Aromantic Moments

I think I was in 4th or 5th grade when Titanic came out and all the girls were obsessed with it.  My friends kept dragging me to see it while it was in theaters for way too long, and I remember all my friends talking about how it was so romantic that Jack gave up his spot (and life) on the floating wood to save Rose’s life.  But I distinctly remember being mad at Rose and Jack because to me it was simple, that piece of wood was certainly big enough to keep them both moderately floating until help arrived.  I thought Jack was stupid and Rose was selfish and uncaring.  If they really loved each other in any sort of way, even platonically, they would have tried to do what was best for both of them.  I realize now why my brain saw the problem in a logical way and not in the romantic light that my friends did. ?

• Like 7

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, The Angel of Eternity said:

Is it just me or are they insinuating that aro people are evil?!!!!

For how I see it, it is more the contrary : evil people are aromantic. Which is as stupid. Just because you're the bad guy doesn't mean you can't fall in love. It associates evilness and absent of romantic love.

I had an aromantic moment the other day at Mcdo. Sitting next to me, two people was trying to convice a girl that she had problems with her boyfriend, bit she didn't want to break up because they are together for there years and she loves him. They were talking about it before I arrive, and was just finishing when I left. At some point, I wanted to scream "you're clearly not happy with that guy, talk with him or break up, but LET ME ET IN SILENCE".

I really don't understand why people can't see what is obviously when they are in love.

• Like 7
  • Angry 2

On 7/11/2016 at 1:01 AM, Dodgypotato said:

Background: I visited Zema's house yesterday, and they drove me home. We hung out in my room a while afterwards before they left.

This morning:

Dad: "So, is he your boyfriend?"

Me: "... No. They're not even into women. They're asexual." (I'm closeted in all shapes and forms.)

Dad (thinking I was talking about myself?): *turns away* "That's bullshit. You like girls?"

Me: "No..? I said zema, and not into women."

Dad: "That's f-ing weird. Why're you mixing with him them?"

Me: ??????????????????????????????????????????????????

-5 minutes later, me in the other room with my cat trying to eat my hair-

*dad walks over to me*

Dad: "So what's this... Asexual?"

Me: "It means... You're not interested in anyone... In that way..." *awkwardly, kind of put on the spot*

Dad: "Bullshit."

Me: "What do you mean?"

Dad: "I've never heard of that. That's bullshit." (he really seems to like the world bullshit)

Me: "People can be attracted to the same gender, opposite, or both-" (my parents are too closed-minded to think there's more than 2 genders, I have to go along with it while I'm with them) "-, so why not none?"

Dad: "Whatever. I've never heard of it." *mutters some more*

Unless he's completely stupid, he's going to put 2 and 2 together and figure out that I'm asexual as well. Or at least 'think' I am, in his opinion.

Wow. Just because you've never heard of something doesn't give you the right to deny its existence. Open up your minds, people!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I was (am) wondering if I should tell my squish that we'll, I have a squish on him (I think he thinks I like him romantically and that would be a total MESS) so I searched for "I think my squish thinks I like him" and Google auto correct said "did you meant: "I think my crush thinks I like him" 

That was really disappointing.... 

On 4/3/2016 at 1:24 PM, deltaX said:

I think shipping can be fun sometimes, but before I recently realized that before I identified as aro, all my ships were people that I thought would make a good queerplatonic couple.  Shipping people in romantic or sexual ways always feels weird and foreign to me.

I like shipping (not in real life just TV shows) and reading romantic (no smut) fanfics but when it it's about imaginating and writing romance I'm AWFUL I simply can't imaginate it, it is foregein for me. ??‍♀️

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Kalina1528 said:

I like shipping (not in real life just TV shows) and reading romantic (no smut) fanfics but when it it's about imaginating and writing romance I'm AWFUL I simply can't imaginate it, it is foregein for me. ??‍♀️

Remind me when I first describe the crush of my hero and felt I was writing something cliché. I was sûre it doesn't exist in real life. Except it does. ?

