Where are you from?

Josie

I find learning about other countries cultures really interesting, so I thought it would be fun if everyone could tell eachother what countries we're from and then write a little bit about the country!

I'm from Sweden(often mixed up with switzerland) which is located in the north of europe. A stereotypical swede is attractive and blonde with blue eyes, but that's bullshit hahaha. 

We are most famous for IKEA and a lot of famous musicians come from sweden (Abba, Zara Larsson,Tove lo, Icona pop etc).

So what is it like to live in Sweden? We have seasons and our temperatures can go between like -35 degrees celcius in the winter and +30 in the summer depending on where you live.

Sweden is considered one of the most equal countries in the world and because of that many people think that it's perfect and that no more work needs to be done for equality, but that is so wrong. I don't think we're very equal at all so I can only imagine what it must be like in other countries.

That was a bit about Sweden, but feel free to ask something else if there are any questions. Now, tell me about your countries!

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, omitef said:

Wait @DannyFenton123 what the heckles you are British? I didn't know. My mind has been blown to pepperoni. Kaboom. Pepperoni.

Haha, did I never mention that? At least online you can't ask me to say 'orange' over and over and over just to hear my accent  (protip: don't ask that question. I have been asked that so many times I fake an American accent to get people off my back. What's up with oranges anyway?) :) 

Just now, DannyFenton123 said:

Haha, did I never mention that? At least online you can't ask me to say 'orange' over and over and over just to hear my accent  (protip: don't ask that question. I have been asked that so many times I fake an American accent to get people off my back. What's up with oranges anyway?) :) 

No....................you never mentioned it.............................I'm no stranger to British accents because there was a British staff member who worked at my school for 3+ years, and my squish is British. Now I've reimagined your voice appropriately. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, omitef said:
1 hour ago, DannyFenton123 said:

No....................you never mentioned it.............................I'm no stranger to British accents because there was a British staff member who worked at my school for 3+ years, and my squish is British. Now I've reimagined your voice appropriately. 

Really? I knew danny was from England but currently residing in America...

Anyway I'm from Australia. That place that danny wants to go to. I've been persuading them for a while now that they should come to the city where I live. Of course that will be a long ways off.

I'm from the same part of America that Danny's currently living in (the hot dry bit), but I haven't actually lived there in years--I spent the past four years in the hot humid bit of America, and now I'm living in the cold* windy bit :P There's a lot of variation between places here, mostly because the US is just so darn big. The hot dry bit where I grew up is 2000 or so miles away from the hot humid bit where I went to high school, and the hot humid bit is another 1100 miles from the cold windy bit where I am now, which in turn is about 500 miles from the cold less-windy bit where I technically live when I'm not in the cold windy bit for college. And all of those large amounts of miles are in different directions. (Also, using Imperial units rather than the metric system is THE WORST. Just throwing that out there.)

* (which also gets really hot in the summer for no reason, but because it's the cold windy bit, a lot of the buildings don't bother to have air conditioning, which makes life difficult)

An interesting thing about America: political leanings, levels of religiosity, and tolerance of others are very much geographically distributed. Generally, the farther south and/or east you go, the more conservative and religious and intolerant the majority of people tend to be, and the farther north and/or west you go, the more liberal and tolerant the people become. This is, of course, just a generalization--there are certainly liberal people/areas in the South and conservative people/areas up North--but broadly speaking, it's a general trend that's just sort of taken for granted here.

(Also, we have the somewhat problematic tendency to just call ourselves "America" rather than just "the US" because most people just kind of forget about the existence of Canada, Mexico, and the entirety of Central and South America on a daily basis.)

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I live in the Americas but my family's blood line is from India primarily. It's a nice place, still in that nostalgic area where you can still walk to school without worry and things matter more than phones, surprisingly. It's also a really beautiful country. :) 

• 9 months later...

Using the info framework provided by the OP: 

I'm from Australia (often mixed up with Austria and/or New Zealand) which is located in the south of the world. A stereotypical Australian is athletic and sun-bleached-blonde with a tan, but that's a bullshit stereotype. 

We are most famous for Kangaroos and being 'Down Under', and a lot of famous rock bands come from Australia (AC/DC,  INXS, Crowded House, Cold Chisel etc)(also Savage Garden. SAVAGE GARDEN!!! 90s pop is the best pop IMO).

So what is it like to live in Australia? I am on the south coast so we have seasons and our temperatures can go between like 0 Degrees Celsius in the winter and +45 in the summer depending on where you live. With hybrid plants we are able to grow most fruit, grains and vegetables. Banana, avocado and custard apples grow only a few kilometres away from apple orchards and berry farms, with grapes and olives growing everywhere in between. 

Australia is considered home to the oldest continuous culture in the world and because of that many people think that Aboriginal cultures were 'stuck' in a 'primitive' form, and don't think that is offensive. Australia is seen as either a multicultural melting pot or a racist backwater. Also we seem to change our political leaders twice as fast as we elect them. 

Bonus Safety Tip: Bring bottles of water everywhere. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Remember that especially intolerant part of the United States that @Dodecahedron314 brought up? Tennessee, my home state, is near the center of that region. Kentucky, Virginia, and West Virginia are to North of us. Missouri and Arkansas are West of us. Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia are South of us. North and South Carolina are both East of us.  North Carolina's okay though.

The South (the overall term for the southern states I have mentioned) does a lot as a group. The states bond over their food (REAL barbecue), their elected officials (whoever will cut taxes most for rich people, despite the overwhelming poverty of Southerners in general), and their pathological need to make sure that literally all people  are Christians of some varying Protestant denomination.

the South is still, in many ways stuck in the Civil War. We're still trying to secede from the union in little ways. Many residents are patriotic af to the United States, but they want to distinguish themselves somehow. They might do this with their hospitality to strangers, or by ranting about barbecue when foolish Texans think they know how it's done. I kept both these quirks when I left. Others express their Southern-ness by suppressing the votes of African-Americans, or banning transgender people from using their bathrooms of choice. It's important to note that these aren't always the same people, but I think we all know they usually are. 

But now I live in California, and that's a totally different place, worth its own explanation.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, IceHurricane said:

Poutine :D French fries topped with cheese curds and gravy. One of Canada's signature foods. 

Hide contents

Image result for poutine

75990_f741594c19a16658831948a79c00e74698

272900_e6e5aba6a3e7b38b52c049f27d4e6b8dc

wow. I have never heard of anything like that before. Looks tasty, and I love curds. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...