Robin

Common Misconceptions About Aros

"You never know what the future holds." -My grandfather

Counter: YOU can never know what the future holds, either.

[roughly quoting] "When you grow old, you'll have a wife and six children." -My grandmother (talk about social constructs.....)

Counter: With the way the earth's population is headed right now, having six children doesn't sound like a wise idea. Plus, I don't think I'd be a very good father.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Guest Chandrakirti

I used to get the 'robotic' quote...usually in recent work situations because I could concentrate on my actual work and not be distracted by 'attractive people'.

All my friends don't believe that being aromantic and asexual isn't real they think its "just a phase". They say that I'll like someone romantically one day I just "haven't found the right person". What some people don't get is that this "phase" is something some people stay with forever.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/4/2019 at 11:53 AM, Bri said:

What some people don't get is that this "phase" is something some people stay with forever.

Not that you need to 'sell' your aromanticism to them, but maybe you could try making an anaology with sexual orientation? I've not been sexually attracted to a man so far, but I suppose I cannot absolutely rule out that my heterosexuality is "just a phase" (i.e. who's to say I don't see a man tomorrow and feel sexual attraction towards them). And yet, most people don't talk about sexual orientation in this way. So, why do it with romantic orientation? (or maybe your friends think that everyone is actually latently bisexual to some degree? at least that would be consistent of them!)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

"You're misanthropic" - my friend

• Like 1

Guest Chandrakirti

PS @Azxre, the angry face means I'm angry at your friends comment ...not you.

On 6/4/2019 at 11:53 AM, Bri said:

All my friends don't believe that being aromantic and asexual isn't real they think its "just a phase". They say that I'll like someone romantically one day I just "haven't found the right person". What some people don't get is that this "phase" is something some people stay with forever.

Yet, curiously, the term "just a phase" rarely gets applied to alloromantics.
They might just get bored with it or realise that they were only into it because it's expected in an amantonormative society.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Chandrakirti said:

PS @Azxre, the angry face means I'm angry at your friends comment ...not you.

(I actually didn't see the reaction until now), I know dw

When I told my aunt I was Aro she said, and I quote,

"Are you sure it's not a side effect of the medication your on?" 

Like, yes auntie, my insulin (which everyone naturally produces), made me Aro. Sure we could take me off it, then you wouldn't have to worry. I'd be dead. ಠ ೧ ಠ

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

"You're only fourteen, kids your age aren't even supposed to date." - kids my age have been having romantic feelings since first grade. 

"So you need to start seeing your counselor again" - for the 263825th time, aromanticism is NOT a mental illness!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 1

1 hour ago, Cake-Loving Dragon said:

"You can't be asexual, you're not a plant."

"You're just a late bloomer."

Fight me.

¡Let the psychological warfare commence!

• Like 2

that aromanticism is a choice and that we identify as aro just because we can't find someone who'll date us

• Like 5

"Oh, so you just want to live with 15 cats when you're older?" Well that does sound lovely

"You have to date before you can be sure" I didn't sleep with a man and a woman and yet you still immediately believed me when I told you I am bisexual

"By the age of 30 you will start to wonder what's wrong with you" I already went through that process and I came to the conclusion that nothing is wrong with me

And of course the "you just have commitment issues"

• Like 4
  • Haha 1