Gathering more members

Blue Phoenix Ace

I think we're off to an awesome start with the forums already. We almost have 50 members as I type this, only 24 hours after bringing the forums online. I need your help to keep the momentum going. I don't have much experience with Twitter or Reddit, so if you have a particular group in those areas that might feel at home here, please let them know about Arocalypse.

I think we have a large portion of our members from AVEN. I'd really like to see us get some allosexual aromantics as well. Again, I'm not really sure where to advertise, so please spread the word in your favorite groups.

Thanks and enjoy the new forums. :)

Hmm... I don't know if it'd help, but I can put a link in sites I'm active in, like Fanfiction.net. I don't use Twitter or Reddit that frequently, so I'm afraid I can't be all that helpful in that regard.

Thanks for the forums! :D

Despite the low amount of people on the site so far, it seems like we have a lot of activity! I just came on today to 44 messages in my notification box :D

8 minutes ago, Spud said:

Despite the low amount of people on the site so far, it seems like we have a lot of activity! I just came on today to 44 messages in my notification box :D

That's nearly the amount of members on the site xD

I've posted this site on Reddit on r/asexuality, r/asexual, r/aromantic, and r/lgbt. Are there any other major communities you guys can think of on Reddit? Apparently we've gained at least one member from those subs.

36 minutes ago, Spud said:

We could try using twitter or instagram because I know there's a few LGBT communities on those sites.

Probably Tumblr, too. I'll have to think about it. Instagram and Twitter are pretty hard to get into for marketing without actually being a marketer (that is, for free). The same can be said about Facebook. I'll look into the most effective way to convey our existence to the sites.

3 minutes ago, DeMorgan said:

Probably Tumblr, too. I'll have to think about it. Instagram and Twitter are pretty hard to get into for marketing without actually being a marketer (that is, for free). The same can be said about Facebook. I'll look into the most effective way to convey our existence to the sites.

I have a friend who is involved in an instagram account with around 8000 or so followers. It's LGBT, so she can probably help promote this site.

I made a post on my tumblr about us and at least one person said they joined. The aromantic tag could definitely use some positivity lately so I think more posts on tumblr about this site is a good idea.

19 minutes ago, hangryeowyn said:

I made a post on my tumblr about us and at least one person said they joined. The aromantic tag could definitely use some positivity lately so I think more posts on tumblr about this site is a good idea.

That said, the Tumblr community has traditionally been a problem for aros and aces, so be careful. Don't make too much work for our poor mods mod.

1 hour ago, hangryeowyn said:

lets just hope the arophobes dont come here

1 hour ago, Blue Phoenix Ace said:

They will eventually. :(

Hopefully we can keep the forums pretty clean though.

I guess because they only had modest activity, none of the old aro sites I worked with really had that problem. I suppose it's just a kind of "anticipate the worst, but  hope for the best" scenario.

5 minutes ago, DeMorgan said:

:icecream:  :icecream:  :icecream:  

I'm in EST and it's only 10:40 just now… are you sure you set your clock correctly xD 

Ice cream anyway!!!!

5 minutes ago, Spud said:

I'm in EST and it's only 10:40 just now… are you sure you set your clock correctly xD 

Ice cream anyway!!!!

Er, I'm also in EST. I... read my clock incorrectly. I just edited the time to be sensible (20 minutes earlier than it was, because someone joined about 11 minutes ago). As such, it is now a true statement. More ice cream!  :icecream:  :icecream:  :icecream:

I know you'd like to get members outside of AVEN, but one thing I would suggest is to contact the AVEN admods once the site is fully established about getting this site linked on their community links forum.  I know that's how I originally found AroPlane and started getting involved in aro forums, so we could potentially gain new people that way. :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/04/2016 at 6:00 PM, DeMorgan said:

I've posted this site on Reddit on r/asexuality, r/asexual, r/aromantic, and r/lgbt. Are there any other major communities you guys can think of on Reddit? Apparently we've gained at least one member from those subs.

I'd suggest r/kink, r/polyamory, r/goth, r/larp, r/geek, r/cosplay
Aromatics who are also allosexual might be expected to be interested in "unconventional" relationships.

Archived