Identity Symbols

So, I've been thinking about designing some covert Pride T-Shirts. It's still an underdeveloped idea in my head and I'm not sure when and if I'll get around to it, but the big idea behind it is this:

Not everyone is comfortable with walking around in an obvious "No Romo"-Shirt, but there are Colours and Symbols (like the arrow for aros or the rainbow for gay/queer), that are usually recognized by people, who know what to look for.

Symbols are a powerful thing after all. Specially when it comes to visibility. Maybe we can even coin some new ones =D 

I wanted to take that opportunity and ask all of you what kind of symbols you associate with your identities. This is not limited to Aros only, but to all gender, sexual and romantic labels you identify with! The more the better. You can even share some personal symbols, are stuff you might think would be cool/fitting.

• Like 10

On 2016. 07. 12. at 1:35 PM, Louis Hypo said:

phalic arrow? for sexual aromantic.

Uhm, lets not reduce sexuality to genitalia.  There is a lot more to it than phalluses... if the people involved have one at all.

Lets see,

• arrow: for aromantic
  • ice cream: also for aro
  • labrys: a lesbian/feminist symbol, especially nice together with the arrow.
  • lambda (λ): also one of the oldschool queer symbols. I like the philosophy behind it. (l for liberation, and also the connection with energy theory and wave lengths in physics and chemistry)
  • black triangle: not one of the happy symbols, but a strong one.
  • the lesbian flags: the pink one and the purple one.
  • the lgbtq+/queer flag
  • the aro flag

edit:

• handshake: a handshake tattoo traditionally represents friendship, loyalty, honesty, siblinghood. (I want one)
  • Like 6

@Cassiopeia
I'm a bit concerned about the black triangle due to.. well... reasons... How important a symbol is it? It's included in the pride flags, but I remember that there's a lesbian flag version with stripes and gradients, like most of them.

@Louis Hypo Since the orientation of sexual aro's vary, I'd rather not include "sex symbols" in general (which shouldn't be a phallus anyway xD). I'm probably more prone to make "one identity per Shirt" Designs anyway.

If I remember right, the cards were: 

- Spades - Aro 

- Heart - Romantic Ace

- Diamond - Demi 

- Clubs - Gray

I don't know who coined them. I know they are meant for Aces, but I wonder if they can be used outside of this context. Would you say a spade/club or diamond could be used by non-aces? 

• Like 2

@Kojote

I thought diamond was for the spectrum (so demi, grey, lith, etc) and clubs was for questioning?  

Now I'm questioning O.o

As for non aces, I dunno.  Could one flip them around and use it for aros?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kojote said:

@Cassiopeia
I'm a bit concerned about the black triangle due to.. well... reasons... How important a symbol is it? It's included in the pride flags

Well, it is an important symbol, but its not meant to be used lightly.

Its there to remind both queer and straight people of our history and as a tribute to those who died, who were locked up, who were tortured because of who they were. It  is the symbol of "let us live with dignity or we will show you how antisocial we can be". It  is the symbol of "stop murdering us". Unfortunately all of that is still a relevant message...

I remember that there's a lesbian flag version with stripes and gradients, like most of them.

Yes, as I wrote, there are two lesbian flags. One with the pink gradients, and one with the purple background, the black triangle and the labrys.

11 minutes ago, Swablu said:

@Kojote

I thought diamond was for the spectrum (so demi, grey, lith, etc) and clubs was for questioning?  

Now I'm questioning O.o

As for non aces, I dunno.  Could one flip them around and use it for aros?

Not really, for  aces is great because of the play with the words.

If you really want, we could use tarot cards? But I don't see it necessary to copy the ace symbolism

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cassiopeia said:

Yes, as I wrote, there are two lesbian flags. One with the pink gradients, and one with the purple background, the black triangle and the labrys.

I forgot to write that I couldn't open the link. Sorry.

18 minutes ago, Swablu said:

thought diamond was for the spectrum (so demi, grey, lith, etc) and clubs was for questioning?  

Now I'm questioning O.o

Your right! I looked it up. That's what I get for citing from memory instead of googling for 5 seconds. 

3 hours ago, DannyFenton123 said:

td5b34N.png

MS paint for all your aro stag needs!

But seriously I like the idea of a stag, just not me making a logo out of it ;) 

I mean it could be worse :rofl: (gif warning)

Spoiler

step0014.gif?1468634153582

• Like 12

• 1 month later...
On 7/13/2016 at 3:26 PM, Cassiopeia said:

If you really want, we could use tarot cards?

On 7/15/2016 at 5:08 PM, Cassiopeia said:

A stag? 

The suit of pentacles (diamonds) is sometimes represented using deer; maybe the Ace (for aroaces), Jack or King (for "male deer") of pentacles, then?

• Like 3

I guess I identify with the colors more than an actual symbol. Well, that's not entirely true. I like the bow and arrow for aromanticism, and an ace of spades is fine for asexual. If it were me, I'd probably make the shirt itself black, or maybe dark green, and then color the symbols with the remaining color motifs. I'm more of a dark colors kind of person though. Most of the shirts I've seen are all white, or gray, and I'm not really down for that, so if you designed a different one, I'd be interested in buying one :)

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Saber_Wing said:

I guess I identify with the colors more than an actual symbol. Well, that's not entirely true. I like the bow and arrow for aromanticism, and an ace of spades is fine for asexual. If it were me, I'd probably make the shirt itself black, or maybe dark green, and then color the symbols with the remaining color motifs. I'm more of a dark colors kind of person though. Most of the shirts I've seen are all white, or gray, and I'm not really down for that, so if you designed a different one, I'd be interested in buying one :)

I'm the same with colours over symbols. Aro green all the way! More subtle too - for most people, green is green, but for aces, purple is significant, etc.

• Like 5

On 9/10/2016 at 1:37 PM, Jade said:

The suit of pentacles (diamonds) is sometimes represented using deer; maybe the Ace (for aroaces), Jack or King (for "male deer") of pentacles, then?

Funny enough, in Crowley's Thoth tarot, the prince of disks (Jack of diamonds) is my birth card. No deer on it, but a bull, lol. 

I like symbols as a polytheist witch. I'm rather fond of the arrow, and do have somewhat of an interest in something for allosexual aros, being one. 

And it's somewhat awkward that my fave colour is purple, haha. ^_^

• Like 3

• 2 months later...