The US Election Results

DannyFenton123

As I'm unable to vote I just have to sit back and watch my future be destroyed. And nobody cares because I'm young and my opinion doesn't matter... I'm just supposed to sit back and swallow the cold hard truth about the horrible world my country's people are building for me?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Spoiler

This whole year sounds more and more like the events leading to section in a history textbook. And its so grotesque, because when we were learning about those eras, the whole class was like 'why did people not just get the heck out of there'. It made sense. Except now I started to realise its not that simple.This isn't the fourties, its a whole different world, and there is some scary stuff out there. 

All I ever wanted in life is to feel safe...ish.

Oh dear, I'm not even American.

I'm just scared. I guess the best we can do is to support each other.

3 hours ago, Cassiopeia said:
  Hide contents

This whole year sounds more and more like the events leading to section in a history textbook. And its so grotesque, because when we were learning about those eras, the whole class was like 'why did people not just get the heck out of there'. It made sense. Except now I started to realise its not that simple.This isn't the fourties, its a whole different world, and there is some scary stuff out there. 

All I ever wanted in life is to feel safe...ish.

Oh dear, I'm not even American.

I'm just scared. I guess the best we can do is to support each other.

Absolutely. I've had this sense for a long time now. It's a sickening feeling when you realize that the history being made before your eyes is the wrong kind. It doesn't help to make it seem any more real, either--I still don't think I've processed the situation fully yet because my brain just kind of refuses to grasp the enormity of it as a self-defense mechanism. I don't even know what to do anymore. As an op-ed from a local news site recently said, the curse "may you live in interesting times" is definitely in full effect right now, and I don't even want to know what it's going to look like when it comes to a head.

6 hours ago, Simowl said:
14 hours ago, Louis Hypo said:

As much as I hate him, Donald Trump won. Can't we just give him a chance at presidency and then get angry? And if this is remembered as a monumental mock-up of the world we'll never do it again.

I don't think we need to give him a chance. His entire platform was based on hatred. There's going to be a rise in hate crimes (if it hasn't happened already), just like we saw with Brexit.

The problem is, now that he's been elected, if he was to be removed from this position it'd just cause the people who feel empowered by his victory to get mad. And that would just lead to more violence and hate crimes. The best people can do is to not retaliate. I know that's really easy for me to say because I am at no risk. But you can't counter hate with more hate. All that does is leave the world worse off than where we started. And we really don't want things to get worse than they already are.

2 hours ago, Dodecahedron314 said:

Absolutely. I've had this sense for a long time now. It's a sickening feeling when you realize that the history being made before your eyes is the wrong kind. It doesn't help to make it seem any more real, either--I still don't think I've processed the situation fully yet because my brain just kind of refuses to grasp the enormity of it as a self-defense mechanism. I don't even know what to do anymore. As an op-ed from a local news site recently said, the curse "may you live in interesting times" is definitely in full effect right now, and I don't even want to know what it's going to look like when it comes to a head.

Spoiler

same here pretty much. 

ok this is a bit tmi, but its I now this kind of language because I had to listen to it. I know the patterns, the tactics and they make me wnat to run for my life, and I am always surprised how much it winds me up.

I'm not American.... and atm, I'm very glad of that.  I'm sick with worry for people I've come to care about here and on AVEN whose lives will be made so much more difficult - perhaps even endangered or ended because of the dismal, bleak, heartbreaking results of this infernal election.

We always hope that good will somehow manage to conquer evil, no matter the odds.  So many of our favourite books, movies, and games follow that theme.  Good always wins.  It *has* to, right?  Right?

Only this time, evil won.  Evil won.  And it has turned our lives upside-down.  We feel betrayed, forsaken, abandoned.  Our ideals (and idealism) have been trampled.  This should never happen!  This isn't how the story is supposed to go!  

But it has... and I guess all we can do is loudly, publicly object to every ignorant comment he and his repugnant running-mate make and *fight*, legally, all hateful policies they try to implement.  We can do this by volunteering our time and donating money/goods to groups like the ACLU (American Civil Liberties Union - going to be *very* important in the coming years!), Planned Parenthood, HRC (Human Rights Campaign), and many others.  We can do this by boldly confronting friends and family who make ignorant comments, in person or online.  We can do this by pushing back against ignorance by studying hard and learning all we can so we have the verbal ammunition to counter the ugly propaganda that the republicans spew.

If you can't fight openly, for whatever reason, you can still do your part.  Scrape together your pocket change and have a sympathetic friend donate it to a liberal cause you support.  Befriend a bullied gay/lesbian/bi/queer/NB/trans/etc. person at your school or workplace.  Help a friend find safe resources to fight parents who are looking into putting that friend into discredited 'therapies'.  Even if it isn't safe for you to fight out loud, you can be an undercover resistance fighter on the side of Good.  After all, Good needs all the help it can get right now!

