What kinds of physical touch do you like/dislike? (Poll)

Quinoa

What kinds of physical touch do you like/dislike?  

261 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I only ever hug my parents. I hug my friends when it's expected of me to do so. Sometimes I feel forced to hug friends and family because it would be weird not to. How I feel about hugging depends a lot on my mood. 

I've never tried kissing anyone, so I don't know how I feel about kissing. I can't imagine what it would be like and I don't want to find out either. Thinking about ever kissing someone makes uncomfortable and I do my best to avoid it. I once asked my sister if she had ever thought about kissing and if she would want to do it with anyone and she said yes, so I guess kissing is a thing people actually want to do? I don't know if I would ever want to and if it'd be enjoyable, but it's not like it bothers me not to know. My mum used to give me kisses on the cheek when I was little and I didn't like it hahah. I thought it was gross.

I don't like cuddling, just the thought makes my skin crawl.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty touch-averse, even with platonic friends or family. I don't like anything that feels too... encircling, if that makes sense? I don't even like to be hugged when I'm upset, though I will do it (awkwardly, with too much space between bodies) if a friend is sad.

I don't mind short kisses in a sexual context but 'making out' for more than a couple of seconds feels boring at best and smothering/oppressive at worst.

I also find that the lighter the touch, the more irritating it feels. Anyone else get this? Brushing legs with a stranger on the bus makes me want to scream. I've mildly offended co-workers many times by whipping my hand back at the speed of light if we reach for the same thing and brush fingers. I do believe my aversion to kissing and cuddling is an a-spec thing, but the sensory trouble with platonic touch I think is just me being wired up unusually.

• Like 1

I'm a "sometimes" with all of these - it depends on the person, the situation and the mood I'm in. The kind of touch I like best is having my hair played with. Feels great and takes me right back to childhood. :) My least favourite kind of touch is when someone puts their hand on the small of my back. I'm not sure why it bothers me so much but it feels possessive and weird.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I chose sometimes to every question, here is why

1. Do you like hugs?
hugs are mostly a comfort thing so I actively seek them out when I am upset or sick (spread the disease!), or a greeting/goodbye to someone I am close to and think they deserve more than a handshake. Otherwise it is a don't trap me in your arms scenario. 

2. Do you like kisses?

goodnight kisses are a thing in my family so sometimes it feels like I am missing out on something if I go to bed without one, but otherwise it is a bit iffy.

3. Do you like cuddling?
When I am cold I have been known to seek out the warmest friend in the room, but I would much prefer to cuddle a hot water bottle or a dog. I have been told I cuddle a lot in bed when I am asleep but I think that is my heat seeking nature as those comments have only ever popped up in winter. Otherwise I find it quite awkward and I get twitchy and want to run. 

• 6 months later...

I put sometimes for Hugging and Cuddling because while I reeeeaaaallly love hugs & cuddling, I only actively want to hug/cuddle one person and in general I'm uncomfortable hugging most people, even those who are friends/family.  

I'm not really okay with kisses but I feel like it's the less worst. I hate hugs the most. It makes me so anxious and I don't understand how people could even like these kind of things. It makes me feel claustrophobic and really bad. I feel like there's no way for me to escape and it's triggering. 

I'm easily startled, so I would generally rather people not touch me without asking.

As long as I'm expecting it I'm all for hugs and cuddles. Cheek or forehead kisses are nice too.

I've never actually kissed anyone on the lips so I can't speak to what my reaction to that would be, but generally think of it as a romantic gesture, so I have a hard time imagining myself being comfortable with that unless it's with someone that I'm romantically interested in.

• 4 weeks later...

Hugs- it depends. I guess I'll hug my mom, because I'm expected to hug her, and it doesn't make me that uncomfortable. I love hugging my little brother, and hugs with young children is perfectly fine, because they're adorable and innocent and such. But everyone else, even friends? No. I'm uncomfortable with that.

The idea of kisses mildly grosses me out. I'm the one looking away and occasionally loudly saying, "Ew!" when kissing scenes come up on tv or movies.

What is cuddling anyways?? I mean, if a little kid wants to sit on my lap, sure, go ahead. I'll rest my feet on my dad occasionally when we're both sitting on the couch, but that's it. Anything beyond that scares me.

I'm just scared of/uncomfortable with touch, I suppose. I have a big personal space bubble. Even at school, if I can sit anywhere, I'll always make sure to have at least one desk between me and anyone else. (I'm sorry, other people; it's not that I don't like you, I'm just uncomfortable sitting so close to you) With friends it's different, and I can sit beside them, as long as there's enough space between us to keep me comfortable. High fives scare me, but I can do them alright, although it's a better idea to never initiate them with me. I dread handshakes. I can shake hands with people if I'm socially expected to do that, but I'd rather not.

I once had a friend who I told about me not liking touch, but being okay with handshakes and highfives, and so when she gave my other friend a hug, she offered a handshake to me. It was in that moment I knew that I should have specified that I'd rather not do any touch if I can help it. Suffice it to say that it felt way more awkward in that scenario to shake hands than it is normally. (I mean, handshakes are so formal!)

