Aromantic Moments

On 08/02/2017 at 9:46 AM, Dodecahedron314 said:

My RH just decorated my dorm's common room with a bunch of super gaudy cutesy Valentine's Day stuff (she does this for every holiday, to be fair), and someone walked in and said delightedly, "Oh look, love is in the air!"

I immediately responded with "Oh god no, someone get the air freshener."

This reminds me of a Cyanide and Happiness short, where one clip was "love is in the air," the next, both characters are wearing gas masks :P

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

Years ago, someone was talking about a couple in the group. He said something like "I mean, I'm not jealous. I'm happy for them." That's when I realized that other people understood how they felt. Before that, I hadn't realized that EITHER of those reactions would be natural reactions to someone being in a relationship. I thought everyone was as confused about it as I was!

• Like 5

So I'm studying abroad in France right now, and on the first day of my French class I was so visibly uncomfortable with the idea of the cheek-kiss-greeting-thing that's apparently a thing that people do here that the professor called me out on it. Nice. -_-

• Like 1
  • Angry 2

17 hours ago, Dodecahedron314 said:

So I'm studying abroad in France right now, and on the first day of my French class I was so visibly uncomfortable with the idea of the cheek-kiss-greeting-thing that's apparently a thing that people do here that the professor called me out on it. Nice. -_-

Nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope... and did I mention nope. 

I am SO glad I don't live in a country (or even region, since it seems to be a thing in some regions of the US) where people greet each other with kisses. I realize it's not my place to judge their culture, but I wish people would ask before doing that. People in general should get consent before physical contact, unless they know the person and have already established that they like that type of physical contact. Also, it should be considered okay to decline physical contact, and not some social taboo. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Quinoa said:

Nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope... and did I mention nope. 

I am SO glad I don't live in a country (or even region, since it seems to be a thing in some regions of the US) where people greet each other with kisses. I realize it's not my place to judge their culture, but I wish people would ask before doing that. People in general should get consent before physical contact, unless they know the person and have already established that they like that type of physical contact. Also, it should be considered okay to decline physical contact, and not some social taboo. 

But that's just what everyone does. To them it's not really any different to refusing a handshake and you don't even make actual contact between the mouth and face, just cheeks.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Louis Hypo said:

But that's just what everyone does. To them it's not really any different to refusing a handshake and you don't even make actual contact between the mouth and face, just cheeks.

I guess maybe I could get used to it if I lived there... but as is, it's just too close to kissing for me. I'm still glad I don't live there. 

If you're born into that culture/live there for long enough I'm sure in most cases it becomes as natural as a handshake. If it's something that's been a part of your daily life for a long time, it wouldn't seem so romantically coded or uncomfortable.

I've lived in Switzerland (at various points in time from when I was 7) where they do this too (three kisses btw) and so for me it is quite normal and how you greet people that you know, and I've never felt like it was romantic or uncomfortable (beyond my usual social discomfort), but then I grew up with it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, techno-trashcan said:

If you're born into that culture/live there for long enough I'm sure in most cases it becomes as natural as a handshake. If it's something that's been a part of your daily life for a long time, it wouldn't seem so romantically coded or uncomfortable.

If I had grown up in one of those places, I can guarantee that I would not have taken it well. It's just way too intimate for me.

• Like 3

On 28 March 2017 at 0:17 PM, Louis Hypo said:

Note to self: Don't ever go to France... it's not even about it being 'intimate'... the sensation of a human mouth on my face is just klndflknsdf ewwwww nope. Kind of like being licked by a dog... just less wet. My extreme aversion to anything that remotely resembles makeup adds to this problem quite a bit too... This is probably not an aro thing though. :P 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, techno-trashcan said:

True. I've known that's standard in France since I was little so it doesn't phase me. Although if it happened in Quebec I'd find it weird because it's very métropolitain (France French).

