Aromantic Moments

14 hours ago, starstuff said:

I'm actually still terrified of this an adult because all those romance movies seem to imply that surprise kissing is a good thing.  I may actually punch someone's teeth out if they ever did that to me because I'd feel so violated.

I (personally) perceive kissing (on mouth) as something with sexual connotations. Like the borderline between sensual and sexual. Therefore, if a boy do that to me out of the blue without our having discussed the thing before I'd totally freak out. :-s 

• Like 2

On 4/2/2017 at 4:05 PM, Blair said:

Looking at a song title and thinking "maybe this song is not about romance..."

and being disappointed 45 seconds later

I had such high hopes for this song, and then nope.

23 hours ago, starstuff said:

I'm actually still terrified of this an adult because all those romance movies seem to imply that surprise kissing is a good thing.  I may actually punch someone's teeth out if they ever did that to me because I'd feel so violated.

Would they even have teeth left to punch out after that, though? I've never understood how this is supposed to work without one or both parties needing some serious dental work afterwards. Mashing one's face onto another person's face with reckless abandon and no warning seems like a surefire way to chip or lose some teeth, especially if the person tries to instinctively flinch/jerk away, as would be perfectly reasonable in this situation.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Dodecahedron314 said:

I had such high hopes for this song, and then nope.

Would they even have teeth left to punch out after that, though? I've never understood how this is supposed to work without one or both parties needing some serious dental work afterwards. Mashing one's face onto another person's face with reckless abandon and no warning seems like a surefire way to chip or lose some teeth, especially if the person tries to instinctively flinch/jerk away, as would be perfectly reasonable in this situation.

As someone who has been both kicked in the mouth and had my face repeatedly punched before, I can say that teeth are surprisingly strong.  My only chipped tooth was from a clumsy incident with a glass bottle and too much excited gesturing.

I think mashing faces could possibly result in chipped teeth, yes, but an intentional punch would do way more damage if you know what you're doing.  

(I am rereading this before posting and realizing I sound like I regularly go around punching people and would like to clarify that I have had 11 years of martial arts training and thus have been punched/kicked a lot and vice versa during training.   Not just like....out on the street by random people....)

• Like 6

On 2017-05-10 at 11:05 PM, starstuff said:

(I am rereading this before posting and realizing I sound like I regularly go around punching people and would like to clarify that I have had 11 years of martial arts training and thus have been punched/kicked a lot and vice versa during training.   Not just like....out on the street by random people....)

That was totally what I thought before I read the last part :D

• Like 3

On 2016-4-3 at 7:27 PM, Spud said:

A bunch of people are sitting and going "awwwww that's adorable" or "they're so cute" and I just sit there wondering why they're wasting their time kissing while they could be addressing the problem/plot

Like in films where people stop to make out/have sex/whatever while the world's ending or there's a battle or disaster or something. I'm so confused like "...aren't you worried about what's going on? Nope? Just me then.."

• Like 11

• 4 weeks later...

A fresh one: An admin from a fanpage I am also an admin on on fb is male and we are (sorta?) close and appearantly he has a gf. I don't really care about that and I was talking to him about what rules we would put on forum page since I edited a manga panel from a omake scene in an art book of the series for the "welcome to our forum" automated message thingy and he asked if I could make one for rules page too so we were talking about that. And then??? It is suddenly his gf talking??? She was "checking his accs" and it was "just for fun" not that she was "jealous" or "over controlling" or something. And I was just like ???? and then she went on to say that she would "make ambushes now and then" as if it is a normal and funny thing and my only reply was "okay?". Then she went on explaining and being pretty proud about how they met and all, while I just sat there going "??? Idc I am just trying to see what to edit on a page please let him return and shut up."

• Like 10

13 hours ago, ApeironStella said:

Oh, edited it out then. I do call things those kind of things or anything about humans weird, generally, not just when it comes to sexuality/romantic attraction.

People are weird.

But anyway, will be careful then.

I've deleted my post with regard to that. No reason to get the mods excited.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
20 hours ago, Bardock said:

When somebody tries working their charm on you, hoping you will flirt and return said feelings, and you don't care or even notice what they're doing:

tenor.gif

I found out the day I left my old job working at a diner that this one guy I used to chat with who came in to eat like 1 or 2 times a week for like 2 years was apparently flirting with me.  

He had left a present for me since it was my last day and I was like "Why, I barely know him???"   And my coworkers were like "...you do know he has a huge crush on you, right?  Like...everyone knew..."  and I freaked out and for awhile I avoided going back there during the times he generally stopped in for lunch.  

