Shipping

On 1/4/2018 at 2:53 PM, techno-trashcan said:

NoTP?

I can answer that. NoTP is a piece of fandom slang.  It's derived from fandom term "OTP" which stands for "One True Pairing", meaning the one romantic pairing the specific fan likes over any other pairing. NoTP, in that context means the opposite-a pairing that the fan will never ever support. Another derivative is BrOTP, for platonic pairs. Does this help?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, techno-trashcan said:

@mythlady Ah, I know what it is! I was answering someone else who asked if there was a word for the opposite of shipping, but I guess I didn't tag them! My bad, thanks for the explanation anyway!

I guess I should have read the thread more carefully! Oh well, at least the explanation's up now, that's something at least...

This is interesting topics. I love to ship characters in fiction stories/movies especially if they have chemistry but it's strictly to gay (male) couple, not interested if it's hetero couple. Bromance is awesome, but relationship more than that is also awesome. I don't like shipping real people or fanfic based on real people. Romantic movie/story is a big no. I never find it interesting and i also hate it when characters (hetero) supposed to be best friends suddenly became an OTP. Like why? I hate it, why can't they just be friends. Lol.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 2018-03-23 at 5:47 PM, mythlady said:

I guess I should have read the thread more carefully! Oh well, at least the explanation's up now, that's something at least...

I had use for it :)

• Like 1

Ah what an interesting topic. I'm very into shipping but I guess it depends on a few factors. For example, I don't ever really ship characters in a book but I always ship anime characters. My ships are generally all over the place too, some straight, some gay, some bromances/platonic. I'm not necessarily romance repulsed so I don't really hate canon ships but I usually find them bland or generic. I do have a quite few anti-ships or NoTPs, one in particular that makes me grind my teeth if I even think about it. Sorry for all the fandom slang I'll explain if I need to.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cee Fox said:

Ah what an interesting topic. I'm very into shipping but I guess it depends on a few factors. For example, I don't ever really ship characters in a book but I always ship anime characters. My ships are generally all over the place too, some straight, some gay, some bromances/platonic. I'm not necessarily romance repulsed so I don't really hate canon ships but I usually find them bland or generic. I do have a quite few anti-ships or NoTPs, one in particular that makes me grind my teeth if I even think about it. Sorry for all the fandom slang I'll explain if I need to.

no need ;)  i have lots of anime ships, myself, as well as other characters and celebrities.  the relationships i imagine for them are the sort i wouldn't mind myself: platonic and/or sexual.  i definitely have brotps.  i'm not really against the notion of romantic elements in and of themselves; it just doesn't add anything for me, and often in fiction and especially fanfic, the way they're handled does detract from my enjoyment of the ship and story, for two reasons: the one you gave, and also that i'm fairly romance-repulsed.  i'll admit that i ship some m/m pairings in a purely sexual context just because i find it attractive, but the ships in which i'm more invested tend to have, for lack of a better word, more to them (canon or not).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have a ship right now that I kind of feel dirty about. It is fictional characters from a tv show/book and technically it started in cannon, so it fits my general requirements for a ship. However it feels just so wrong to ship anything from The Handmaid's Tale. It doesn't help that f/f sexual/romantic relationships are so not my thing, which sort of seems to make any m/f ship in that fandom seem more exploitative. Maybe that is part of the allure for me, the well written non-fluff fanfics at least, make it a tangled illicit powerplay as well as a shipped relationship. 

I have shipped people in real life, but it was more "yeah, they'd make a great couple, but in fact I don't really care, they do what they want with thier life". But it was alway people that I knew. I don't understand how people can ship singers or actors for instance (like when everybody start shipping Zendaya and Zac Efron after The Greatest Showman; I was wondering why their fans don't let them live their life alone, or why they just care about that; no, I never get obsessed for a singer or an actor  ? ).

However, I sometimes ship in fiction, though I'm not obsessed by it (one day I say it was a bad idea to make two characters date, and I was agressed by angry youtube comments, and the two characters only exchanged something like six words and were looking at each other on the promo photo; if someone can tell me how people can get sensitive about their ship this fast, you wil enligthen my whole life).