• Like 1

Hugs are only okay with people I'm very close to I don't like to be touched in general

Kissing is okay when it's between close friends with no romantic or sexual meaning (sounds strange I know)

Cuddling is absolutely not okay

• 3 weeks later...

I don't really like either of the three but it's less because they're romantic gestures and more because I'm awkward. I may even be mildly touch averse but it's not really because the gestures are inherently romantic

I love hugs and cuddling if it's with the right people. I said sometimes for kisses because I'm fine with little kisses but not on my mouth, and I'll give little kisses on the head to people I cuddle with.

I say sometimes for kisses. Being French, we have this thing called "la bise" so kissing is not necessarily à romantic thing if not on the mouth. I dont like it but I dont dislike it (except on the mouth; never tried,  dont want to); I'm just indifferent. I just like to kiss my parents sometimes, but I prefer hugs. I LOVE hugs.

I'm a really touchy person. In general it feels a lot easier for me to express myself through hugs or pats on the back, high fives, casual hand holding, even kissing if it's very clear that the situation is casual. The amount of how touchy I am with someone depends on how close I am to them. For example, if it's a friend I only speak to in class, the most I would to is a gentle pat on their shoulders(comforting them after a failed test) but if it's a close friend I would hug them without thinking at any point. Some people are more huggable (?) than others but idk if anyone would understand. I usually do ask for consent in some way. For example, I would explicitly ask if they want a hug or I wait for them to open up their arms as an okay sign. I also feel sensual attraction. Like, I would feel the sudden urge to squeeze someone's face or hug them intensely.

But all of this goes away the minute I get the sense that the situation might be romantic. Recently I was asked to a concert with this guy friend and I only thought it was a casual outing(he said the kid who was supposed to go with him bailed and I felt bad because it was his birthday). Long story short, I realized that it was a date waaaaayyyy after and I freaked out. I tried to put as much distance in between me and him as possible and I would step back whenever he tried to come close. We were on pretty okay levels of friendship at the time(I thought). He did like me at one point but he went through this big trouble of saying that he wasn't anymore (he sits on a throne of lies). The touch level was casual but only because I was sure we were just friends.

Anyways the overall point is I'm comfortable with any level of physical contact as long as its platonic but the minute I sense it might be in a romantic context I am immediately repulsed.

• Like 1

Come to think of it, I've never kissed anyone other than my parents or relatives (or my cats, but I don't think they count). So........sometimes? I guess? I don't dislike it, but I also don't really want physical contact with other people in general.

For cuddling, I have no idea since I've never been with someone that close before.

Hugging?

No. It feels like I'm getting choked and I don't like it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Tiogair said:

Hugging is okay but only really as a greeting (I find it creepy otherwise) 

Kissing is... Meh

Cuddling is a heck no, so uncomfortable and awkward 

I'm the same. I won't turn down a greeting hug (even if I don't really like hugging and it doesn't feel natural to me) because I don't want to be rude. I only ever hug my mom or my siblings, true hugs I mean. Not greeting hugs. 

Kissing is as you said: meh. 

And I don't even think I've ever even cuddled in my life with anyone that wasn't family and even then I can only take like 30 seconds of that. I can't even fathom cuddling with someone, it just seems so weighted in romantic interest. Even if it weren't no thanks. 

I answered sometimes on all so I'll explain each...

Hugs: So for hugs I can appreciate short hugs from people close to me, I adore hugs from children and as  long as they are short really appreciate hugs from very close relatives and friends in  situations such as saying bye or greeting each other after not seeing each other for a month or so

Kisses: Eh platonicly? Not the biggest fan I usually just say "mwah" while rushing off to whatever I'm doing, sexually yeah I enjoy french and neck kissing...

Cuddling: Depends on the person and situation, when going to sleep usually it's okay if I'm close to the person otherwise usually I'm not interested 

16 hours ago, snapesonalane said:

I'm the same. I won't turn down a greeting hug (even if I don't really like hugging and it doesn't feel natural to me) because I don't want to be rude. I only ever hug my mom or my siblings, true hugs I mean. Not greeting hugs. 

Kissing is as you said: meh. 

And I don't even think I've ever even cuddled in my life with anyone that wasn't family and even then I can only take like 30 seconds of that. I can't even fathom cuddling with someone, it just seems so weighted in romantic interest. Even if it weren't no thanks. 

I like the idea of being in a relationship sometimes so I have tried it but then get the repulsion. Cuddling was the ABSOLUTE worst I tell you!

I'm touch repulsed something fierce (partially trauma, partially autism / spd issues) so I don't like hugs in the slightest. They feel weird and wrong. But at the same time, I love kissing my qpp; our relationship is basically "everything but romance" both physically and emotionally. As for cuddles, I like pressure, f'ex someone laying on top of me. Currently my qpp is the only person I'm comfortable with letting touch me on a regular basis, which is kind of inconvenient given that we live a ten hour drive apart...

• 2 months later...