Aromantic Moments

I think it's because 'the outsider sees most of the game,' as I would put it. I have had relationship experience, though my romantic feelings are all over the map and usually not that strong anyway, but it's definitely more difficult to see what's going on from a logical viewpoint when you are in one. Pesky hormones etc! I have had to give a little advice to my best friend before, but she's been in the same relationship since I met her and it's pretty stable. 

• Like 4

Off topic - Is your avatar of Squall from FF8? He's my favourite Final Fantasy character ever!

On topic - (also from slightly younger days of mine) some guy sitting on the pub steps with friends flirting with me as I walked past, asking if I "dig him". I just said no and scuttled off quickly :P 

Back when I was in dental school, one of my patients was a 30 year old surgeon who came in complaining of a dislodged filling.

Unlike private practices where patients fill out a form while in the waiting area, dental students had to fill them out themselves by interviewing the patients as part of their training

Anyways, when I got to the marital status question, he said that he was single, right as a colleague of mine (who was side-eyeing us from afar) walked past and she heard it

After he left she ran right up to me, grabbed me by the shoulders and said that I'd "make an ass of myself if I let that one go!"

She said that so vehemently that everyone in the clinic turned around and listened in, which caused the gossip and rumors to spread to the other female students (they even joked about how I secretly asked if he was single and used the form as a prop smh)

My reaction to all of this was pretty blank lol and it confused them all so much

Luckily for me, he never showed up for his second appointment, so that was the end of that! 9_9

• Like 9

This happened during a discussion with another person about my friend trying to find fanart of her favorite character for her phone wallpaper.

Me: "I mean, I became fandom trash for half a dozen things this summer, and I don't have fanart for any of my wallpapers." 

Person: "Well, when you have lots of fandoms, you can't pick just one, you know? It's like, this ship from this thing is amazing, but I also really love this ship from another thing, but this is just the cutest fanart of this ship from this other thing! Like that, you know?"

Me: "...No, actually I don't. :eyebrow: "

...Instance #42959268 of people having far different fandom priorities than I do.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Dodecahedron314 said:

This happened during a discussion with another person about my friend trying to find fanart of her favorite character for her phone wallpaper.

Me: "I mean, I became fandom trash for half a dozen things this summer, and I don't have fanart for any of my wallpapers." 

Person: "Well, when you have lots of fandoms, you can't pick just one, you know? It's like, this ship from this thing is amazing, but I also really love this ship from another thing, but this is just the cutest fanart of this ship from this other thing! Like that, you know?"

Me: "...No, actually I don't. :eyebrow: "

...Instance #42959268 of people having far different fandom priorities than I do.

I get that so much. Also in one of my favuorite cartoons two best friends are getting together and I'm screaming internally. WHYYYYYYY :( 

• Like 3

Lol, cos everyone's got time to make out and do lovey dovey stuff when they're being chased by undead creatures hungry for flesh and brains. That's something I liked about Shaun of the Dead, there was a romance there but it pretty much took a back seat. And the fast driving scenes were a bonus, in my book.

• Like 1

I'm reading through a webcomic I found and it's a good read and stuff but... like, half the plots are romantic plots, and what's worse if a boy and a girl so much as glance at each other that makes them in a relationship. it's really annoying, and I don't even understand.... 

• Like 6

Ah yes, looks like it's time for another episode of Dodec's Adventures in Being Extremely Aro Fandom Trash--this time, it's the Sherlock edition, because the friend who made me trash for it in the first place insisted on getting me caught up before Series 4 happens in January.

Because of how my romance repulsion is really inconsistent with what sets it off and when, I occasionally just kind of forget about it, until something like (S2E2 and S3E3 spoilers)

Spoiler

my realization that I was actually many orders of magnitude more uncomfortable with Sherlock's faked "relationship" with Magnussen's personal assistant in His Last Vow than with Irene Adler's flat-out nudity and purposeful oversexualization in A Scandal In Belgravia, despite being both romance-repulsed and sex-repulsed

happens and I go "wow, yep, romance repulsion is still...very much a thing for me...okay showrunners can you stop now?!?".

Speaking of inconsistency, (S3E2 spoilers)

Spoiler

even though I'm usually just massively uncomfortable with the entire concept of weddings, somehow I didn't have a problem with The Sign of Three, possibly because I was too busy being continually amazed at how accurately Sherlock was demonstrating exactly what would happen if anyone ever made the mistake of inviting me to a wedding. :rofl:

And for one that doesn't involve spoilers, I think I may have reached peak aro when one of my friends mentioned how angry their homophobic mom was when she found out that they drew Johnlock fanart, and I was extremely confused for the several hours it took me to realize that those syllables referred to the John/Sherlock ship, Johnlock, rather than the Enlightenment philosopher, John Locke. :facepalm:

• Like 5

stumbled upon a vid titled "the perfect anime" and mildly curious checked it out. the intro, the guy convinces me about how most people have an anime which they've seen and something about it really connects for them, and how despite possible flaws to them they just find it to be wonderful. he says these are, for that person, the perfect anime, and I'm like, ok yeah! I get that.

then he stays he's found one for him, and I'm getting kinda interested like, curious, I wonder what the anime is like. and he starts describing it, about how it's a film about star cross lovers who learn about each other vicariously and how it's about the dreamlike quality of adolescent fancy.  and I'm like, "lol sounds horrid!"

• Like 5

So I contacted a long-lost friend on Facebook to ask how she's doing, and she says she's leaving her husband and starting over... and I'm sitting here Googling for things to say to someone in that kind of situation, because I don't have the faintest clue. All I can do is copy/paste.  :rofl:

• Like 6

3 hours ago, SoulWolf said:

So I contacted a long-lost friend on Facebook to ask how she's doing, and she says she's leaving her husband and starting over... and I'm sitting here Googling for things to say to someone in that kind of situation, because I don't have the faintest clue. All I can do is copy/paste.  :rofl:

In that situation, I just ask if there's anything I can do to help, and that I'm here for the person if they need to rant or anything.

• Like 6

I went with something like "I don't think there's anything I can do to help, but if I can, let me know"... 'cause I really can't help or understand. And deep down I don't reaaaallllyyy actually want to deal with rants of that kind of nature... :/

• Like 2

17 hours ago, SoulWolf said:

This happened when my then-roommate broke up with her longtime boyfriend last summer. I maintained a blank expression for a few seconds, realized I was supposed to react to the news in some way, and then awkwardly offered to buy her junk food from the vending machine downstairs. She laughed a little and said "You're being very Sheldon right now."

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Louis Hypo said:

(en Français) "A life without love is like a year without summer,"

...fuck off

Well if you live in England, you're lucky if you get a summer in any given year anyway lmao so it doesn't make much difference to me, figuratively (and real lifely) speaking.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Louis Hypo said:

(en Français) "A life without love is like a year without summer,"

...fuck off

I absolutely hate summer, so honestly I'm fine with this arrangement. Call me strange, but I hate anything involving 85F+ weather and 90% humidity. I'll take my -25F winter over that any day.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Zemaddog said:
1 hour ago, aussiekirkland said:

Anything over 20C is death for me, so that's fine by me!

And you call yourself an aussie... 

I am disappointed. 

As someone who lived in Arizona for most of their life and still can't handle anything above 75F when it's more than ~40% humidity out, I can confirm that being from a desert wasteland does not automatically grant you any amount of tolerance for hot weather. And if you question my Arizonanness, I will sic my cactus on you. 

• Like 6