Avalentine's Day/Friendship Day?

7 hours ago, Blue Phoenix Ace said:

Absolutely! Hallmark can invent a holiday to sell cards. We just need some sort of money engine to drive this thing forward. What if we gave each other gifts of pet food? I bet we could get Purina behind this.

How many of us have pets though?

6 hours ago, Dodecahedron314 said:

Supposedly this already exists in some countries (Finland and Japan, I think?), but I'd certainly like to see it in more places. 

It certainly sounds like something that would exist in both countries. I hope more places pick it up. 

Friendship day seems like such a good investment for big companies, I don't know why it doesn't exist already. I know many people, including myself, would spend heaps of money on my friends in the spirit of friendship day. While they're at it why not use it as an educational opportunity to get aromantics noticed? If people knew it was started by us we'd be pretty popular haha :aropride:

I vote we hijack Valentine's Day completely.

Valentine's Day in so many countries is actually primarily about friendship. The rest of the world just ruined it with amatonormativity. Valentine's Day is made up! It's fake! So in my opinion we should just say, "you know what, screw social norms" and spread the aro agenda on Valentine's Day itself.

In all honesty, I am totally game for a friendship day. Just throwing in my two cents. :P

7 minutes ago, techno-trashcan said:

Valentine's Day in so many countries is actually primarily about friendship. The rest of the world just ruined it with amatonormativity. Valentine's Day is made up! It's fake! So in my opinion we should just say, "you know what, screw social norms" and spread the aro agenda on Valentine's Day itself.

In all honesty, I am totally game for a friendship day. Just throwing in my two cents. :P

I'm pretty sure that Aro Awareness Week is usually either the week of Valentine's Day or the week after, so there's certainly already a precedent for that on some level. What if we just make the day after Valentine's Day the official aro holiday where we all go out in large packs and buy up all the discount chocolate?

7 hours ago, aussiekirkland said:

Friendship day seems like such a good investment for big companies, I don't know why it doesn't exist already. I know many people, including myself, would spend heaps of money on my friends in the spirit of friendship day. While they're at it why not use it as an educational opportunity to get aromantics noticed? If people knew it was started by us we'd be pretty popular haha :aropride:

Yes! Using Hallmark "holidays" to our advantage would really work if there are enough people to sustain it. Education needs to happen too - we exist, after all. No matter what the world says.

7 hours ago, techno-trashcan said:

This might work. It's a nice concept to hijack the Day of "Normalness" :P Valentine's Day is a silly concept anyway - "here, buy your boy/girl/alien a gift, not because you love them, but because we say so".

6 hours ago, Dodecahedron314 said:

I'm pretty sure that Aro Awareness Week is usually either the week of Valentine's Day or the week after, so there's certainly already a precedent for that on some level. What if we just make the day after Valentine's Day the official aro holiday where we all go out in large packs and buy up all the discount chocolate?

There's a aro week? :o

1 hour ago, Louis Hypo said:

You're Welcome.

This is a great song. He makes a good point that Valentine's day hasn't that romantic because there's a deadline - it's expected that person A gets person B a present and stuff, so it isn't as meaningful as doing things out of the blue.

11 hours ago, techno-trashcan said:

I did this last Valentine's Day. Me and my friends sent each other ironic evalentines, went out for lunch (Max Brenner chocolate shop mmmm) and then me and my bestie went to see Deadpool. It was such a good day that I thought why don't I just do this every Valentine's Day?

1 hour ago, aussiekirkland said:

I did this last Valentine's Day. Me and my friends sent each other ironic evalentines, went out for lunch (Max Brenner chocolate shop mmmm) and then me and my bestie went to see Deadpool. It was such a good day that I thought why don't I just do this every Valentine's Day?

That sounds awesome and I so want to do that!

• 5 months later...
On 14.9.2016 at 4:20 AM, aussiekirkland said:

Next step: Aros overthrow the world Muahahahahaaaa! >:3

Sorry, it actually, it would be very great. 

On 13.9.2016 at 3:20 AM, Dodecahedron314 said:

Supposedly this already exists in some countries (Finland and Japan, I think?), but I'd certainly like to see it in more places. 

... And now media have ruined our Friendship day! It has become like Valentine's day: everyone expect that you are going to give chocolate and/or card for your "special one" :'^

#bringfriendshipdayback

My friend made me a Valence Electrons Day card (not sure if they made up the name or saw it somewhere) on valentine's day and wrote about how much our friendship means to them. I kinda like the name because friends are around you in the way electrons are around a nucleus of an atom :P

• 2 weeks later...

We could have Valentines Day be when we do stuff to celebrate our family and friends, then buy everyone a bunch of on sale chocolate the next day. 

I already celebrate Valentine's Day platonically 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/13/2016 at 3:20 AM, Dodecahedron314 said:

yeees in finland valentine's day is translated as "friend's day" so i guess you're right. although it's seen as a pretty american holiday so not that big of a deal here :P

also: http://www.un.org/en/events/friendshipday/

I think February 15th makes sense. That's the day when we console the single and destitute. The day after their hateful reminder of what they're missing, we remind them that there is more to life than the Facebook relationship status label.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 14/07/2017 at 0:17 PM, Blackscarlet666 said:

Well, February 15th is National Singles Awareness day

that is such a sad name. it is as if people ask each other what they did for Valentines and those who didn't do anything get a comment like "well, then happy singles awareness day' 

Archived