Shipping

• 7 months later...

I just mentioned this in some other topic, but I am all about posting everywhere so......

In real live I never ship anyone, if anything I anti-ship (is that even a thing?) 

In fiction it generally has to be at least hinted at in canon, otherwise I think the characters are better off without romance. Generally I like angst ridden fix-its that don't get fluffy, generally because I like one character and I want them to be happy in any way possible. 

I don't seem to ship QPRs unless they are another form that the fix-it story takes. 

I'm a huge shipper!!

I can ship literally anything. Seriously, you should see my ship list, it's neverending. I spend all my free time reading fanfiction of all different ships. I'm not joking. This past month I've been jobless and I've done nothing but eat, sleep, and read fanfiction. It's unhealthy. I'm currently reading 13 fics right now. I love reading about two (or more!!!) people falling in love. I assume it's because I can't experience it myself, but really who knows the reason? It makes me happy tho so I don't question. Like, really happy. I get this warm feeling in my chest and I'm all smiles whenever I read it and I'd imagine this is what love feels like. I love love. 

B U T

Even though I'm obsessed with shipping and I read fanfics all day, I HATE when ships become canon in the actual show/book/movie. Shipping should only be a fanon thing. I can't stand it when there's unnecessary romance in shows and books. Like, if I wanted to watch two people getting together, I'd watch a romance novel. And this isn't it. I'm here to watch people kick ass not drama and love triangles. And this is how ship wars happen and division in fandom. I'd rather no ship become canon (because the show's not about that) than having one win and make half the fandom upset. No matter how much I ship someone in fanon, I would never want to see them together in canon. Ever. It's happened a lot, and I feel it just ruins the ship. For example, I loved Emma and Hook from Once Upon a Time but once they actually got together, I grew tired of them. I started to hate the pairing. Part of the fun of shipping is the endless possibilities there are for your pair. There are many different ways they can meet and share their first kiss and all that stuff. Once you see it on screen/paper, it's final. It limits you. And sometimes no matter how budgeted your film or book is, your imagination will always be greater when seeing your pairing together. 

Sorry for the long post. I'm really passionate about shipping. :arolove::arolove::arolove:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, IceHurricane said:

I'm currently reading 13 fics right now

are they all of different ships? O.o

that is crazy! ......although at the height of my shipping fever a few months ago I was reading 21+ fanfics in a weekend, all the same ship though so my brain wasn't too taxed. 

17 minutes ago, Apathetic Echidna said:

are they all of different ships? O.o

that is crazy! ......although at the height of my shipping fever a few months ago I was reading 21+ fanfics in a weekend, all the same ship though so my brain wasn't too taxed. 

Not all different, but mostly yes. I'm reading 2 or 3 fics of certain pairings but no more than that. 

I try to only read 2 at a time but I keep thinking about more fics I want to read and I can't focus on the fics I'm currently reading until I get my fix from the new one then I can go back to the old ones and before I know it I'm reading 10+ fics all at once :facepalm: :P

@IceHurricane you have a crazy paralleled mind to be able to hold that many things straight. I think my limit is about 13 or so, but that was at school and counting text books and required readings along with my personal pleasure reading interests. 

Just for interest, what ships are you reading now -or maybe just tell me the fandoms. Are they similar or are they very different? I would think different would be easier to keep straight....

I have basically out-read my recent ship, so I may start seeking new work :P though I am basically in love with a couple of writers and will follow them to their new fandoms rather than part with their writing styles. 

5 minutes ago, Apathetic Echidna said:

@IceHurricane you have a crazy paralleled mind to be able to hold that many things straight. I think my limit is about 13 or so, but that was at school and counting text books and required readings along with my personal pleasure reading interests. 

Just for interest, what ships are you reading now -or maybe just tell me the fandoms. Are they similar or are they very different? I would think different would be easier to keep straight....

I have basically out-read my recent ship, so I may start seeking new work :P though I am basically in love with a couple of writers and will follow them to their new fandoms rather than part with their writing styles. 

Haha yeah, you're right. It's easier to read multiple fics when they're all different fandoms and pairings whereas if you read a bunch from the same ship/fandom they'll all start to blur together and you don't remember what happened in which fic and it's a disaster. :facepalm: 

And sure! 

Sasuke/Sakura

Naruto/Sasuke

Neji/Hinata

Draco/Harry

Sam/Dean

Steve/Bucky/Darcy

Clarke/Lexa

L/Light

Judy/Nick

The last show I watched was Naruto which is why most of them are from that fandom. 

14 minutes ago, IceHurricane said:

L/Light

for some reason I imagine this would be one long abuse-fest....and the ship I have been neck deep in was Credence/Mr. Graves! (woot to any other Gradence/Gravebone followers!) and yeah, there was some bluring, but at least I could generally keep the authors straight, I just blurred all the fics they wrote....unless they were particularly epic. 

One of my friends was into Naruto shipping and there are some pretty epic love triangles to octagons that were created in fanfic, but I find I can't add to ships. A triangle is about the limit. Even in canon, the more people in the love bubble the less interested I am, which has led to me dropping some book series permanently.  

Harry/Draco has so much stuff to read or see, that ship will never die out! some of the memes, and especially 'Harry Potter - Oh, you touch my tralala' will always be entombed in my mind with fondness. I remember a year in high school where that clip would be mentioned every 20 minutes. 

Yay! my 100th post!