• Like 3

Hello guys. Nice to meet you all!

I get so distressed even when SOMEONE ASSUMES I might like someone, or if that someone likes me in the romantic manner. I can’t even explain what exactly upsets me.

It is just something I can’t imagine myself to do or enjoy. And when someone else inserts me in a fantasy like this it irks me. I hope you guys understand the feeling, I tried my best to explain it.

Does anybody else feel that way?

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, ShySpider said:

Hello guys. Nice to meet you all!

I get so distressed even when SOMEONE ASSUMES I might like someone, or if that someone likes me in the romantic manner. I can’t even explain what exactly upsets me.

It is just something I can’t imagine myself to do or enjoy. And when someone else inserts me in a fantasy like this it irks me. I hope you guys understand the feeling, I tried my best to explain it.

Does anybody else feel that way?

I also feel that way except for the part of being upset, I don't get upset in any way when someone likes me I get... Nervous? I freak out ?

• Like 2

My sister got married a couple days ago and a few days before the wedding my sister, my mom and the groom's mom were preparing. Here's a little conversation that occurred:

My sister [to me]: Do you think you'll get married someday?

Me: No, I don't want to.

My sister: Are you being serious or are you just saying that?

Me: I'm serious.

My mom [to my sister]: He still has time to think about it.

I think what my mom said implied that I would come around to marry one day.

Edit:

Speaking of weddings and other formal family events, here's another situation that kind of irks me. I was dressed up for the wedding and people repeatedly told me I looked handsome. I do not like to be called handsome or good-looking. Does anyone else feel this way?

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I got so sick of all the love songs I’ve had to listen to at my work that I made a cleanse playlist of songs I actually relate to that are aro-sounding (and ace). Now I gotta listen to it every time I get off my shift

• Like 4

Guest Chandrakirti

I once got told that if you want to meet a partner, get a dog and go walking in a busy park...

Well I recent got a great little rescue guy and it makes me laugh how many guys are worried by a single woman dog walker....till they see me join up with the small group of similarly aged females that I walk with every day...

If only they all knew how not interested I am.

Someone once said to me 'only be doing what you're doing...most folk can only do one thing at a time'.

So- I'm only walking my dog!

On 5/14/2019 at 6:03 PM, The Angel of Eternity said:

My sister got married a couple days ago and a few days before the wedding my sister, my mom and the groom's mom were preparing. Here's a little conversation that occurred:

Edit:

Speaking of weddings and other formal family events, here's another situation that kind of irks me. I was dressed up for the wedding and people repeatedly told me I looked handsome. I do not like to be called handsome or good-looking. Does anyone else feel this way?

I like it when someone calls me cute or pretty but that's just when one of my friends say it, when its a guy it does make me feel awkward. I'm ace and aro but most of my friends and family still think its a phase so Ive been in positions like that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve been playing Stardew Valley for 5 in-game years and my character is still single with no plans to pursue any of the eligible villagers. Meanwhile it seems like everyone else playing the game considers marriage one of their main goals?? Please tell me there are some fellow aro Stardew Valley fans out there who are bothered by this

• 1 month later...

I like weddings as a celebration and cause I get the opportunity to spend time with friends and relatives and make new one (both friends and relatives haha). My sister got married last year, it was fun and cool, no-one annoyed me with questions. I liked the preparation, helping to choose a dress, a bouquet, a cake. Btw, sorry for the offtopic, this thing was really helpful for me https://www.poptop.uk.com/blog/wedding-bouquet-ideas-what-to-choose/. So, I like all this fuss, but being a bride? No thanks.

• Like 2

On 5/15/2019 at 12:03 AM, The Angel of Eternity said:

Edit:

That sounds like my mum, just with kids.

