What kinds of physical touch do you like/dislike? (Poll)

Quinoa

What kinds of physical touch do you like/dislike?  

261 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

hugs: yes

kisses: sometimes (yes to quick kisses, especially if they're not on the mouth, no to french kissing, yes to sexual kisses alllll over and/or lip biting)

cuddles: yes yes yes (cuddles are the best)

• Like 1

I'm pretty much the opposite of the norm I think. Hugs are awkward to me. It's one thing if it's very explicitly friend-to-friend and even then I need some warning or I get really freaked out. Even then, I never initiate hugs, my friends do.

Kissing I like because I tend to view it in a sexual/sensual way rather than romantic. I will never understand why I feel this way, honestly.

Cuddling I can take or leave honestly. If it's with someone that I'm attracted to, it's good, I like it for the most part, I like the being physically close. But I really don't like "friend cuddling," probably because it's more sensual to me than platonic and I don't feel like that about my friends

So yeah basically because I "incorrectly" learned romance vs sexuality I'm okay with a lot of socially romantic things.

• Like 1

I love hugs and cuddling with my dogs but not cuddling with people. I can't stand hugs with any sort of rubbing of patting. No. o_o I've never actually kissed someone. I don't think I'd enjoy it, though. I just don't understand kissing :/ I've always hated when family members would try to kiss me too.

• Like 3

I like being hugged, but only by trusted close family/friends.  If I don't like or trust a person, I won't let them hug me. 

I've never liked kisses.  I remember, when I was about 4, I asked my mother to stop kissing me on my lips.  I know this must have hurt Mum now, but the little trace of saliva that was left after someone kissed me on my lips grossed me out.  I've always had an extreme disgust towards saliva, even as a very young child.  I don't mind it if Mum kisses me on the cheek, but she knows I'm not much into kisses and generally respects that.

I've never been much of a cuddler either.  I had to be in extreme emotional extremis before I'd ever seek out cuddling as a form of comfort. 

I think that's why it took me so long to realise I was aro, too. I thought that enjoying hugs and cuddling were a part of romantic attraction, until I realised they can be super platonic (but no I hate kissing ugh).

Hugs are super great, I'm just really awkward with initiating physical affection but I'll happily take it :) cuddling would only be with a squish or a pet.

On 6/21/2016 at 10:59 PM, UncommonNonsense said:

I've never liked kisses.  I remember, when I was about 4, I asked my mother to stop kissing me on my lips.  I know this must have hurt Mum now, but the little trace of saliva that was left after someone kissed me on my lips grossed me out.  I've always had an extreme disgust towards saliva, even as a very young child.  I don't mind it if Mum kisses me on the cheek, but she knows I'm not much into kisses and generally respects that.

I have found that giving people who are likely to kiss me a hug as soon as I first see them often causes them to take that as the greeting and not kiss me. Just thought I'd mention that in case it helps you. 

On 6/23/2016 at 4:07 AM, aussiekirkland said:

Hugs are super great, I'm just really awkward with initiating physical affection but I'll happily take it :) 

Same here. I always worry that I'm hugging someone who doesn't want to be hugged. Some of my friends have thought I don't like hugs, since I almost never initiate them, but I actually really like hugs. 

• Like 1

Yes to all three.

Hugs are okay almost with friends. I'm okay with short greeting hugs with most people of my age and in some cases with older people too. Longer, more meaningful hugs are great with closer friends. I however can't stand hugging most of my family members and relatives. Also I hate the "my sports team won" kind of hugs.

Cuddling is wonderful with closer friends. However many people tend to see cuddling as a romantic act and finding cuddle-able friends isn't exactly easy :(

I also like kissing close friends. Kisses on cheeks or forehead etc. are fine with friends. In the queerplatonic relationship I had, I also liked kissing on lips, neck, ears etc.

I tend to crave a touch contact with people a lot, but I'm quite afraid to initiate a touch, mainly because I'm afraid that people get my intentions wrong and think I want something romantic. Only exception is a friendly hug, or if it's in a QPR.

• Like 4

I like hugs, I'll tolerate cuddling for a short time, but kissing is where I draw the line. A simple kiss on the cheek from a family member or something is okay, but anything remotely near the lips, no. Get away from me xD

• Like 1

I like hugs with my mother, other than that I just find them awkward, same goes for cuddling. I always thought myself a Velcro-kind of person, I was when I was younger, but as I matured I encountered a lot of times where people took it the wrong way, got the wrong meaning from it. So now I don't even like the occasional friendly hug.

Kissing - no, I never considered myself a germophobe, heck I will eat food dropped in the dirt(with dirty hands), clean out and stitch together nasty infected injuries on animals and dissect critters that died to see why, but I cannot even stand a kiss on the cheek by my parents or even someone taking a sip of my drink(a few friends inherit my drinks because they weren't thinking and took a sip).

Hugs from my family, especially my mom and nieces/nephews are fine. But I don't really like them from others. I remember before christmas, I had a co-worker whom I'm not really close with, hug me while I was changing out of my scrubs after my shift had ended. She was fully clothed, and there was I, in a jumper, socks and underwear...no pants/trousers yet..and she hugged me...SOOO awkward O.o.

And I never liked people I'm not close with touching me. I always cringe a bit when certain co-workers pulls up the sleeves on my scrub to get a better look at one of my tattoos. Like, you can ask if I can show you, I don't have a problem showing off my tats, just don't start undressing me without asking!