I thought we were just chatting about comics and nerdy things and stuff we both liked and that we were becoming friends....  Apparently not....

(I opened the present later and it was a painting he had done of a comic panel of Captain America kissing some girl with a note in french on the back that I haven't brought myself to translate.  I shoved it to the back of my closet cause I have no idea what to do with it and it freaks me out a bit when I see it (I think I'm a little romance replused...), but also I feel kinda bad about just throwing it out cause clearly he put effort into it..)

• Like 5

On 2017-08-31 at 5:15 PM, starstuff said:

I found out the day I left my old job working at a diner that this one guy I used to chat with who came in to eat like 1 or 2 times a week for like 2 years was apparently flirting with me.  

He had left a present for me since it was my last day and I was like "Why, I barely know him???"   And my coworkers were like "...you do know he has a huge crush on you, right?  Like...everyone knew..."  and I freaked out and for awhile I avoided going back there during the times he generally stopped in for lunch.  

I thought we were just chatting about comics and nerdy things and stuff we both liked and that we were becoming friends....  Apparently not....

(I opened the present later and it was a painting he had done of a comic panel of Captain America kissing some girl with a note in french on the back that I haven't brought myself to translate.  I shoved it to the back of my closet cause I have no idea what to do with it and it freaks me out a bit when I see it (I think I'm a little romance replused...), but also I feel kinda bad about just throwing it out cause clearly he put effort into it..)

It's always sad when someone you think might be a potential friend romozones you :(
It feels impersonal somehow. That maybe they talked to you only because of involuntary romantic urges rather than a conscious decision.

• Like 7
  • Angry 1

9 hours ago, Holmbo said:

It's always sad when someone you think might be a potential friend romozones you :(
It feels impersonal somehow. That maybe they talked to you only because of involuntary romantic urges rather than a conscious decision.

This. So much this. And knowing how messed up romantic relationships can get they might not even like you as a person without those involuntary romantic urges. 

• Like 6
  • Angry 1

13 hours ago, Ice Queen said:

So I went to the cinema with a friend of mine. During the film, the (female) main character said something along the lines: "So I kissed him...we shared the same space...the same breath..."

Me: and the same spit =))) 

But not "That was fun", "That was sexy", "That was intense" or "We should definitely do that again".

• Confused 3

I watched a movie and when one character started questioning the point of the romantic plot I may have yelled 'Exactly!" at the television. I sort of startled myself.....then continued doing sudoku until the action scenes. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

• 2 months later...
On 4/3/2016 at 2:13 PM, DannyFenton123 said:

Also, I find it annoying when I talk about shows I like and people immediately go to shipping. There's not an inherent problem with that and I know a lot of people like to do that, but there's a lot more to stuff than who likes who :ph34r:

i NEVER understood shipping. It was always so random and weird to me. I never associated that me being aro until now 

• Like 2

I used to think all my friends are crazy (I still do sometimes) about the things and behavior they'll deal with for the sake of romantic love. Or the the leaps and bounds they'd take to make someone like them; the changing of appearance, and behavior to win the romantic affection of another person. It always irritated me.

people joke about "Dump him" culture, but I am always 100% serious. 

• Like 9

On 8/30/2017 at 11:27 AM, Bardock said:

When somebody tries working their charm on you, hoping you will flirt and return said feelings, and you don't care or even notice what they're doing:

tenor.gif

I may have to keep that as an example.

okay so I'm definitely keeping it and also sending it to my parents because it's perfect

• Like 6

Not really an aromantic moment, but something funny (and pretty gross) that strongly outlines the difference between alloro's and aro's:

Was on the phone with my ex (still a friend), and he told me about how about three weeks after I moved out, he got sentimental over some hair he pulled out from the drain "because a part of you was still here". SENTIMENTALITY. OVER HAIR. I died laughing because that's just insane to me (but other alloro friends have admitted to having similar thoughts over equally crazy things). I guess it's an aromantic moment, because who gets sentimental and not grossed out over drain hair??? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 8
  • Confused 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That awkward moment when you've brought a friend to prom, but they like you as more than a friend and you're like okay, let's try this out. So a slow song comes on and you're there, swaying back and forth, squirming under the weight of extended eye contact. And then he starts leaning in slowly. And you're leaning out, slowly... Amazingly, he understands when you say you just want to be friends. And the next day you're like hmm I wonder if I'm aro :P

• Like 1