Hello;;

Hello, I'm an 18 year old trans kid from the Midwest USA. I've ID'd as aro-spec for about a year now, going between the labels aroflux, demiromantic, and greyromantic to find something that fit before finally settling on greyro.

My story's a bit different, but... It basically took me a string of boyfriends to realize that I was aro/aro-spec. I knew things were wrong after trying it once, with all the panic and temporary disgust that "oh my god, someone actually wants to date me" brings. But I'm a bit of an idiot, so I bought into the whole "you haven't found The One!!!" argument and went through a series of short-lived romantic relationships before realizing, um. I'm not doing this because I like these people romantically. I like it because I have a friend who dedicates a lot of time to me. I like it because I've been told to like it. And already knowing about the asexual community, I figured that there was something similar to that for romantic stuff and... I was right. 

Anyway, that's my story. I'm glad that I stumbled across an aro-spec forum.

Welcome! :icecream::softserve: 

I can definitely relate to realizing someone had a crush on me and being uncomfortable with that. There was one time I thought I had a crush on someone until I realized he had a crush on me, and I didn't actually want a relationship with him. It took me awhile to realize that "this person seems cool and I want to be their friend" is not what most people mean when they say they have a crush on someone. 

Welcome! I'd give you ice cream, but I can't get the emoticon menu thingy to load for some reason. Sorry. :(

2 hours ago, umberrabbit said:

But I'm a bit of an idiot, so I bought into the whole "you haven't found The One!!!" argument and went through a series of short-lived romantic relationships before realizing, um. I'm not doing this because I like these people romantically. I like it because I have a friend who dedicates a lot of time to me.

At least you figured it out sooner than I did... :D ... I'm 33 now, and I only found out about aromanticism a few months ago. The whole time before that I kept trying to figure out what the !^&@ is the difference between relationships and friendship, and it all confused the hell out of me.

2 hours ago, SoulWolf said:

Welcome! I'd give you ice cream, but I can't get the emoticon menu thingy to load for some reason. Sorry. :(

Just so you know, if you can't get the emoticon menu to work you can type them out instead. Ice cream is : icecream : without the spaces between the words and the punctuation.

Thank you all for your warm welcomes :0

4 hours ago, SoulWolf said:

At least you figured it out sooner than I did... :D ... I'm 33 now, and I only found out about aromanticism a few months ago. The whole time before that I kept trying to figure out what the !^&@ is the difference between relationships and friendship, and it all confused the hell out of me.

ono It sounds like that long of time would have been Suffering, to say the least.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived