owl

Have you ever been in a relationship?

On 4/3/2016 at 9:02 PM, PhysicsOwl said:

I dated a guy for about 8 months because I didn't know I was aro yet. Being in that relationship was actually how I realized I was aro, because I was previously lumping a lot of my aromanticism in with my asexuality and thought I could have a romantic relationship. Once I was in the relationship, I realized I felt trapped and uncomfortable and I'm not into physical affection, but I took me a long time to break up with him because we should have been really good together and I wanted it to work. He's great and we're friends again now, but it was really hard after a while for me to force myself to spend time with him and be a 'good girlfriend' even though I wasn't really sure I liked him.  

this is totally me except that i'm not ace.  we were friends, he was pretty hot, i was questioning (*cough* denying) being aro, i thought dating him was the answer.  it was not.  in retrospect it was one of the worst experiences of my life but i could hardly have asked for a better one, you know, considering.  really.  i think i kind of needed it, to help me sort stuff out.  and yes, i do feel terribly for what some might call 'using him' but i'd never hurt him or anyone intentionally and he doesn't begrudge me.

• Like 2

I just broke up with my boyfriend after two weeks(!) because I was feeling trapped in the relationship and I kinda already knew that I didn't really want a romantic relationship but just went along with it because I felt like I was supposed to be happy because it was finally happening... Well I felt terrible, he was all cute and really nice and everything I could have wanted (if I wanted a romantic relationship to begin with) but it just wasn't and I'm just really happy it's over and I can be happily single again

• Like 2

We should do what makes us happy and follow our hearts instead of social conventions. Having a "partner" is the social norm, but what's "normal" to begin with and who defines what's normal? To me, not being engaged in a relationship is what's normal, and it makes me happy. I've never been in a relationship. It's ironic because guys always end up asking me out. They think I'm fun to be with and "flirtatious" but I'm not, I just deal with them the way I do because I see them as "close friends" but they don't seem to understand this :/

• Like 2

I just got into an open relationship with someone that I'm very romantically attracted to. It feels amazing to be around them, there's just constantly a logical detachment while I'm around them, where I physically and emotionally feel happy, but mentally think that the situation is absolutely ridiculous. I'm intensely aware of the feeling that I've lost control over my own heart. I'm romance-repulsed by my own feelings, and it makes me uncomfortable. But I want to work through the uncomfortable feelings for them. 

• Like 1

Right now I’m in a queer platonic relationship and the person knows I’m aro/ace. But as far as dating goes I’ve never had a romantic partner.