Sexuality and Finger Lengths

aussiekirkland

So I know there's been studies done about the length of your index and ring finger corresponding to your sexuality with gay men typically having longer index fingers, straight men with longer ring fingers, straight women with even finger lengths and lesbians with longer ring fingers. I was wondering how this data fits the aromantic community so post your data in the comments :P

This is all in good fun so I'll kick this off: I'm an aromantic asexual woman and my ring finger is longer than my index finger.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, aussiekirkland said:

So I know there's been studies done about the length of your index and ring finger corresponding to your sexuality with gay men typically having longer index fingers, straight men with longer ring fingers, straight women with even finger lengths and lesbians with longer ring fingers. I was wondering how this data fits the aromantic community so post your data in the comments :P

Interesting. No men with equal index and ring fingers or women with longer index than ring fingers?
Looks like a study of monosexuals only. As well as it being very unclear if this is ment to apply to sexual or romantic orientation.

I'm male bodied, aromantic, pansexual (my sensual, aesthetic and platonic attractions also "pan") with ring fingers longer than index fingers. 

I'm AMAB aro ace with ring fingers longer than index fingers.

I'd also like to point out that correlation causation. I seriously don't believe for a second that your orientation (be it sexual or romantic) has any effect on the lengths of your index and ring fingers.

• Like 5

I'm aro ace and afab and my index fingers are longer than my ring fingers.

I don't believe the length of my fingers could have anything to do with my orientation... How do people even come up with the idea to make a study about that? xD

• Like 4

Hahaha I can't believe a team of reseachers actually bothered to do a study about this! It must have been an extra thing they just noticed with some random other study... Right??

Anyway I'm AFAB with a longer ring finger. Guess I'm actually gay!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dodgypotato said:

Hahaha I can't believe a team of reseachers actually bothered to do a study about this! It must have been an extra thing they just noticed with some random other study...

Considering some of the things I've heard about being studied I can believe that this is real "research".

• Like 1

I heard the finger length thing was related to how much estrogen/testosterone you were exposed to before birth--longer ring finger = more testosterone, longer index finger = more estrogen. I'd link to where I found that if it hadn't been hundreds of pages ago in an AVEN thread.

Agender AFAB aroace with longer ring fingers than index fingers. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dodecahedron314 said:

I heard the finger length thing was related to how much estrogen/testosterone you were exposed to before birth--longer ring finger = more testosterone, longer index finger = more estrogen.

With there also being theories that these hormone exposures somehow determine sexual orientation.
So it's a sort of C causes A and B, thus there is a correlation between A & B.

In the process ignoring that "gender" is not a binary of "man" or "woman" nor is it the same thing as "sex".

Sexual orientation is not binary either. With polysexual and asexual people typically being ignored.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Mark said:

With there also being theories at these hormone exposures somehow determine sexual orientation.
So it's a sort of C causes A and B, thus there is a correlation between A & B.

In the process ignoring that "gender" is not a binary of "man" or "woman" nor is it the same thing as "sex".

Sexual orientation is not binary either. With polysexual and asexual people typically being ignored.

Yeah, i originally heard this in the context of AFABs with loinger ring fingers and AMABs with longer index fingers being more likely to be trans rather than gay. (Sorry for the typos, my tablet is messing up so i can't fix it)

• 2 weeks later...

Small hands with index fingers being bigger than the rings. Complex hetero gray-romantic gray-ace (though predominantly repulsed to both romance and sex) and female.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 22.09.2016 at 7:25 AM, aussiekirkland said:

(...) gay men typically having longer index fingers, straight men with longer ring fingers, straight women with even finger lengths and lesbians with longer ring fingers.

Then asexuals don't have fingers ;)

• Like 3

On 9/22/2016 at 6:25 AM, aussiekirkland said:

with gay men typically having longer index fingers, straight men with longer ring fingers

I'm a heterosexual guy.

And my ring fingers are quite noticably longer that my index fingers on both hands (probably by around 1cm)

Theory proven, case closed :P

I've already answered in this thread. But I felt that I should point out that both my parents' ring fingers are longer than their index fingers. I have no evidence suggesting that they are anything but heterosexual and heteromantic. So I'm gonna take a stab and say that my ring finger is longer because of them.

• Like 1

I am very skeptical that this is actually true... for one, because I have heard of the "If your ring finger is longer than your index finger, then you are A; if your index is longer than your ring, then B" in another context before that wasn't to do with orientation.  I would like to see a reference to the study, know their sample size, method, and how statistically significant their result was.

As for my finger lengths, I can change how I hold my hand (still holding it flat) and change which one looks longer... so method is important.  

• Like 1

I'm AFAB, aroace, and my ring finger is approximately a centimeter longer than my index finger

Also, my mom's are even and my dad has a longer ring finger. (Both straight, as far as I know)

2 hours ago, SoulWolf said:

Not many people's ring and index fingers seem to be the exact same length here... mine are... am I weird? :rofl: 

Nope ! I'm on the same boat as you \o/.

But only for the right hand... My left hand has a longer ring finger against the index one ( the weirder, the better !)... xD. Oh and I'm female, aromantic and bisexual !

8 hours ago, NullVector said:

Theory proven, case closed :P

So theory absolutely not proven and case reopened :P!

• Like 1