Gathering more members

Blue Phoenix Ace

47 minutes ago, Blue Phoenix Ace said:

Sure I'll have it at my house. Who should I invite? :)

No, seriously. It was not a joke.

We should totally have an IRL Aro Awareness Pride Week every February.We could have discussions and presentations and social things like parties, board game events or movie nights? 

Gay bars would be probably willing to host it if we want like a night with DJs and drinks, and they already have the kind of spaces we would need. Or if we want something less "adult" (gay bars tend to be quite intense sometimes), we could organize something at the LGBTQ centres? They have like big rooms with tables and whiteboards and pool tables and equipments for playing movies and documentaries. They already have these kind of social groups for trans folks or gay men or lesbians. People bring some cake (and in this case ice cream), we chat, make friends, its fun.

4 hours ago, Cassiopeia said:

No, seriously. It was not a joke.

We should totally have an IRL Aro Awareness Pride Week every February.We could have discussions and presentations and social things like parties, board game events or movie nights? 

Gay bars would be probably willing to host it if we want like a night with DJs and drinks, and they already have the kind of spaces we would need. Or if we want something less "adult" (gay bars tend to be quite intense sometimes), we could organize something at the LGBTQ centres? They have like big rooms with tables and whiteboards and pool tables and equipments for playing movies and documentaries. They already have these kind of social groups for trans folks or gay men or lesbians. People bring some cake (and in this case ice cream), we chat, make friends, its fun.

This sounds amazing, but theres 3 people on here in mycountry, and they're in different states. I guess we could do a huge skype call?

13 minutes ago, 46odnetnin said:

This sounds amazing, but theres 3 people on here in mycountry, and they're in different states. I guess we could do a huge skype call?

That's kinda my problem too. 

Sounds like an amazing experience but you'd really need a bigger aro community, so this would probably only work in large centers in the US and UK. 

Massive Skype party! :P

5 hours ago, 46odnetnin said:

This sounds amazing, but theres 3 people on here in mycountry, and they're in different states.

But that would be the point of spreading "you might be aro if" posters and leaflets where people would find them?

Realistically speaking, there is nothing in the tea, there isn't a larger ratio of aros in the UK (or in the US) population. Just our issues, ace and aro identities are talked about more, so more people find the right words to describe themselves.

There are more people like us, just we need to advocate our existence a bit louder.

14 hours ago, Cassiopeia said:

But that would be the point of spreading "you might be aro if" posters and leaflets where people would find them?

Realistically speaking, there is nothing in the tea, there isn't a larger ratio of aros in the UK (or in the US) population. Just our issues, ace and aro identities are talked about more, so more people find the right words to describe themselves.

There are more people like us, just we need to advocate our existence a bit louder.

That, and of course many people from non-Anglophone countries would be more likely to join forums and discussions in their native language. 

I agree with more awareness, though it's certainly easier if you've already got a community in place. Or at least takes a lot of courage to start advertising aromanticism if you're alone. 

Also harder if you don't know the terminology in the local language.. 

• 1 year later...

Archived