I also think that being aro make me ship people differently. I remember that in the Originals, I ship Klaus and Camille, but at the same time at didn't want to see them become a couple because it would have destroyed what they have; or maybe at the end of the show. I saw the romance at the end of their relation rather than the begining. At the time I was confused; now that I know about aromanticism and QPR, I understand that I shipped them planotically, and that I was scared that the romantic couple destroyed their platonic relation.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that my attitude to shipping is very much influenced by my attitude to romance in general. I have never had an OTP. I'm most interested in fics where the characters struggle with identity differences and find a way to be together regardless, on their own terms. I absolutely do not subscribe to the idea that any character is meant to be with another character, ever.

• 2 weeks later...

It took until recently for me to hear the term shipping--these days my 12 yo daughter ships everybody, ha. (It's funny, what opposites we are when it comes to romance. Best example of this when she wanted to buy an antique key to give a boy she liked and tell him it was the key to her heart; I was a bit repulsed but didn't want to discount her feelings so I told her that it was a sweet gesture :/ ) Honestly I didn't even get what it was for awhile, which makes sense because I don't really do it. I find myself bored with fiction that is romantic, especially those where a perfectly fine friendship has to turn into something "more." I don't ship people in real life either though I do try to be mindful of respecting my friends' romantic relationships. I am a crappy romo cheerleader though.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2018 at 9:38 AM, Apathetic Echidna said:

Maybe that is part of the allure for me, the well written non-fluff fanfics at least, make it a tangled illicit powerplay as well as a shipped relationship. 

I missed this earlier but ??? 

I'm not really into the Handmaid's Tale fandom, but this is definitely the sort of trainwreck that I'm into in most fictional contexts. Have you seen this Lin Manuel-Miranda quote? It definitely gets across the idea of wanting to vicariously try things in fiction that would make you uncomfortable in real life:

"I find that, for me, the work is a safe place to put all the stuff you don’t want to put in your real life. ... I don’t want to have an affair. I don’t want to have a fucking gunfight. But! There’s a part of your brain that wants to experience everything, and so work’s a safe place to explore it all. Both in the writing and in the performing. I get to write about an affair. I get to have the guilt and the feeling of that without having to fuck my life up. [laughs]

"Art is the place to safely explore all those other sides of you, because the side you want to bring home is the side that wants to be a good father and be a good husband and be a good son. In art we can be fucking nuts."

• Like 4

@eatingcroutons I got into the fandom to read character studies of Serena Joy because I didn't get her in the show so I wanted to find some other perspectives of her. Well, those were intense and crazy. I sort of love fanfics that draw out a disastrous personality or scenario, its like watching a train wreck in slow motion.  

I hadn't seen that quote before but I remember a similar one from a scriptwriter (I'm terrible at remembering names). I'll have to see if I can find it again. I completely agree with the last two lines, which is why I am all for no censorship in art. People should be able to get stuff out so they can be better in life. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I mainly ship fictional characters in queer platonic relationships.

For now I have :

- Sherlock/Watson, a classic.

- Joey/Phoebe (Friends). They are soooo cute together, I love them.

- Carson/Hughes (Downton Abbey). I love when they spend time together talking about their day.

- Howard/Raj (The Big Bang Theory)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/12/2017 at 10:21 PM, IceHurricane said:

I'm a huge shipper!!

I can ship literally anything. Seriously, you should see my ship list, it's neverending. I spend all my free time reading fanfiction of all different ships. I'm not joking. This past month I've been jobless and I've done nothing but eat, sleep, and read fanfiction. It's unhealthy. I'm currently reading 13 fics right now. I love reading about two (or more!!!) people falling in love. I assume it's because I can't experience it myself, but really who knows the reason? It makes me happy tho so I don't question. Like, really happy. I get this warm feeling in my chest and I'm all smiles whenever I read it and I'd imagine this is what love feels like. I love love. 

This makes so much sense to me, I love fanfiction and romance and all that and I think I like it in theory but not for me. For a long time I thought that loving romance meant that I wasn't aro and I just needed my own love story but I was wrong. It is really nice to see someone else who feels the same way. Thank you

• Like 2

I never really got why you should ship two fictional characters. If they have a relationship it's lucky for them but I only really care about the main plot.

In real life I wouldn't like it if somebody shipped me so I don't do it myself (not to menting that I'm way to less empathic to actually know if some people would fit together). I also think it would be kind of an invasion of their privacy and free will.

5 hours ago, Tagor said:

I never really got why you should ship two fictional characters. If they have a relationship it's lucky for them but I only really care about the main plot.

Yeah. And the most confusing are people who watch the show only for a ship (well, sometimes I understand because the plot is a mess, but sometimes, the plot is so interesting, and people only talk about their ship and complain if it wasn't there enough).

