Platonic Orientations?

I know I've seen a fair amount of people describe themselves as "aplatonic" and so on.

Does anyone here have a platonic orientation besides being aplatonic? Would it be too complicated to even have/add platonic orientations?

well I'm complicated :P

I'm a lithropanplatonic (?) aro ace

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, SoulWolf said:

I've never heard of platonic orientations... I tried Googling for info, but didn't come up with much. Do you have any links to more info about that?

that's the reason why I made this thread. Platonic orientations aren't even talked about much though there's really no question that platonic attraction (like sexual & romantic attraction) has a spectrum.

I was mainly keeping this thread open for anyone to talk about their views/opinions or think/talk about their own platonic orientations/attractions. xD

• Like 5

From my understanding platonic attraction is basically who you are more platonically comfortable with... or is it about squishes?

Either way I'd tend to think that I am heteroplatonic, or maybe panplatonic... I generally feel more comfortable around male friends mostly because they are much more simple and more funny than most of my female friends. I don't know :S

I'm platonically attracted to anyone who can entertain me xD 

• Like 7

If I knew what it was, I might be able to talk about it. :D

Does a platonic orientation define what kinds of people you would normally want to be friends with? Or whose company you enjoy (in general)? Or is it about what kinds of people you get squishes on? (Are those necessarily different?)

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, SoulWolf said:

If I knew what it was, I might be able to talk about it. :D

Does a platonic orientation define what kinds of people you would normally want to be friends with? Or whose company you enjoy (in general)? Or is it about what kinds of people you get squishes on? (Are those necessarily different?)

mostly the kinds of people you get squishes on....and there's a difference between squishes & friends (from my experience).

I enjoy my friend's company but I'm not platonically attracted to them. Squishes usually imply a deeper level of emotional bonding/attraction in a way that it's deeper than that with a friend without involving romantic & sexual attraction at all.

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, ArodynamicallyFavored said:

mostly the kinds of people you get squishes on....and there's a difference between squishes & friends (from my experience).

I enjoy my friend's company but I'm not platonically attracted to them. Squishes usually imply a deeper level of emotional bonding/attraction in a way that it's deeper than that with a friend without involving romantic & sexual attraction at all.

Aaah, that makes sense. :D

The only pattern I've really noticed with my squishes is that they seem to be notably unusual in some sense, or there's some other kind of psychology-related reason for me to get fascinated by them and try to understand them. I don't think gender is relevant to me... although I've only had a squish on one guy, the rest were all female. Which I suppose might actually be relevant due to the fact that most of my friends are actually male, so I meet less females in general anyway... :eyebrow: ... I dunno. I tend to feel quite protective of my squishes, so maybe that is why it's less likely to happen with guys, because they (seem to) think they're tough and manly or whatever...

This is interesting, I haven't really given this much thought before. :D

• Like 3

I consider myself polyplatonic and polyalterous. I have squishes on multiple people. And I would like to be emotionally intimate, in a way that cannot be wholly described as platonic or romantic, with more than one of my squishes. I believe that I'm also heteroplatonic, since all my serious squishes so far have been women (I've had a passing squish on a non-binary person, and then a passing squish on a guy). 

I think that platonic orientations are just as diverse as sexual, and romantic orientations, and that a lot of prefixes for sexual/romantic orientations can be applied to platonic orientations as well. 

• Like 4

I was under the impression from the source of the term that it was originally meant to be used only in the sense of aplatonic as a descriptor of specifically aro people who don't feel inclined toward queerplatonic relationships, and that's all--I think I even remember the creator of the term specifically asking people not to affix other prefixes to it like would normally be done with other orientations because it would confuse the issue and give those people on Tumblr who always say "but that's just being friends, you don't need a label for that" ammunition, but I'm not certain and it's been so long since I've seen the post that I'm pretty sure I've lost the post by now. It might be googleable though? 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Dodecahedron314 said:

I was under the impression from the source of the term that it was originally meant to be used only in the sense of aplatonic as a descriptor of specifically aro people who don't feel inclined toward queerplatonic relationships, and that's all--I think I even remember the creator of the term specifically asking people not to affix other prefixes to it like would normally be done with other orientations because it would confuse the issue and give those people on Tumblr who always say "but that's just being friends, you don't need a label for that" ammunition, but I'm not certain and it's been so long since I've seen the post that I'm pretty sure I've lost the post by now. It might be googleable though? 

would you like me to have this thread closed Dodec?

