What kinds of physical touch do you like/dislike? (Poll)

Quinoa

What kinds of physical touch do you like/dislike?  

261 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So I'm wondering whether there are any trends as far as whether aros like to be touched. I have heard that a lot of aros don't like being touched, and I have always been curious about this because I like hugs and cuddling in a non-romantic way (just no kisses). In fact, that was one of the main things that made me take so long to realize I was aromantic. 

For this poll, I stuck to non-sexual touching because I'm ace and therefore not really the person to make questions about sexual touching. 

• Like 2

I absolutely love hugs and cuddling. :arolove: Kissing is not so straight forward.

Kissing anywhere but the mouth is great. On the lips I like short kisses, and french kissing is okay, but but after a while, I'd probably move on to kiss her neck or start biting her lip or something. It just gets really boring after a while.

• Like 1

I've always thought of cuddling as like an upgrade or more intimate version of hugs, so I'm surprised to see that more people are okay with cuddles than hugs!

• Like 6

As a general rule I've never liked being touched, and if someone touches me without me knowing beforehand it can sometimes be really horrible (my skin will crawl and sometimes i might cry). Every now and then though i just need a hug - i usually only hug my mother bc most people are terrifying rip

even though when i 'hug' someone i usually just go up to them and sort of put my head on their shoulder. it's a hug in my mind B|

I also like the idea of cuddling but I don't think I could actually handle it

• Like 4

I love hugs, they're amazing. Fortunately most my friends agree.

Cuddling I'm iffy on. I don't mind cuddling for a bit, but certainly not for a long time. This is more a physical comfort thing that a touch thing.

Kissing is complicated. I like quick kisses, on the lips or otherwise (preferably otherwise?) but snogging (aka making out/prolonged kissing sessions) holds very little appeal for me. One of my exes was super into snogging for long periods of time and it was just so boring. Like ok, we've made out, can we stop, I want to breathe, get out of my face.

• Like 2

I'm a pretty touchy person even though sometimes I don't see the point in certain touch. Like I am fine with holding hands but it's not the greatest thing ever. And I'm okay with kissing but if it's too much at once then I get bored.

however Since a lot of touch are tought as romantic I sometimes get in trouble or I feel insecure.

• Like 1

Okay, so I do feel sensual attractions, but only in very specific occasions :eyebrow: (so it rarely happens).

For example, if I have a night out at a club with friends of mine, and ready to enjoy the atmostphere and dancing, I'm inclined to touch and be touched(incl. kissing and hugs)

I don't know why, but partying atmosphere usually feels less intimate and personal to me, so I feel more comfortable when it comes to touching as long as it's guaranteed to last for a short amount of time. 

But then, if the touch gets too heavy, or if someone wants a private talk with me, or wants to carry it on somewhere else, it's a big no-no. If someone insists, I'll call it a night straight off and go home by myself. 

So in my case, touch is a-okay if situation allows and I'm ready to enjoy the exciting atmosphere.

But I just don't like when it lasts too long(like long makeout session:/ ugh please no), or in any private and secluded area like dark alley, rooms, hotels, home, etc. 

When the situation becomes romantic or private or sexual, sensual touches hold no appeal to me anymore.

To sum it up, I like hugs and kisses in some (few) occasions, but cuddles are probably never going to be my thing. 9_9

Don't like kisses. Well, I've never really kissed anyone other than family but I can't imagine liking it..

Hugs or cuddling is sometimes. Sometimes I'll really want to hug or cuddle someone, some days I absolutely hate it and don't want anyone near me. :P  Generally, I'm alright with them.

Detest people touching me. I don't even know why, but I do. Only my closest friends are allowed to hug me, and sometimes I cuddle (sort of) with them when everything seems to be falling apart because it's nice that I can hold on to something/one when shit is going down.

I'm okay with all of these, but just like Saaaro I'm not really big on snogging and I'm not very sure why, it's just that after a few minutes I feel like I need to pull away for some reason and not knowing why is quite bothering me.

I'm a lot more into hugs than kisses though. I love hugs. Gimme all the hugs.

I appear to be the exception here.

Really like all of these. Often struggle with finding people who want to do them with me. Especially kissing, seems that the vast majority of people will only kiss (potential) romantic partners.

I have had to remind people, on more than one occasion, that they should not assume that I am ace because I am aro or assume that I am haphephobic because I am on the autistic spectrum and aro.

It actually depends everywhere. I like cuddling, because to cuddle with someone already implies closeness/that you feel comfortable with the person in some way. Hugging is super nice, too, with said person, but I do find the concept to be weird among strangers (as a greeting?) I sure do love to hug(tackle/punce) with friends though, but if someone hugs me out of the blue, I'll tense up. 

Kissing is more complicated and loaded. I do like short kisses, but again, only with people I already like as a person to begin with (or sometimes cute girls). I feel bored with elongated french kissing though. It just feels mechanical and somewhat yucky to me. 

It's just, I've become wary of all these things by time, because when I still perceived them as harmless, others felt they send "mixed signals". Avoiding "mixed signals" has become way more of a huge deal to me than any kind of comfort I might get out of any of these touches, which is why for now, until I'm completely relaxed and trust the person, I'll probably tense up at anything anyway xD" 

• Like 1

It depends so much on the person. If it's with a friend, sure. But if there's the slightest hint that the person may have an interest in me I want to run away as fast as possible. And yes to the "mixed signals." I'm so careful, especially around guys, that I don't give off the slightest "flirty" signals.

Kissing is a bit weird. I've tried making out, once, just out of curiosity. It wasn't that great. So I guess I generally don't like them but in the right situation I could.

Well... This is a very complex question for me, because I'm both hypersensitive to touch (so I'm sort of touch averse) and very sensual. In an intimate context, I crave cuddles and hugs but I need to overcome very painful sensory overload, so I actually need to be spiritually extremely intimate with someone in order to not actively avoid touch and to focus on the enjoyable aspect. I'm a bit repulsed by kisses in general because I'm somewhat germaphobic, but I can enjoy them if my partner is a good kisser.