• 2 weeks later...

In fiction, I ship characters that make some sense according to canon. That being said, if I am reading fan fiction and there is a clear ship, I tend to prefer either fluffy stuff or angsty stuff in which the ship can be considered pretty much queer-platonic. I don't mind relationships at a plot device, but I don't like it when it ends up being "romantic love fixes everything," or worse, "sex fixes everything." I'm not romance-repulsed (just sex-repulsed), so I suppose it might be a bit different for me. As long as it isn't the main fixture in something, I don't really mind.

Real life? That's cringe-worthy, especially between people you don't even know. I mean, if my friends are dating and the person they are dating makes them happy, then I'll be supportive...if that counts as shipping.

On 6/22/2018 at 2:49 AM, Apathetic Echidna said:

@eatingcroutons I got into the fandom to read character studies of Serena Joy because I didn't get her in the show so I wanted to find some other perspectives of her. Well, those were intense and crazy. I sort of love fanfics that draw out a disastrous personality or scenario, its like watching a train wreck in slow motion.  

So I'm now caught up on The Handmaid's Tale and woooow I am now super fascinated by Serena as a character. It took her a long while to grow on me, but I'm loving the direction her character has been heading in.

And yes, absolutely agreed! I get bored to death by fluffy meetcutes and curtainfic - I'm most interested in how characters deal with conflict and trauma and Things Going Wrong. I much prefer to read about complicated relationships than happy ones.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/18/2018 at 1:21 AM, eatingcroutons said:

So I'm now caught up on The Handmaid's Tale and woooow I am now super fascinated by Serena as a character. It took her a long while to grow on me, but I'm loving the direction her character has been heading in.

She was the most confusing character for me but towards the end of season 2, wow, she can surprise. I seriously didn't presume to think she would even contemplate acting the way she did in the last few episodes. The work that 'cracked' pre-birth Serena for me was this one https://archiveofourown.org/works/13806678 but once the baby was there things definitely shifted with all the female characters. I sort of friendship-ship Serena and June but I know that all the earlier feelings will arise again now the baby is no longer between them as a bond. 

Though watching all the series 2 season final has forced me to re-evaluate other mother characters, specifically the characters in Grimm. I always thought they were a bit off or shallow but now I can't stand Adalind and I have no time for people who ship her. So one show has tainted me for another show with less believable characters and made me intolerant of it's shippers! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

That’s a really interesting question. As i am a huge shipper i will tell my point of view: i rarely ship canon ships because they are obviously boring, no originals and i often dislike one of the two characters. I ship people on the sexual chemistry i (like to) see as i am aro and (i think) not ace. I can also ship people in the queerplatonique non sexual relationships and exclusive way as John and Sherlock in Sherlock but without Mary. Or actually with Mary but she has the same kind of « bond » with Sherlock and John. 

I can also ship these relationships but sexually like in Flash with Barry Allen and Leonard Snart (with or without Iris).

I don’t mind romantique relationships (i can even be really into them) if they’re is sex, something forbidden and/or really strong intimacy (they know/learn each other by heart).

If it’s only for the sexual part i’m okay with everything but i am extremely picky on the ship. Otherwise i like fics for a lot of different reasons ofc.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I ship a lot, but it's important for me to have reasonable ships and not just be like "oh yeah these characters exchanged five sentences and didn't kill each other they are meant to be forever" which I think comes from being aro because I don't feel the need to find a ship for everybody or think all the characters need to date to be happy. I don't ship sexually, I'm ace and I find it boring. I have a few romantic ships. Most of them are canon. I have a bunch of platonic ships, most of them are canon but as romantic ships and one platonic ship are friends in the books and a super popular fanon romantic ship. I think I have a lot of platonic ships compared to romantic people because as aro I don't see every meaningful relationship as romantic. And for some unknown reason, I find slash ships cuter than any other ships.

It's hard for me to see and understand romantic attraction, and most things people see as romantic ships I see as platonic ships or friendships. I have two romantic ships that I can think of right now, and a bunch of more ships who are canon as romantic but I don't see the romantic attraction or chemistry between them and ship as platonic ships.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Romantic:

Eeeeh, no. Not really, I’m not romantic in real life, so it’s hard to imagine any fictional characters in a relationship. 

Platonic:

YES! Definitely, I ship platonically all the time.

Yeah, I’m so original. But it’s true.

• Like 1