I think to clarify me previous rambling I'll say this: Trump won so now we need to move onto trying to defeat/reject his agenda by sticking together, supporting one another and helping those who will be shunned and neglected by the big bad. Also I don't know how this can be changed with him in charge, but better education means better people and kinder, less bigoted people too. There is no way the man getting the angry majority on his side would support this but let's not forget that no-one is born hating, and if we can be taught to hate we can be taught to love.

On 10/11/2016 at 4:33 PM, Kojote said:

There are going to be a lot of important elections in Europa next year. Most importantly the ones in France and Germany (we currently have the AfD to worry about aka the "alternative for germany"... which is uncannily similar to Americas new alt-right movement). The outcome of those elections will have mayor consequences on the EU and the landscape of Europe in general (because of Brexit consequences. a thing that's currently put on hold). And then there's your country, Norway, as well as Netherlands and the Chez Republic. While I'm also genuinely worried about the US, I'm also horrified by the implications a Trump presidency might have on a global scale...

Only time will tell

yes it's won't look good as it becomes more and more normalized when these things both happent in US and EU.

i'm very much aware of what happening where I live now.. -__- one of the most popular parties are pretty simular to trump in many ways, and one of their speakers made a very simular trump speak about imigrents saying "they steal, they rape and they kill"

then there are 2 parties that is even more extreme one is in, and one who got a pre-nazi leader (I am not even sure I should put pre- first here)

is close to get in as well.

its really scary and I also had "the talk" with my parents about my citizianship and suchs. I start to worry about such things now and im very white, so I can't imagine how bad it would be for Poc and muslims.

With hard times ahead, this video describes what we can do; what everyone can do, to stay united against the threats. (0:30 for message)

Spoiler

Also I saw a tick list with Brexit then Trump ticked off followed by France's alt-right, Germany's AfD and then the world blowing up. I hope Britain gets Corbyn not too soon and other countries get the satisfaction of anti-establishment figures who also support equality and benevolence (not hatred and mob mentality). Basically I want a person of the people who actually is of the people. But that's just me and if you disagree, good.

Trying to be hopeful here, but you guys still have the midterm elections, right (2018)? Right now, everything is republican dominated and he'll have an easy time, since they'll probably work with him, but if he get's an opposition like the one Obama had for a lot of his stuff, his policies and proposals, and therefore his powers as the president, will be heavily restricted until the next election. That'll cut his time of power almost in half because you'll be putting shackles on him and his cabinet of science-denying balls of human waste. And Trump is sure to hate that because he is not a patient man nor an avid learner. He'll sure as hell come to hate is new job all the more if he's fighting against windmills.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/7573296/presidential-election-over-2018-midterm-elections-next-whats-at-stake

We'll just have to see. With the Republicans controlling the Executive and Legislative branches already, with a conservative Judicial branch most likely soon to follow, they'll have plenty of time to move quickly between January 2017 and November 2018. Fortunately, I don't think it's as cut and dry as all that. They're Republican, but they aren't idiots (well not all of them). Some will disagree with the new prez on some policies. It's also possible for a Dem to side with Trump on some policies as well.

When it comes to doing something like "building a wall between Mexico and the US that Mexico will pay for", that's going to be pretty tough to pass through all the checks and balances. Even trying to undo the Affordable Care Act would take quite some time. But, they could probably undo gay marriage rights. They can also shuffle budgets around and cause many other messes.

I know, it's scary. But, let's hope that when Trump sits in that chair in the Oval office, something changes. He may realize how difficult it is to follow through on his empty promises. He might actually become a better person. We can all hope.

Well Scalia was already right wing and he was part of the court that originally said yes to gay marriage rights. He was against it, meaning all pro voices are still in the supreme court as of right now. Adding in another right wing judge to replace him probably won't do much to change the Judical branch from Obama times. And the president alone can't overrule a court decision. 

So same sex marriage probably won't be at risk unless other judges die, but other LGBTQ rights might very well be....

I don't know which ones, but its thought that another 3 judges could retire within the next few years.

Hopefully the liberal ones will hold on until the next president when someone more liberal could be possibly be appointed.

3 hours ago, Simowl said:

I don't know which ones, but its thought that another 3 judges could retire within the next few years.

Hopefully the liberal ones will hold on until the next president when someone more liberal could be possibly be appointed.

That is because 3 of the judges are close to or above 80 years old, which is around the age Scalia died. They don't have to retire, though. There is no deadline so they'll either step down or die in office. I remember two of them being liberal so yeah.... hope they hold on .__. 
Replacing Scalia with another ultra-right judge won't change much from the previous court dynamic though. And if the remaining judges hold out until midterm elections and the democrats get a lead in the senat, Trump won't have an easy time appointing judges and shifting the judical branch further to the right.

