NB Aros?

2 hours ago, aroMa(n)tisse said:

( @ArodynamicallyFavored, what's the intended scope of this thread?)

meant this to be a "catch all" thread & just started it with a random question I thought of. Anything can go here!!

I'll put this in my initial post for clarification <3

• Like 2

On 6/19/2016 at 1:50 PM, aroMa(n)tisse said:

Do you folks have any tips (besides styles that are labeled specifically as 'unisex') on looking genderless (as a small-breasted human, phew), not like a mixture of a man and a woman? (I'm yet to read the relevant AVEN threads...)

Not knowing what your starting line is, in terms of presentation, being genderless-looking is more about removing gender tells and looking like a mix is more about adding tells of the other binary gender.

So for example, removing male tells would typically involve being clean shaven and softening sharp features (ie facial contouring and loose clothing that drapes). Removing female tells would involve sharpening features (facial contouring in a masculine manner, binding if possible, thick eyebrows) and using little makeup (neutral colors for contouring and light eyeshadow, for example).

I also recommend specifically jean jackets. Most are pretty neutral, even the ones that are mens'/womens' specifically.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm NB! The label I've chosen is androgynous, but I might actually be agender... I'm not 100% sure. Still figuring that out. I like the label "non-binary", though, so I usually just stick with that.

As for gender influencing attraction... I seem to be mostly attracted to girls and other NB people, which makes me think I might be bi or poly instead of panro as I thought originally.

NB here too :)

I usually just call myself non-binary, I think that label is nicely wide and broad. I tend to dislike labels, so I think non-binary is a good umbrella term for me.

My feelings about my gender tend to fluctate and change, but on average I'm more on the feminine side. Sometimes I experience body dysphoria, sometimes not, but I experience social kind of dysphoria constantly.

I also think I'd be mostly attracted to other NB people... But since I don't know any in real life, currently I seem to be most often attracted to females....

• Like 2

I'm sort of both male and female and also neither and it's fluid and weird but lately I'vebeen leaning a toward the male and neutral sides of the spectrum.

I like the idea of being a loving boyfriend to a beautiful woman, like the kind of guy that would surprise her with flowers or make her coffee and kiss her awake, or feeling protected and safe with another man. Just being all cute and domestic with someone, even though I've only ever had one crush and would rather do a lot of this with a QPP. Yeah, I think gender dynamics affect how I experience relationships.

• 3 months later...
On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 1:54 PM, aihpen said:

I lean towards demigirl, maybe genderflux, but how would I know if I don't understand what exactly gender is (I read so many different explanations, but none of them is concrete enough for me to fully get it)

It sounds like you could just go with woman-aligned nonbinary.

• Like 1

On 27.10.2016 at 11:03 PM, Miles said:

It sounds like you could just go with woman-aligned nonbinary.

I might look like a woman to other people, but that doesn't mean I present this way because I want to... and therefore it doesn't really have anything to do with my gender. It's simply because of other people that I look this way and I hope to change that in the (hopefully near) future.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Hardcore lesliebean. I may not identify as a woman, but I'm very in touch with this female human vessel I live inside. I guess the only way gender has ever effected me is I feel gay as heck no matter who I'm attracted to? To be honest, the gender of a person I am sexually or aesthetically attracted to affects my feelings more than my conceptualization of personal gender.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm non-binary and I don't think it influences my attraction much at all especially since I'm bisexual. I do hate it when people, especially guys and especially people who are romantically attracted to me volunteer to pay fo things or open doors for me or stuff. I'm not entirely sure whether thats cause it feels too much like falling into traditional gender roles when I don't identify as a woman, or because it feels romantic and In romance-repulsed or whether it's because I'm such an independent person and I don't want help with anything or a combination of all three! I do know I'm much more comfortable if someone who isn't romantically attracted to me and/or if someone who doesn't identify as a man does stuff for me. 

• Like 3

I'm bigender, male and neutrois. (Gender is confusing.) I don't really think it effects my attraction much, since I'm never attracted to anyone.

I do like it when my QPP calls me their man, even though I'm nonbinary. Since I'm a college student living with my parents, I can't really present as masc as I'd like and I can't start transitioning since I'm financially dependent on them. So it's really gratifying that my partner at least refers to me in male terms.

• 6 months later...

Hi, everyone!

I'm collecting video interviews from non-straight women and transgender and non-binary people on their relationships with their femininity.

If anyone is alright with me interviewing them, please let me know! If you know anyone who might be alright with being interviewed, put them in contact with me!

I'm going to be asking everyone questions like "how does wearing a dress make you feel?" and "do you like being described as feminine?" and I plan on asking questions specific to people's orientations and gender identities as well, such as "how do you respond when people say 'you don't look like a lesbian'?" or "as a trans-girl, do you feel obligated to wear make up to indicate to other people that you are a girl?" or "do people expect you to be available to men as a woman, even after you tell them you are aromantic?"

I'm going to edit all the interviews I get into one cohesive film and then show it in a theater at my school for a suggested donation of about a dollar. I'm going to donate all proceeds to the Urgent Action Fund for Women's Rights, an organization that grants money to activists for women's rights and LGBT+ rights, especially their intersection.

I need to have this finished by March of 2019.

Thanks for your time!

I'm agender and aro. My gender hasn't affected my romantic or sexual orientation so much as it affected what I call it. I'm attracted to women but "lesbian" doesn't feel right because I don't identify as a woman, so I used to say "gay" but people would question it because I, again, don't identify as a woman. So I settled on nblw, less people know about it but it sums me up. As for my aromanticism, not at all. Label doesn't change and feelings don't change.

• 6 months later...
On 6/17/2016 at 5:50 PM, ArodynamicallyFavored said:

I'm curious. Has your gender identity ever effected who you are/were romantically attracted to?

I don't think my gender has affected who i'm attracted to, but i think it affected who i thought i was attracted to. Before i accepted that i'm trans, i tried so hard to convince myself i was a lesbian. After hearing lesbians talk about how they always felt different from other girls, being drawn to GNC or butch lesbians, and being completely uninterested in romantic advances from my male friends, i latched on to that label to explain all my differences away. It was to the point of going into denial when i started developing sexual attraction to men and my romantic attraction to women remained nonexistant, and i spent years trying to come up with alternative explanations for my gender dysphoria. I'm much happier now that i've accepted who i am, and i don't think my actual gender has affected my actual romantic attraction, since i have none :D

• 4 months later...

Hey, an Agender person here, and for the question, I get more people asking “who are you attracted to?” But I had worked out my gender and my romantic/sexual orientation at around the same time, which was Aro/Ace. When I explain it, it doesn’t help.

• 3 years later...