7 hours ago, SoulWolf said:

Note to self: Don't ever go to France... it's not even about it being 'intimate'... the sensation of a human mouth on my face is just klndflknsdf ewwwww nope. Kind of like being licked by a dog... just less wet. My extreme aversion to anything that remotely resembles makeup adds to this problem quite a bit too... This is probably not an aro thing though. :P 

Same. I remember as a little kid, telling my mother to never kiss me again because I didn't like it. 

• Like 3

On 02/04/2017 at 10:05 PM, Blair said:

Looking at a song title and thinking "maybe this song is not about romance..."

and being disappointed 45 seconds later

This was basically my reaction when I listened to Idina Menzel's 2008 album on Youtube.

• Like 2

On 4/2/2017 at 7:05 AM, Blair said:

Looking at a song title and thinking "maybe this song is not about romance..."

and being disappointed 45 seconds later

They're all not about romance if you're clueless enough xD

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

On 4/3/2016 at 1:29 PM, 46odnetnin said:

And when they do stupid, stupid things "in the name of love". It drives me up the wall. I have had to study romeo and juliet 3 times and every time I get so annoyed at the plot.

Sorry to comment on a post from over a year ago, but I discovered I'm too into Baz Luhrmann, as all I can think of right now is various scenes in Romeo+Juliet and Ewan McGregor's singing in Moulin Rouge.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2016 at 11:22 AM, Vega said:

Every time I see a cheesy, cliche, or badly written love story in movies and am torn between constant facepalming and trying not to fall asleep. And then some of my alloromantic friends keep going on about how cute the story is and I am just so confused sometimes. :P

One time in 6th grade at a sleepover we ended up watching the notebook and all the other girls were crying and so invested in the movie and I just sat in the middle bored out of my skull with the box of tissues in my lap handing them out to everybody the whole time until the movie was finally over.  Should have known then, lol.

On 2/1/2017 at 4:47 PM, SoulWolf said:

My friend: "What are you going to do for Valentine's day?"

Me: "Go to the dentist."

Buy up all the super cheap candy the day after.

• Like 2

On 7/6/2016 at 0:19 PM, Simowl said:

Does anyone else feel bad hanging out with their friends' crushes? A lot of people seem to get worried that people are "stealing" their crush if someone else is talking to them.. And I know my friend's got a crush on this guy so it almost feels like I can't talk to him much (especially when she's around).. I dunno, it's usually in the back of my mind when I'm talking to someone my friend has a crush on. Obviously I know I just want to be friends but so many people don't see that..

Fortunately my friends are super cool about it and two of them are engaged so I've been the platonic third wheel out with them to fancy dinners and have had dinner out with just the guy and no one thinks anything of it because they all know I'm 0% interested lol.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was 4 or 5 years old, can't remember exactly. There was this song which was pretty popular back then. The TV was on and they were playing it on my favourite music channel. I heard that line in the chorus which said "find some room for me in your heart". 

Me (utterly confused): but she can't fit in there! the heart is just about the size of one's fist, she's way too big!

Edited by Queen of Spades
  • Like 5
  • Haha 3

I was 7 or 8. A classmate had a crush on a boy who was in my class, too. She would grab him and kiss his cheek and stuff. I could read on his face he wasn't enjoying it. Me (horrified): noooooo, leave him alone! :((((

• Like 1
  • Angry 2

Realizing that people actually tend to think of a specific somebody when they listen to romantic love songs...

I was always thinking about how the lyrics made no sense and ruined the great melody

• Like 3

On 5/3/2017 at 3:25 PM, Ice Queen said:

I was 7 or 8. A classmate had a crush on a boy who was in my class, too. She would grab him and kiss his cheek and stuff. I could read on his face he wasn't enjoying it. Me (horrified): noooooo, leave him alone! :((((

I'm actually still terrified of this an adult because all those romance movies seem to imply that surprise kissing is a good thing.  I may actually punch someone's teeth out if they ever did that to me because I'd feel so violated.

• Like 8