She insists I would be a great mum and everytime she meets one if my friends she asks if they're my SO and if I'm dating someone. I told her a couple of times I don't want kids but she's just like, you still have time and you'll change your mind eventually.

Also I'm 20, like I'm in uni and don't have any free time so great idea to have a kid.

• Angry 2

5 hours ago, Aliyiah said:

That sounds like my mum, just with kids.

She insists I would be a great mum and everytime she meets one if my friends she asks if they're my SO and if I'm dating someone. I told her a couple of times I don't want kids but she's just like, you still have time and you'll change your mind eventually.

Also I'm 20, like I'm in uni and don't have any free time so great idea to have a kid.

I would really hope that, if she sees you as a good mom, she isn't meaning "HAVE A CHILD RIGHT THIS MOMENT!!!"

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Sofitofi37 said:

I like weddings as a celebration and cause I get the opportunity to spend time with friends and relatives and make new one (both friends and relatives haha). My sister got married last year, it was fun and cool, no-one annoyed me with questions. I liked the preparation, helping to choose a dress, a bouquet, a cake. Btw, sorry for the offtopic, this thing was really helpful for me https://www.poptop.uk.com/blog/wedding-bouquet-ideas-what-to-choose/. So, I like all this fuss, but being a bride? No thanks.

Same. I like weddings, I like the dresses, the cakes, the familial reunion…. I don't want to marry, but I like this stuff.

• Like 2

On 8/12/2019 at 7:06 PM, The Angel of Eternity said:

I would really hope that, if she sees you as a good mom, she isn't meaning "HAVE A CHILD RIGHT THIS MOMENT!!!"

Not right now but she's going on about wanting to have grandkids some day ?

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I'm almost constantly aware that the people around me are very romantic. However.

However, I ended up meeting a bunch of cis straight boys in my transfer orientation week upon coming to college. (I also recently found out roommate was cis and straight, and it shouldn't have bummed me out more than it has. Very much the realization of like, I will Never be able to talk to you about any aspect of my identity without hundreds of questions.) There was this student organization... thing, via college and we all went. Or we met that motley crew there.

One of them asks for something to write on, and write with. I say why. He says, you'll see. He rips out a square from a paper plate. He writes his phone number on it. This, he says, flashing it to his friends, is how he's going to "pick up chicks."

I bailed so hard, not wanting to see the fallout.

Later with my roommate, I ask what he thought about it. We both agreed it was pretty cringe worthy. He talks about not having much experience but, and I'm just head in my hands. Very much "I just... don't care. I don't care about this. I'm just here. I'm just trying to be here I don't care about this at all."

• Like 4

5 hours ago, sunny said:

One of them asks for something to write on, and write with. I say why. He says, you'll see. He rips out a square from a paper plate. He writes his phone number on it. This, he says, flashing it to his friends, is how he's going to "pick up chicks."

lol, I'd take the piece of paper and tear it apart or fold a paper plane out of it, if I was in the mood, and make it fly. I'm always wondering how such cringy things (yeah, I see it that way too) work on others.
It's better for your health not to care.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

My sister: I want a boyfriend

My brother: I want a significant other

Me: what i want is a few good taters (Samwise Gamgee, LOTR) 

(≧▽≦)(≧▽≦)(≧▽≦)(≧▽≦)(≧▽≦)(≧▽≦)

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

The other day I was drinking coffee with a friend in a cute coffee bar. The waiter served our coffee and after he left my friend said 'I just fell a little bit in love with him'. I was so confused. The entire conversation my friend had with the waiter was 'one cappuccino please' and 'thank you'...?

Another example is that I never noticed if my friends were in love (like actual in love love, not 2 word exchange in love) and then at sleepovers or something they would tell about how they felt about their crush and my other friends would always say 'I knew it! I could already see it'. It was weird for me bc I am very sensitive and will always know how my friends feel, except for when they're in love. This is probably bc I do not feel romantic love and just don't 'receive' this information. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1