Share your Talents!

Zema

Here's a thread where you can share any talents that you may have. Anything is allowed. If you're a musician, post a recording of yourself! If you're an artist, post one of your pieces! If you're a writer, post a link to something you've written! What ever it is, I want to see it!

Here's me doing some cardistry: (EDIT: My friend just sent me a slow-mo video of a card flick which I came up with a while ago. It's inside a double spoiler)

R2fV7yP.png

N4IR0Mz.jpg

82sCSQf.jpg

I want to see what everyone is good at :).

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is difficult to describe in writing, but I can wrap my arm round the back of my head, under my chin, all the way round to theear on the same side of my body as my arm. Did that make sense? O.o:S I have no idea.

I suppose I have a talent for research? And I definitely DON'T have a talent for music. I used to do piano, but despite practicing every single day my teacher would still often think I hadn't practiced at all.

5 minutes ago, Zemaddog said:

How big are the numbers, and how quickly?

I usually tell people to give me random two-digit numbers and I multiply them within a couple seconds. Then I outline the logic I used to get there and people's eyes gloss over.

Just now, Snow said:

I usually tell people to give me random two-digit numbers and I multiply them within a couple seconds. Then I outline the logic I used to get there and people's eyes gloss over.

I'm really interested in your method. Could you perhaps explain it to me? I have my own way of multiplying two 2 digit numbers, but it isn't very fast.

1 minute ago, Zemaddog said:

I'm really interested in your method. Could you perhaps explain it to me? I have my own way of multiplying two 2 digit numbers, but it isn't very fast.

I think of the relationships of numbers a lot, so it might not work out for everyone. The most common method I use is to multiply one of the numbers by the nearest multiple of 10 then add the rest. For example, 32 x 73 I'd do 30 x 73 = 2190 (since 73 x 3 is 219) then add another 146 for 2336. I'd then verify that by noting that 73 is close to 74, and 2400 would be 32 x 75 because one-quarter of 32 is 8 and 8 x 3 is 24, and 75 is three-quarters of 100. I pay special attention to increased powers of 2, and since 32 is 2^5, I think about it more and notice more patterns than other numbers.

One thing I also like doing is factoring large numbers (like 7-digit phone numbers) in my head, but that is a longer process.

1 minute ago, Snow said:

I think of the relationships of numbers a lot, so it might not work out for everyone. The most common method I use is to multiply one of the numbers by the nearest multiple of 10 then add the rest. For example, 32 x 73 I'd do 30 x 73 = 2190 (since 73 x 3 is 219) then add another 146 for 2336. I'd then verify that by noting that 73 is close to 74, and 2400 would be 32 x 75 because one-quarter of 32 is 8 and 8 x 3 is 24, and 75 is three-quarters of 100. I pay special attention to increased powers of 2, and since 32 is 2^5, I think about it more and notice more patterns than other numbers.

One thing I also like doing is factoring large numbers (like 7-digit phone numbers) in my head, but that is a longer process.

This is similar to the way I do it. I clearly just need to practise more xD. Thanks for sharing! I wish I could naturally be as good as you at something like that.

Just now, Louis Hypo said:

I know every square number up to 900

Does that mean you can square 863? Or does that mean you can only square numbers whose square is less than 900? That was a confusing sentence.

Just now, Dodgypotato said:

I can eat all day non stop, and not get fat. I can also sleep for 24+ hours at a time.

I'm going places, I know.

I too can eat all day and not get fat. I just tend not too eat that much. The most I can sleep for at one time is 12 hours, and that's only under very specific circumstances.

I said it already, but I'm a 2D/3D Game Artist Student =) So, I create shit xD It's my life now, always creating shit. 

So here, have some shit I've done: (super sorry for some of the pictures being huge) 

3D

Spoiler

eva-nimeni-weber-full-platform.jpg?14401

2D

Spoiler

tumblr_nki683TcGR1rp4t44o1_1280.jpg

Others

Spoiler

13391499_1102254509821209_58279462058835romantically_apocalyptic___cosplay_2_gam

I'm the one with the straw xD (romantically apocalyptic cosplay)

I've been in an internship for 6 months and while I did do some creative stuff of my own besides that, I haven't had anything mayor to show in quite some time D: 

I'm itching to be creative again but have to get some theory stuff /Paperwork  out of the way first. It's driving me up walls and growling at people.

I do lots of things with yarn, and occasionally beading. *gestures to avatar* I also play one instrument well (clarinet), two instruments sorta passably (bass drum and snare drum), one instrument kinda meh (guitar), and one instrument very poorly (ocarina) :P 

Also, sometimes I try to write, but it's been a while and none of my stuff is posted anywhere because, uh, I never actually finish things... :$

13 hours ago, Louis Hypo said:

Ok, up to 30^2

As of now, I remember the squares decently up to 66^2 = 4356 and then start stumbling. After a bit of practice, I'd be able to remember the squares up to 111^2 = 12321. But I haven't wasted time on learning two multiply two arbitrary two-digit numbers like Snow.

I play piano (I am specialized in jazz), french horn (classic), and a bit of latin percussions (timbales, surdo, and accessories for now :P)

I also have a phenomenal memory of details I unintentionally remember about others such as where their siblings work, what's their favorite color, what day I met them first (in incredible details sometimes), and other totally irrelevant shit that makes me look like a creep :D

So I finally got round to filming myself spinning some pens. It's just a simple pen spin I devised late last year, although I'm not sure it's entirely original. Had to hold my phone in my mouth to film this xD.

First with one hand:

1OINsgj.gif

And now with both hands:

3wdvzKL.gif

The only reason I am this good is because I just have this need to do something with my hands and pens are the one of those things which are really easy to get my hands on. Also you can practise pen spinning at school without the teacher getting mad at you unlike with cardistry.

EDIT: That second gif got 2800 views and 39 points on imgur in 15 hours xD.

3 hours ago, Zemaddog said:

So I finally got round to filming myself spinning some pens. It's just a simple pen spin I devised late last year, although I'm not sure it's entirely original. Had to hold my phone in my mouth to film this xD.

First with one hand:

Reveal hidden contents

1OINsgj.gif

And now with both hands:

Reveal hidden contents

3wdvzKL.gif

The only reason I am this good is because I just have this need to do something with my hands and pens are the one of those things which are really easy to get my hands on. Also you can practise pen spinning at school without the teacher getting mad at you unlike with cardistry.

Until you flick it across physics lecture theaters, hitting people and losing your pen!

Archived