Where are you from?

Josie

• 6 months later...

I'm from Germany.

We're mostly known for our history (WWI, WWII, Nazis...) but nowadays Germany's a great country. Most people are very accepting and open-minded. A weird thing Germans do is that we don't show any national pride (Nationalstolz) except for sports events. This is mainly because of our bad past with being proud of Germany (*cough* WWII *cough*). It also means that Americans are just plain weird to Germans.

Life as a German is fairly easy but also stressful. Easy because we're a pretty free country with good healthcare and schools and all that. Stressful because the most common German values include punctuality ("Fünf Minuten vor der Zeit, ist des Deutschen Pünktlichkeit"/Five minutes early is a Germans punctuality), order and fast quality work.

Something you should know is that not all Germans wear Lederhosen. That's just the south. As a person living in the north of Germany, I've almost never seen anybody wearing them. Most German stereotypes are about Bavarians. Still, most Germans like to drink, eat sausage and potatoes and drive faster than 130 km/h on the Autobahn (the German highway).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm originally from Texas!

It is a big place. I grew up on a farm in the flat mostly-empty part in the northwestern end of the state (as in "flat enough you can see thunderstorms from almost a hundred miles away"). 78 miles to the nearest actual "big city" (Lubbock, slightly more than that to Amarillo) and 15 to the nearest "town"... so pretty much the middle of nowhere? It's the part of Texas where a lot of the big ranches were back in the day, and there weren't enough people in the county for it to even be considered "rural" (In my childhood geography textbook, there was a map with all the counties color coded so you could see whether they were "urban" or "rural" or whatever... and the one I lived in was genuinely listed as "frontier". And the population has decreased considerably since I lived there...)

[and yes, I do introduce myself as being "from Texas" rather than "American" most of the time. ?]

And then I lived in the UK for the last three years, which was lovely.

And now I'm back in the USA in Tennessee, which is where my mother's family was from to begin with (although I'm on the other end of the state from them at the moment)

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/5/2020 at 10:08 AM, Morgenfluss said:

Most German stereotypes are about Bavarians. Still, most Germans like to drink, eat sausage and potatoes and drive faster than 130 km/h on the Autobahn (the German highway).

Another German here, though the only stereotype of those that fits me is that I like to eat potatoes ?

As you said culture is very different in all parts of the country. I live in the centre close to Frankfurt. What I like about that is that it is very convenient location to travel all over Germany and Europe.

If you think Washington is too rainy, try Ketchikan where it rains every day.  If you think the American South is conservative, Alaskans actually elect nutjobs like Sarah Palin & Wally Hickel.  

I was born in Ketchikan, Alaska; raised in The Kenai National Moose Range & later Aumsville, Oregon; I'm now in Salem, Oregon.  I have pictures of these places on my profile page under "about me."

Edited by 2 Spirit Cherokee Princess

I’m from the Midwest, USA. Yes, there’s a lot of corn. I live on my family’s farm somewhat in the middle of nowhere. While it might not have the best landscapes in the USA, there are beautiful forests, prairies, and creeks around. We definitely have problems but, I’m happy to live here. 

• 1 month later...

I’m from Poland. There’s a stereotype saying Polish people are drinking a lot of alcohol, especially vodka. I personally don’t like alcohol in any type. Other stereotype is Poland being full of people who tolerate diversity. The fact is many people here are xenophobic, rasist and queerphobic. I think a part of you already heard what is happening since last year. I’m living in a small city and I was working in a shop where one black woman was frequently doing shopping with her daughter and every time she entered I was worried about them or something like this.

• Sad 1

I'm from Arizona in the US, but I'd love to live somewhere with more rain. Temporarily, of course, I could never truly abandon AZ, monsoon season is too beautiful.  

And the sunsets! *chefs kiss*

Edited by Skylord

• 1 year later...

moon

... I live in south-eastern Australia, where's its not hot much unless summer and not deserty at all. The weather can be so changeable that in the early morning is might be foggy, then its sunny when it clears up, raining in the afternoon and clear again in the evening. That kind of thing happens more often in spring.

Christmas in the middle of summer is kind of a trip, though. Mythologising about snow and cold and warm hearthfires while the aircon's blasting because its 37C out. On the other hand, for family gatherings you can have people outside as well as inside.

A lot of the native birds are very pretty and a lot of them are kept as pets - I've seen people on tiktok with pet cockatiels, but they call them parakeets. That felt weird.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Im from Islamic Republic of Iran, for Short Iran, a country u can get jailed for being lgbtq  or if u do same sex as male u can get X-x , though transgender people , aromantic and asexual people in my country way safer 

also u have do to Hijab and if u dont u get in trouble

u should belive in god or u get in trouble

anything u do u get in trouble

such nice country nah great for going insane X0

On 1/26/2022 at 12:34 AM, Aya said:

I'm from Malaysia, a country where you can be jailed for being LGBT+ or killed for being an Atheist. Don't think I could be jailed for being Aromantic though, but I could be jailed(maybe killed) for being an atheist. ?

rip its same here tbh-

• Like 2

Wouldn’t have guessed there was anyone in Iran who knows obscure micro-labels like “soft-romo”.

22 hours ago, BloodyBlood said:

such nice country nah great for going insane X0

I like the Iranian domes, they’re nice…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeltaV said:

Wouldn’t have guessed there was anyone in Iran who knows obscure micro-labels like “soft-romo”.

I like the Iranian domes, they’re nice…

aww well, im complaining about government- who that ruined whole country and mess with people in country sadly...

situation here is hell :]

and well im  somehow into micro labels specially cause of my OCD wich make me get obsessive over anything ...

Edited by BloodyBlood
  • Like 1

On 2/24/2022 at 9:53 PM, BloodyBlood said:

aww well, im complaining about government- who that ruined whole country and mess with people in country sadly...

situation here is hell :]

I guess that I’m living in Hell World now anyway. There’s still a pandemic raging. And ~1000 km from where I live, there’s heavy fighting. A mad megalomaniac pushes the world to WW3 (what an irony that Soviet leaders – except the worst of the worst, i. e. Stalin – were more sane)… oh God …

But all this is still pretty abstract. I never even knowingly contracted COVID-19. And it’s still peace here, aside from a few Ukrainian refugees, completely normal.

So Iran is perhaps one of the inner circles of Hell of this Hell World now …

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2020 at 8:11 PM, tempesta said:

Dutch people tend to be really, really, REALLY direct, to the point of rudeness. At least that's how others see us. We see it as just being concise and clear, what more do you want? You can beat around the bush in your own time ?.

I’m from the south part of the Netherlands, bordered by Belgium and Germany. We are generally considered to be a lot less direct/rude then the northern part of the Netherlands, but also a lot more reserved and wary of ‘strangers’. I am a pretty direct person myself though.

Something else the Netherlands are famous for is the flat land everywhere (except where I live) and the bicycles. The average amount of bikes a Dutch person owns is 2.5 

That seems about right as I own 3 bikes myself. One city bike for groceries, one race bike and one folding bike for vacations.

Edited by Nix
Typo
  • Like 1

I'm from Germany which is for all others countrys only Bavarian yes we like beer but lederhosen und trachten saufen nur am October suff. Oh and we are the inventors of throwing you towel on something to make it your own! (Good for Vaccations)

On 10/10/2020 at 9:27 AM, Nora_9 said:

I live in the centre close to Frankfurt.

I live next to Frankfurt more like between Frankfurt and mainz

• Like 2