Jump to content
Tal Shi'ar

Other languages!

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Kojote said:

 

 

I am so sorry for our language guys. So so sorry D:" 

 

So my native tongue is german. I, unsurprisingly speak english, and I've tried for years to learn japanese. I wasn't even all bad, but circumstances always got in my way. Now I know a lot of words, the hiragana and the katakana writing system and the pronunciation, but I can't, for the life of me form proper sentences. TT__TT
It's my biggest regret.

NO APOLOGIES NECESSARY!!! I love a good challenge ^_^

*hugs* you'll get it!!! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

English is my first language, though I also speak Esperanto. I used to know ASL pretty well (to about the level of my esperanto right now) because my brother didn't speak for a very long time and we used ASL to communicate with him.

I also know very little Arabic (enough to pick out certain words but I only took it for ~2 years and I know a lot of phrases and a little grammar so...)

I'm trying to bring myself back to at least moderate proficiency with ASL and Arabic, and I really want an espeanto pen pal but sadly most of the people on language exchange websites don't actually care to respond.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, AlexisS said:

 

Your Korean is great! How did you learn it by yourself? What makes you interested in the language? :P

 

Thanks :$ . I basically tried to use as many resources as I could find. Mainly I used a textbook and Talk to Me in Korean for grammar stuff, and I watched and listened to a lot of Korean entertainment (Kdramas, Kpop, variety shows, etc.) for listening practice.  Obviously, I couldn't really do conversation practice by myself xD  

 

I honestly don't know why I like Korean so much, but I've always thought it was an interesting language linguistically.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My first lenguage is Spanish. I'm trying to learn English but the education system in Spain is pretty crappy in that area, I mean people from Germany and the Nordics are practically bilingual while here I've seen people not knowing how to use the past simple at 18... So yeah basically I've learned English from being all day on the internet xD. I also took French classes for 3 years but that was 2 years ago, so j'ai ouvliè beaucoup de mots (je ne sais pas where the accent marks go but I can make this sentence a three lenguage one I'm so sorry if this is making anyone querer sacarse los ojos de la cara. 

On 16/06/2016 at 8:15 AM, DannyFenton123 said:

Hola, me llamo Danny. Soy Americano y quiero vivir en Australia.

(My Spanish is a little rustier)

 

On 16/06/2016 at 10:04 PM, Dodecahedron314 said:

Tomé cuatro años de Español en colegio(?) también, pero lo me olvidé mucho desde entonces, y es difícil tener dos idiomas extranjeros(?) en mi cabeza al mismo tiempo. 

 

Whew. That was harder than I expected. :$

Your Spanish is very good!!! 9_9

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I took Spanish for two years in KS3 after forgetting the hardly anything I'd learned in Junior School and all I remember now is: hola, no me gusta, me gusta, odio, perro, piqueño, lapiz, buenos dias, buenos tardes, buenos noches, Por favor, chorizo, pollo, paella.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18.6.2016 at 10:04 PM, Kojote said:

I am so sorry for our language guys. So so sorry D:" 

 

So my native tongue is german. I, unsurprisingly speak english, and I've tried for years to learn japanese. I wasn't even all bad, but circumstances always got in my way. Now I know a lot of words, the hiragana and the katakana writing system and the pronunciation, but I can't, for the life of me form proper sentences. TT__TT
It's my biggest regret.

'm german, too. And (obviously) speak english.

I started learning japanese too but didn't get very far because of school. However, I plan to pick it up again this summer since I'll have more time then~

Three of my siblings are learning japanese, so I'm kinda lucky and can probably ask them to help me form sentences, I'm pretty bad with grammar...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Nowhere.girl said:

My first lenguage is Spanish. I'm trying to learn English but the education system in Spain is pretty crappy in that area, I mean people from Germany and the Nordics are practically bilingual while here I've seen people not knowing how to use the past simple at 18... So yeah basically I've learned English from being all day on the internet xD. I also took French classes for 3 years but that was 2 years ago, so j'ai ouvliè beaucoup de mots (je ne sais pas where the accent marks go but I can make this sentence a three lenguage one I'm so sorry if this is making anyone querer sacarse los ojos de la cara. 

 

Your Spanish is very good!!! 9_9

 

Your english is far better than my spanish. I swear that I tried but our language education kind of falls short. I didn't start spanish classes until I was 11, and then we never have any reason to use it outside of class setting (it would be one thing if we did a pen pal type thing but our school doesn't allow it) so it never really sunk in. My claim to fame is once stuttering in a presentation and turning playas arenosos into playas arañosos. Needless to say, I'd rather not visit a spidery beach.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, XesEri said:

 

Your english is far better than my spanish. I swear that I tried but our language education kind of falls short. I didn't start spanish classes until I was 11, and then we never have any reason to use it outside of class setting (it would be one thing if we did a pen pal type thing but our school doesn't allow it) so it never really sunk in. My claim to fame is once stuttering in a presentation and turning playas arenosos into playas arañosos. Needless to say, I'd rather not visit a spidery beach.

Thank you! :3 And yes, spanish is a very complicated lenguage to learn and if the lenguage education is not good the subjet can become hell.. By the way I think you story about the spidery beach is hilarious 😂😂

16 hours ago, Louis Hypo said:

I took Spanish for two years in KS3 after forgetting the hardly anything I'd learned in Junior School and all I remember now is: hola, no me gusta, me gusta, odio, perro, piqueño, lapiz, buenos dias, buenos tardes, buenos noches, Por favor, chorizo, pollo, paella.