1 minute ago, ArodynamicallyFavored said:

would you like me to have the thread closed Dodec?

I should probably try and find tbe source I was talking about again in order to make sure I'm not misinterpreting it, my post was essentially more of an FYI than anything--and I'm certainly not one to tell people outright what terms they can or can't use, it was just something I recalled about the original spirit of the term.

I don't know, plantonic orientations seems kind of pointless to me. I mean, couldn't you just say that you want to be friends with X gender, or that you don't care what gender your friends are or something along those lines? It's one of those things where you don't need to make a whole bunch of new words when you can explain it all simply in a few already existing words that everyone will understand. Just sayin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, techno-trashcan said:

Yes, this looks familiar, I think this is it. There might have been a similar post somewhere else, but this is essentially what I was talking about.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SwankyPants said:

I advise that trying to consider platonic interactions by means of an orientation paradigm is very impractical. 

what exactly do you mean to accomplish by a platonic orientation? 

I don't know. The question came up elsewhere & I posted it here to ask you guys your opinions on the matter.

for explanatory reasons maybe? I don't know *shrugs*

• Like 2

It's interesting to talk about my experiences of platonic attraction since it's the only attraction I do feel; however, I wouldn't talk about it in an orientation context. Firstly it seems impractical since when I get a squish I'm usually already in the kind of relationship that I want with them, so there's no end goal in mind, which I feel like is different with romantic and sexual attraction. Secondly I feel like using bi or pan as a label for platonic feelings is sort of appropriating? I don't know, but the thought makes me uncomfortable cause I don't think it's my place to use those identifiers.

Anywho I think my squishes have less to do with gender and more to do with personality. I'm drawn to people with a similar sense of humour as me, usually a mix of sarcasm and Internet humour. This is way more common in guys in my experience, and is probably why I've only ever had a squish on one girl. Ideally if I were to ever get in a qpr it'd be with a girl because I feel like navigating that blurry territory would be easier with someone who's a good communicator.

Oops, I rambled again :P

• Like 3

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/12/2016 at 3:25 PM, Ugh... said:

From my understanding platonic attraction is basically who you are more platonically comfortable with... or is it about squishes?

Either way I'd tend to think that I am heteroplatonic, or maybe panplatonic... I generally feel more comfortable around male friends mostly because they are much more simple and more funny than most of my female friends. I don't know :S

I'm platonically attracted to anyone who can entertain me xD 

It's pretty much the same for me. I generally get along better with guys than girls for the same reasons, but still get along with both. Also, if someday people invent a list of platonic orientations, there needs to be one for being attracted to anyone entertaining.

Oblectoplatonic-Someone who experiences platonic attraction to anyone who the person thinks is entertaining to be around. (Oblecto is latin meaning to amuse, delight, entertain, divert, attract, & please.)

• Like 3

On 2017-06-10 at 10:52 AM, QuirkyGeek said:

Oblectoplatonic-Someone who experiences platonic attraction to anyone who the person thinks is entertaining to be around. (Oblecto is latin meaning to amuse, delight, entertain, divert, attract, & please.)

I will use this term from now on thank you xD

• Like 2

On 10/06/2017 at 3:52 PM, QuirkyGeek said:

Smart! Please now invent a word for being platonically drawn to people who show kindness/friendliness

• Like 1

11 hours ago, QuirkyGeek said:

Amicusplatonic-Someone who experiences platonic attraction to anyone perceived as kind and/or friendly. (Amicus is latin for kind and friendly.)

Amazeballs (official term). You are my new friend

• Like 1