pengu

Coming out stories!

Alright I got a silly one

So one of my friends has a birthday less than a week before mine, and last time since it wasn’t over spring break we decided to have a joint birthday party. Afterward we hung out just the two of us and she thought it’d be fun to do my birth chart. I’m an Aries, although I don’t really pay that kind of stuff any mind. So when she started reading about what my Venus was (that’s the love/sex one, also in Aries for me), and it talked about how flirty, romantic, and saucy I’m supposed to be, I just started laughing hysterically. 

She was like “oh hey, I don’t think you ever mentioned to me what your orientation is” and when I was like I’m aro/ace lmao, she started losing it too and we were both howling as she tried to read the rest of it

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I’m out to one friend as asexual.

Recently we were talking and he said he was mad at a lot of his friends because they were leaving him out a lot. I commented that I’m scared nobody will have time for me anymore in a few years because everyone will start dating. 

He said, “I don’t really know much about asexuality, but you don’t have to be sexually attracted to someone to date.”

I told him that’s true, and explained about romantic orientations and how they’re different from sexual orientations. I said that just like he’s biromantic and bisexual, I’m aromantic and asexual. 

He said, “Oh, that makes sense. So basically I’m just really horny and you’re just not horny at all.”

That’s one way to put it, I suppose. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I came out to a few people so far as grey-aro with ok results

Some old friends: “that’ll probably maybe change, you’re still young” and “You just didn’t meet the one yet” bullshit. 

They were accepting I guess but they didn’t really understand it.

(Not) surprisingly? the friends I met relatively recently have been better about it and more accepting/understanding.

• Like 1

I did not come out directly but asked my parents today: "What if I want to share my life with five girls and six boys, like a hippie?"
(it is a delighting vision for me to live together with several people and be affectionate with each other but without all the romantic stuff).
My mother simply answered, with a smile: "It's your life". Always the best answer.
Perviously, my dad came home and told us an old friend of him implied he wanted to set me off with his son (I don't know either of them, lmao).
My mom replied immediately: "Why, is he gay?"
My gender identity is finally recognized and accepted as well 😎.

• Like 4

I've come out to one person. It was my friend at school, who is non-binary (fine with female pronouns) and poly. About a week ago, we were messaging over Pinterest in class. At some point, she says "*SCREAMS IN GAY*" (she says that pretty often). I said, "*SCREAMS IN ARO/ACE*". I didn't really know what to expect, but she just laughed. It was great though.

I want to come out to my two closest friends, one of whom is also asexual, but the other is straight and I don't want her to feel like she can't talk to me about those things. But I know I can't pretend to be something I'm not, so I plan to come out to them soon. :)

• Like 1

I had this moment where I was preparing for a French speaking exam, and I said "Je suis celibataire. Je n'ai pa une petite amie ou un petit ami." and my mum kind of cocked her head and went, "une petite amie ou un petit ami, ay?" and I shrugged. So I'm pretty sure she knows I at least fancy both guys and girls now, but I'm waiting until I'm in a relationship to bother to come out, since it isn't a major part of my identity... I'll just be like "Yep, this is Brian." or "Yep, this is Brie." Or, "Yep, this is... what's your name again? What are you doing in my house?" 

• Haha 1

On National Coming Out Day last year I posted on my close friends story on Instagram about how I was aromantic. I also posted a "you might be aromantic if" post and mentioned how I related to a lot of the stuff it said, and how it made me happy to identify this way. All of my friends, though a little confused, were very supportive. One of my friends is a little more disbelieving (I'm sure more than one are but this friend is the only one that voices it sometimes) and every once in a while she asks me if I'm still identifying this way and if I might change. She's a good friend and well-meaning but it's annoying sometimes.

I had already come out to 2 of my friends, one of whom is aro-spec, and they were both super supportive and they helped me figure myself out. It later turned out that two more of my friends came out as ace and demi, respectively, and it was just super cool to have an a-spec gang like that. 

One of my friends also got me a tiny little aro pin on the first day of pride month last june! It's very cute and I love it so much.

I came out to my friend as gray aro and they were just like “that seems like a sad life. To not have anyone” and I was just like “eh it’s pretty great not to stress over dating” she just gave me a look like I was crazy but like in a jokingly way. She supports me to this day.

• Haha 1