Other languages!

Tal Shi'ar

I'm bilingual in English and Spanish, and I've been trying to learn ASL and Italian.

Soy bilingual en ingles y español, y e estado tratando de aprender ASL y italiano. (my Spanish is a little worse than my English but I've been trying)

1 hour ago, WaterPhoenix said:

I love duolingo. My problem is I can't focus on learning just one language

Same! I started learning polish and then tried to learn Italian at the same time and now I end up mixing words for the two of them. I've given up on polish for now because it's difficult but occasionally I like to revisit it and in the future I might try to pick it up again.

• Like 1

native english, fluent french, basic japanese and estonian.

btw @Momo it's 私は日本語の学生です.  you ignore the の in the translation: i'm a japanese (language) student.  same as "i'm a japanese (nationality) student".  in english we don't really use separate words for those.  in estonian we do.  estonia=eesti.  estonian language=eesti keel.  estonian person=eestlane (pl. eestlased).  i struggle with japanese sentence structure and particles, too.  

i want to learn italian next.  but i also want to develop/refine these three.

I'm a native French, and I read and write English (or at least I hope so), but for some reason don't speak it or understand it when people talk to me (probably the accent, I can't understand what you say if you Don't use a horrible French accent :D ).

9 hours ago, nonmerci said:

I'm a native French, and I read and write English (or at least I hope so), but for some reason don't speak it or understand it when people talk to me (probably the accent, I can't understand what you say if you Don't use a horrible French accent :D ).

that's the hard part for me, too, in french: conversation.  i can prepare and deliver a monologue, but i have trouble coming up with stuff on the spot, and while i know my accent is better than most anglo canadians', i don't love it.  i understand 99% of what my professor says, but most natives speak too quickly and sometimes with a difficult accent.  to improve my listening comprehension, i watch french youtubers.  i also watch japanese tv and anime (with english subtitles) but that's also for my vocabulary and grammar--can't comprehend what i don't know in the first place.  interestingly, while i don't know much estonian, my pronunciation and accent are perfect.  you could give me something to read aloud and i'd understand little but i'd sound like my native/fluent mom (who speaks english and french at least as well as i do, plus decent german).  i've done it before, in front of a large group.

@nonmerci, your writing is indeed very good.  i've seen only a couple minor mistakes in all your posts i've read, and i could see where they came from.

sorry, i love this topic.  i love languages.

It turned out that im the only Russian here in this topic haha. In this case, я рада приветствовать вас, мои аромантичные друзья?, обнимашки-целовашки и всё такое прочее, надо ведь что-то мне на русском написать, чтобы вы переводили и насладились заодно прекрасными славянскими буквами

Its real problem for me to write comments at forums like this. Im very afraid to make some kind of mistake and look stupid, so im forced to recheck almost every word i write

Btw im also study German (well at least try to). Know it at level "Ich heiße Helga", "Ich will sterben", "Ich habe Kopfschmerzen, denn ich habe einen Kater". But its only the beginning i hope cause im dying to visit Germany some day.

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 3:57 AM, aro_elise said:

i understand 99% of what my professor says, but most natives speak too quickly and sometimes with a difficult accent

Same for me in English (plus there are so much accents…). A thing I notice : people from a different language always seem to speak quicker than people who speaks your native language.

What helped me was watching shows in vostfr. I began because like this, I see the épisodes quicker, but it helps me with the accent.

I also sing English song, but the funny thing is that I lost completly the accent when I speak istead of singing.

"your writing is indeed very good.  i've seen only a couple minor mistakes in all your posts i've read, and i could see where they came from."

thanks. ^^ Reading forums or YouTube comments helped me a lot.

@Fussy Rat Don't be afraid to write in English, this is the only way to progress ^^ . Plus I'm sure that people are aware that even if you write inEnglish, you may not be an English native speaker.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

まあ、私は日本語を学んでいる人間です。小学校と北京でイタリア語を学びました!

(Well, I am a human that is learning Japanese. Learnt a spot of Italian in Primary School and mandarin too!)

I love languages! But I didn't start liking languages until after I stopped studying it in school, unfortunately. Swedish is my native language and I've also studied English and Spanish in school. Beyond that, I've studied a few more languages in my spare time for fun. The only language I'm studying actively right now (and the one I've come the furthest with) is Mandarin Chinese, but I've also tried to learn a few other languages such as Spanish and Polish. I'm not actively using Duolingo right now. The only language-learning app I'm using almost daily is ankidroid, a.k.a. anki for Android (a flashcard app).

I'm required to be proficient in two foreign languages for my PhD, so because I mostly am interesting in doing research in Cuba and Brazil, I'm learning Spanish and Portuguese. For now, I'm doubling down on my Spanish, and then when I'm more comfortable with that, I'll start giving Portuguese some attention. Definitely nervous about getting it all done fast enough, but I at least have no shortage of Spanish speakers I can practice with.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...