I swear I read the words in my mind in an english accent xD

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Norwegian, naturally since I'm from Norway.

English (duh...)

Danish and Swedish. Well somewhat. I can understand it well unless it's a hard dialect, then some concentration is needed. Speaking would sound horrible, but I could do it. Reading Danish is no problem since it's close to Norwegian. Reading Swedish is a bit trickier, but I had to use a couple Swedish books for my education and that went well. So I can read Swedish, but I would prefer Danish if Norwegian or English were unavailable.  

Teeny, tiny amounts of Japanese, thanks to anime/manga.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I only know a handful of Japanese words from anime. A splash of Spanish from high school. That is about it. 

 

Idatakimasu -thanks for the food/amen? 

Gochisosama - thanks for the food again, but said when your done eating or something.

Arigato - thank you

Teme/Omai - these always come up as bastard or asshole, but I am not sure what they mean. Because I have heard it said in regular scenarios. 

Chibi - shrimp/tiny. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am Spanish and I don't think that our English is worse than in Northern countries because its teaching is crappy, which is so, but because Spanish is a Romance language and English is a Germanic language, so native speakers of Germanic languages start at a level we can hardly reach. For instance, we wouldn't say the same if the international language were Portuguese.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My native language is Polish. The only foreign language which I speak fluently and read/watch original (e.g. non-graded level) content in is English. At various levels of my education I took lessons of German, Spanish, Italian and French, but only reached a tolerable level in Spanish and Italian.

Re Duolingo, I set up an account with a view to regaining what I'd forgotten in German (e.g almost all that I had learned), but then I figured out it doesn't make much sense and chose to focus on brushing up my Spanish.

Which leads me to a question:

Do you guys know of a website that would allow me to revise my grammar? DL is mostly geared towards vocab and the grammar exercises are scarce.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I make translations form english to german, so I like to think that I'm good at both of them (should be in the latter at least, seeing as it IS my native language). Other than that, I don't speak anything :\

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did a course in translation (Polish-English, English-Polish) and we were always told that a translator should know the other language well and their own language very well. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/16/2016 at 4:11 AM, Louis Hypo said:

J'aime manger du Poutine

 

Google Translate translated this as "I like eating Putin." :rofl:

 

J'ai appris le francais à l'école pour treize ans, mais je ne suis pas facile. Aussi, j'ai appris l'espanol pour un semestre.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apart from Swedish and English I know en peu du francais from school.

I have been trying to learn arabic (it's really the Spanish of Sweden nowdays) and I've actually learned all of the alphabet which is very helpful. It's an interesting language in many ways but I got kinda turned of by it being so gendered. It not just feminine and masculine words but also the word differs if the speaker is a man or woman. I'm thinking about just learning the masculine version and using that since that seems to be more of the default.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Native language is English, been learning Spanish for 11 years and still not fluent because the American education system failed me. Also studying Latin in school right now but it's slow going.

 

I know a very little bit of Italian thanks to my family (can't really speak it at all though), and I'm trying to learn Japanese.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My only language is English but I find other languages interesting.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Holmbo said:

Apart from Swedish and English I know en peu du francais from school.

I have been trying to learn arabic (it's really the Spanish of Sweden nowdays) and I've actually learned all of the alphabet which is very helpful. It's an interesting language in many ways but I got kinda turned of by it being so gendered. It not just feminine and masculine words but also the word differs if the speaker is a man or woman. I'm thinking about just learning the masculine version and using that since that seems to be more of the default.

Interestingly, in my native Polish verbs in past and future tenses have separate masculine and feminine endings so the Polish sentence "I went there" will sound slightly differently depending on whether it is said by a man or by a woman. This also means that on forums it's relatively easy to see if the poster is male of female (or at least to see who they identify themselves as). 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've tried (rather lazily) to teach myself Japanese before. I only did French in school, and Spanish in college (as part of an art course... I thought that was weird) but I don't remember much now. I hated French, anyway. I didn't understand what was going on, and the other pupils frigging trolled me when the teacher asked me anything :P 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a native Romanian speaker and I've been in constant contact with the English language for 11 years. I sat my CAE exam when I was 17. :) 

 

Ich kann auch Deutsch, da ich die Sprache seit ich 15 war studiere. Ich habe es sowohl in einem Fremdsprachenzentrum als auch auf eigene Faust, durch Bucherlesen, gelernt. Ich will meine Flussigkeit verbessern, denn ich kenne mich noch nicht so gut aus wie in Englisch. Im August nehme ich an einem internationalen Sommerdeutschkurs teil :).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am learning French. Duolingo can only help so much. Try getting an app that allows you to speak to natives. HelloTalk is a good one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I started learning German in high school, took private classes for a while when my college cancelled the classes, and nowadays I self-teach by listening to German radio, reading news articles, talking pidgin German with my friend from Cologne, that kind of thing. I feel for anyone that has to learn English from scratch because this is one crazy language.

 

My French is so terrible a baker in Paris once gave me several extra pastries for free when I mangled a request for a croissant. I think she was worried I'd starve if left to fend for myself.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went to French immersion from pre-K to grade 6. I'm rusty now, but I have decent French.

 

I have tried to learn far too many languages to list, but the biggies are Dutch, Japanese and ASL.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Je parle français un peu. (Je peut lire)

From that I can kinda read Spanish, Latin.

 

i once spontaneously interpreted "During the siege of Leningrad, we are cats" from Russian. 

 

I can sign some (ASL). DONT have any formal practice and don't know how well I can interpret, but I'll be going to school with a large deaf and HOH community so I'll be learning more!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...