I'm not fond of kissing. Sometimes I kiss my nieces/nephews on their cheek/top of their head (they range from 5 years to 9 years), but that's about it. Except babies. I love babies. Babies get's all my kisses. And dogs off course. My Asia get's tons of kisses everyday :) 

I like hugs OK and kissing can be fun and the one person in the world that I cuddled with, I was ok with cuddling too.

I like to think that I want these things, but lately I realized that I actually don't know if I do! With the right person in the right situations I know I'd enjoy them though. 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I like hugs & cuddles, but kissing is just gross. It's not a romantic thing for me - even platonic kissing bugs me (I made Mom stop kissing me when I was a preschooler).

Regarding what someone else mentioned about people liking cuddles but not hugs, I could see that. I can easily cuddle for hours, but hugs get awkward if they go on too long. It's mostly a matter of needing to sit down because standing hurts, and being too big to fit comfortably on an adult's lap. But I can easily fit on the seat beside them, with their arm around me. 

I love hugs and cuddles, I like the closeness it brings in my platonic relationships. As for kisses, I'm neither here nor there. I like cheek/forehead kisses but not overly enthused about mouth kisses, it's never really felt nice for me or anything. 

I LOVE hugging, cuddling and kissing. I even kind of crave it.

But if it's gonna happen, you have to be in relationship with me or be part of my family (as in 'sister, mother, father') Otherwise You. Just. Don't. Touch. Me. At. All. Like. Never. Even when we're greeting: I really don't need you breathing near my fucking face, thank you very much (I hate this French custom... like ugh).

I avoid any physical contact with anyone who isn't family or in relationship with me. Heck, even my best friend whom I love very much and can't even thank enough for being with me I can't touch him, unless he needs a hug (and that will be 3 hugs, in the 4 years that I know him). And it's still very veryyyy uncomfortable for me.

But when family or my QP is involved, I became an octopus, or a cat.

As in ' just touch me and I will be purring and humming in happiness, but god help me if you stop it will be very painful for you':D

I like cuddling with people I have a very strong bond with, whom I see as best friends and whom I love in my own way. I hug all my friends, but it is only with the kind of people I just mentioned that I feel emotionally safe, warm, comfortable and protected - otherwise I kind of feel like ice. 

As for kisses, it's more complex. I do the classic cheek kiss as a form of greeting with my regular (female) friends, and also when I congratulate someone or thank for a gift, etc. (don't mind). Mouth kissing: only with a boy I'm also sexually attracted to. A soft peck on the lips, which I'd use as a greeting form with a male queerplatonic partner, represents for me the line between sensual and sexual. It generally feels affectionate and warm, but it has erotic connotations because in the right setting (total privacy), it leads to making out and it turns me on. Neck and body kissing, as well as hugging/cuddling either partly dressed or with clothes off is sexual to me, so I'd only feel comfortable doing all these with a boy I desire(I'm straight) .If the bond between us is very strong (best friend to queerplatonic feelings), apart from turning me on, these activities give me a sense of total relaxation, ease and comfort. 

I am strange xD

• Like 2

I like hugs/cuddles and don't have an inhibition about hugging/kissing someone if I have a sensual attraction to them, and they're OK with it (kissing only if I'm dating them, full mouth/cheek kisses both OK. I hate it when anyone else even kisses my cheek outside of the dating context!), but generally speaking, hugging has to be on my terms. Luckily, pretty much everyone who knows me respects my boundaries and asks first :) 

I'm more tolerant about being touched than I was as a kid, but I'm still more comfortable with people not doing it.

• Like 1

I used to be pretty touch averse. But after a fair amount of 'exposure therapy' (from one friend in particualr, lol) I quite like hugs/cuddles now.

The idea of kissing still weirds me out a lot (I reckon its due to its assumed 'romantic' connotations - unlike hugging, it's generally seen as something reserved for romantic partners - and is portrayed that way in a lot of popular media. Also, for some reason it makes me think of this xD

But hey, hopefully that could follow a similar pattern to the hugging? :P

2 hours ago, Ice Queen said:

I am strange xD

Naaah - it's everyone else 'out there' that's strange ;) 

You're new here, but you'll soon learn! :D:aropride:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I love hugs and cuddling :arolove: (platonically)

Kissing, I never have enjoyed it, but I think I could be okay with closed mouth kisses. I sais sometimes because I like kisses on other parts of body, arms, torso, etc, to show affection :) But then I treat people I like how I treat my cat.. cuddles and head kisses :D

• Like 1

On 12 May 2017 at 1:14 PM, SamwiseLovesLife said:

But then I treat people I like how I treat my cat.. cuddles and head kisses :D

Haha, a human would have to be pretty awesome to get treated the same way I treat cats. :P

• Like 1

I answered 'sometimes' to all 'cause it'll depend if I'm close, and more importantly, trusting; to the people I hug, (cheek) kiss and/or cuddle (rarely to seldom happens) with. More importantly, with consent from me.

Getting hugged, kissed or cuddled impromptu is massively uncomfortable, a big fat no-no and space-invading. And if someone involves touching me in places where it's a 'radioactive red alert alarm', I'll be even more uncomfortable to the point I start to shake and have disturbia for hours.

Spoiler

This has happened once last year when a high school schoolmate acquaintance found me while I was on my way to the grocery and before we parted ways their hand brushed my left side of my stomach.