are two main reasons for people not liking it. 1) Cis people should just be called "normal" or "straight". 2) There are people who use "cis" as an insult. 

The first reason is nonsensical. For one "straight" is for sexuality, and two, it's best to avoid using the word "normal" when talking about this sort of stuff for a variety of reasons I'm not gonna mention here. The second reason makes a bit of sense, except that the people who use "cis" as an insult are the loud minority and are most often on tumblr. I don't like those people because they're doing something which I cannot stand: hating on someone for something out of their control. 

• Like 9

On 12/29/2016 at 1:39 AM, Ace of Amethysts said:

I confess that I have no idea what my attitude towards romantic relationships is.

And that's perfectly OK :)

Mine is mostly "meh, they exist and that's fine, just please don't shove it in my face". Though I would like mine and @Dodgypotato's idea for romance-repelling hoodies (and sweaters for @aihpen :P) to be a thing for when I'm feeling particularly aro.

• Like 9

On 24/12/2016 at 8:59 PM, Dodgypotato said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that 'allo' actually has a meaning ('other') whereas the prefix 'zed' was just picked because it's the opposite end of the alphabet compared to a.

I'm guessing that 'allo' was originally chosen because 'sinsexual' would confuse too many people.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, omitef said:

sinsexual, cosexual, tansexual, arcsinsexual, arccosexual, arctansexual, cscsexual, secsexual, cotsexual................................

hypsinsexual, hypcossexual, hyptansexual, expsexual, logsexual...

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Ace of Amethysts said:

I confess that I would instantly buy an aro (or ace) T-shirt.

They do have aro and ace shirts in some places online, I think. And I would buy them if I felt like telling people I was ace/aro xD

• Like 5