I'm just going to drop this link here.

https://www.aclu.org/feature/donald-trump-one-man-constitutional-crisis

My apologies for not speaking much now and in general. All too often there are times when I simply do not have the stamina or the words to properly and seriously convey my thoughts and emotions, especially due to recent events.

Guys, here's a message I've just found: 
http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/campaign/305812-democrats-have-one-final-shot-to-flip-a-senate-seat
I haven't done any further research on this yet and I probably won't, since I can't use this information (being german and all), but maybe this is something the americans in this forum should really read up on. It might be the last thing you can actively change by voting until 2018. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a bit late to this but I just wanted to comment on something that I feel does not get enough attention in this election (and sorry if someone did already write this, parts of the posts I only skimmed).
Only a little more than 1/4 of all eligible voters in the US voted for Trump. He got fewer votes than Mitt Romney did in 2012. So many people didn't vote. This does not necessarily make it better but I do think it makes the focus of the problem different. The way I see it when bad things happen it's not due to terrible people being terrible. It's due to other people sitting back and letting it happen. So I suppose the best thing you Americans can do right now is to start the four year long campaign of getting people to take responsibility for the power they have as citizens of a democrazy and vote in the next election.
The same with all of us in other countries. With Brexit 2/3 of the young population did not vote. In my country the participation is high overall but very low in some groups of people.

I haven't said much about the election, but that's because my general reaction is just internal screaming and sobbing and wanting to throw up at the sight and sound of our newest President Elect.

18 hours ago, Holmbo said:

The way I see it when bad things happen it's not due to terrible people being terrible. It's due to other people sitting back and letting it happen.

I think there's a quote like that somewhere. It is incredibly frustrating to me how people don't vote*, seeing as at the moment I'm too young to vote though I desperately wanted to. My sister almost didn't vote because she felt it 'didn't count'. It counted all right. 

*people who don't vote because of apathy, not because of the many things things out of their control like being unable to get a day off because it's not an official holiday, being a resident of a US colony, not living anywhere near a polling station, having a felony conviction, restrictive voter fraud laws... etc. There's definitely a portion of US citizens who just don't feel bothered to vote, but it's also important to remember that a lot of people in marginalised groups go through a hell of a time trying to do so.

2 hours ago, DannyFenton123 said:

I haven't said much about the election, but that's because my general reaction is just internal screaming and sobbing and wanting to throw up at the sight and sound of our newest President Elect.

20 hours ago, Holmbo said:

The way I see it when bad things happen it's not due to terrible people being terrible. It's due to other people sitting back and letting it happen.

I think there's a quote like that somewhere. It is incredibly frustrating to me how people don't vote*, seeing as at the moment I'm too young to vote though I desperately wanted to. My sister almost didn't vote because she felt it 'didn't count'. It counted all right. 

*people who don't vote because of apathy, not because of the many things things out of their control like being unable to get a day off because it's not an official holiday, being a resident of a US colony, not living anywhere near a polling station, having a felony conviction, restrictive voter fraud laws... etc. There's definitely a portion of US citizens who just don't feel bothered to vote, but it's also important to remember that a lot of people in marginalised groups go through a hell of a time trying to do so.

This makes me wonder how different the election result would have been if voting was compulsory like it is in Australia. I'm willing to bet, very different. I mean just look at this map:

http://brilliantmaps.com/did-not-vote/

1 hour ago, Zemaddog said:

This makes me wonder how different the election result would have been if voting was compulsory like it is in Australia. I'm willing to bet, very different. I mean just look at this map:

Just out of curiosity, how do they make voting compulsory in Australia? I have a feeling the US would have been in a dramatically different place for centuries--possibly from the outset--if it were done that way here right from the start.

2 minutes ago, Dodecahedron314 said:

Just out of curiosity, how do they make voting compulsory in Australia? I have a feeling the US would have been in a dramatically different place for centuries--possibly from the outset--if it were done that way here right from the start.

They fine you. Not sure how much it is though. Of course, realistically you just have to show up and get your name crossed off so you don't techinically need to vote. But if you've done all that you might as well vote. And that nonsense about requiring an id to vote in America? None of that. Oh, and election day is always a Saturday, not Tuesday to make it easier for more people to vote on the day. Who decided that Tuesday was a good day for an election. Silly America.

8 minutes ago, Zemaddog said:

Who decided that Tuesday was a good day for an election. Silly America.

Ages ago, when people had to go by horse and cart or whatever to go cast their ballot, Tuesday was picked because it was two days after the Sabbath, allowing time to travel. It's one of America's many hangups from the past that in today's world is outdated and inconvenient ¬¬

3 hours ago, Zemaddog said:

I remember learning about that law in the run up to the 2010 election. Plus if people are forced to vote quite a few of them might go for a third party in protest of the establishment... which is probably why that law will never extend to the US or UK.

Archived