Article: "Why sex ed needs to be more inclusive"

I already shared this article on AVEN, but I think the aromantic community might find it interesting as well.  The article talks about the problems with sex education programs, and how a lot of them only talk about heterosexuality.  The author calls for sex ed programs to be more inclusive to other orientations, and genders, and aromantic was one of the ones they listed as being under-represented.

Link here: http://www.thenationalstudent.com/Opinion/2016-07-13/Exploring_the_spectrum_Why_sex_ed_needs_to_be_more_inclusive.html

This is something the Australian Liberal Party needs to read. They were trying to abolish the safe schools program in Australia which was designed to teach children to be accepting of LGBT+ people.

(If you didn't know the Australian Liberal Party is the conservative party in the Australian government which can lead to some confusion as liberal means the complete opposite in America.)

Sadly, I think a lot of countries need to read this.  I know my American sex education was not very helpful ( made even worse by the fact that I went to a private Catholic school), and I've heard similar complaints from people in other countries.  While acceptance for LGBTQ+ people is rising, many sex education programs are still depressingly outdated.

I'm from Germany and the existence of LGBTQ+ people were completely ignored in our lessons. I don't remember a single mention of the fact that anything besides straight exists. They didn't deny LGBTQ+ existence, but they just ignored it. Things could've been so much easier for me if we would've talked even a little bit about LGBTQ+ issues at school.

50 minutes ago, aihpen said:

I'm from Germany and the existence of LGBTQ+ people were completely ignored in our lessons. I don't remember a single mention of the fact that anything besides straight exists. They didn't deny LGBTQ+ existence, but they just ignored it. Things could've been so much easier for me if we would've talked even a little bit about LGBTQ+ issues at school.

Yes, similar situation in korea.

Although it's not just about sex ed...

Even a single mention of LGBTQ+, not only at school but in any kind of public/social circumstances, is still a huge taboo. 

It has to be talked about either very privately or within the LGBTQ+ communities itself. :(

I think I read some article about the statistics which showed that in Korea the percentage of people who are absolutely sure none of their friends/acquaintances would be LGBTQ+ is ridiculously high

-> which implies the society makes LGBTQ+ people in Korea even more closeted. 

But I digress. :facepalm: 

Korean sex-ed could learn a lot from this article... 

On 15/07/2016 at 7:43 PM, deltaX said:

I already shared this article on AVEN, but I think the aromantic community might find it interesting as well.  The article talks about the problems with sex education programs, and how a lot of them only talk about heterosexuality.  The author calls for sex ed programs to be more inclusive to other orientations, and genders, and aromantic was one of the ones they listed as being under-represented.

Probably also needs to look at non-amantonormative relationship dynamics too. Especially those which are not based around the concept of "couples".

I kind of want to share that last spring in my health class asexuality was mentioned (as well as homo and bisexuality). It was just one sentence explaining the term but still :). Yay! And this was in Finland.

• 6 months later...
On 7/20/2016 at 7:55 AM, aihpen said:

This is the situation I experienced in Canada. 

• 6 months later...

I don't remember hearing anything in school in Australia. It was very much: this is biology, this is birth, do this to stay healthy, now take some free condoms. None of my friends came out until after high school. My high school definitely was not a particularly inclusive environment. 

• 2 months later...

I'm in junior highschool and we just finished doing sex-ed or as much sex as we do for my age. Whe normally are just set assignments and the teacher says nothing but at the start of sex-ed one of the things we had to do was name different sexualities. People easily named straight, gay and bi. We even had one boy say pan (tbh I was impressed that he knew it but he says he has a couple of pan friends) and after every one someone said I quietly said asexual until my friend got sick of it and put up her hand and said it, only the boy who said pan and my friends new what asexuality is thought. I was very tempemted to say Aromantic as well even though not technically a sexuality but I was kinda nervous to say anything even though its well known I'm not straight.

mentions of sex ahead but it is sex ed we are talking about so...

Also in all our assignments it mentioned oral, vaginal and anal sex which surprised me honestly I thought it would be basic purely straight sex but we got our info from the Australian government's site

Archived