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017-09-13 at 5:21 AM, IceHurricane said:

Even though I'm obsessed with shipping and I read fanfics all day, I HATE when ships become canon in the actual show/book/movie. Shipping should only be a fanon thing. I can't stand it when there's unnecessary romance in shows and books. Like, if I wanted to watch two people getting together, I'd watch a romance novel. And this isn't it. I'm here to watch people kick ass not drama and love triangles. And this is how ship wars happen and division in fandom. I'd rather no ship become canon (because the show's not about that) than having one win and make half the fandom upset. No matter how much I ship someone in fanon, I would never want to see them together in canon. Ever. It's happened a lot, and I feel it just ruins the ship. For example, I loved Emma and Hook from Once Upon a Time but once they actually got together, I grew tired of them. I started to hate the pairing. Part of the fun of shipping is the endless possibilities there are for your pair. There are many different ways they can meet and share their first kiss and all that stuff. Once you see it on screen/paper, it's final. It limits you. And sometimes no matter how budgeted your film or book is, your imagination will always be greater when seeing your pairing together.

That's an interesting take on it. I can why someone might feel this way. I feel a bit similar in that I enjoy the shipping as a fandom activity, separated from the actual show. I don't read fanfics but I enjoy reading peoples arguments for an against peoples pairing. Because mostly it all comes down to how they see them as characters and what people they'd connect with. Also I like the silly shipping like these two are pretty and should kiss. It's fun.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

i ship in the sense that i imagine the sort of relationships for characters or people which i would want: platonic and sexual.  my friend actually asked me this, if i was aro, why did i ship people?  and that's my answer: they seem great together, in a non-romantic way.  maybe a romantic way too, i can't tell, doesn't matter.  my otp is phan (dan and phil).  before even getting into sexual or romantic possibilities, their friendship is incredible and it's clear that they love each other very much.  it's beautiful.  and yeah, ok, sometimes i ship people in a purely sexual way.  i'm a fujoshi, i see two hot guys (or more--i'm poly) and brain goes "picture this...".  i realize this is sketchy territory but even if i ever met any of these people (actually, i have), i wouldn't mention it.  fanfiction and fantasies, my friends.

• 2 months later...

Is there a word for the opposite of shipping, i.e. when you really hope two characters won't get together? I find this happens with platonic male/female relationships that are complex, meaningful and touching (a good example would be Don and Peggy from Mad Men, Saga and Martin from The Bridge, or the Doctor with some of the companions from Doctor Who). I get paranoid that they'll hook up and ruin everything.

• Like 1

Can't really say I ever had much interest in shipping. I'm fine with canon romance so long as someone bothers to make the dynamic between the characters interesting rather than painfully generic.

That said, I have peers who apparently ship platonic bonds, and one of them declared my friend and I her "BrOTP," which is actually something I find quite amusing. I'm aro/ace and my friend strictly straight, so I appreciate when others recognize that this dear friendship of mine is strictly platonic. Too many people ask me if I'm gay when I get sentimental about my male friendships >.>

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, Szokusia said:

shipshipship gay shiiiippppppp

I (gay) ship A LOT in fandoms but I don't like (hetero) couples in real life. Unless it's gay. Then all of the girls in my gym class ship it.

I love triangles too

Also I recently found a square with an x in a new fandom which is really cool

FUJOSHIS UNITEE 腐腐腐腐腐腐腐腐腐腐腐腐腐腐腐腐

It...uh...sounds like you're romanticizing/cutesifying gay relationships

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I don't really do too much shipping these days, mainly because I'm tired of the way the louder parts of fandom treat it (all the incredibly petty character derailing/demonizing/bashing...). Another factor was realizing that I wasn't really shipping some things because I liked the idea of the characters being romantically involved, but to spite shippers of rival pairs. So I figured maybe it was time to get some distance from it.

I personally have One ship that I'm randomly attached too and am either indifferent towards or repulsed by most others. I tend to be very stubborn within my own head about what ships are Allowed (fit with my own personal specific views about characters) due to romance and sometimes sex repulsion and am constantly having to restrain myself from unnecessary ship bashing.

• Like 1

I ship characters but I’ve noticed that pretty much all of the characters I ship are ones who are friends/have a strong platonic bond....so I think I would ideally ship them queerplatonically but due to the culture in fandom I just go with romance “ships” because it’s easier.

On 2/10/2018 at 5:28 PM, shotinthehand said:

It...uh...sounds like you're romanticizing/cutesifying gay relationships

Actually, you know, you and your community are fetishizing mlm relationships. Mlm are tired of being treated this way by mostly teenage girls and ready for y'all to knock it off. I can find some quotes breaking this down into better detail if you want, but I had to get it out

• Like 2

I don't really ship in real life. I mean I have one celebrity ship, where I ship two famous people. But it's honestly the only one. I feel like they really have a huge chemistry and i would love to see them together. Mostly because they're pretty transparent with their emotions I feel and they do seems sad when they don't spend time together vs spending time together. (They also joke a lot and make a ton of sexual comments so it's kind of a ambiguous relationship to start). 

Other than that I don't ship in real life except if I really feel like the two person would really be a lot happier being together. 

In fiction tho I do ship a ton. I don't really like shipping random people. I feel like for a lot of time it's at random but when I feel two characters really have chemistry and would complete each other and make each other more happy if they were together than if there weren't. I'm a really emphatic person so even if I'm aromantic and it's not for me. I totally get how some people would be better with someone and in a traditional romantic relationship. I hate it when it's people forcing characters together and this kind of things because like leave these characters or person alone if they're great alone but I've seen a lot of character being alone and feeling sad about it and I like shipping them with other characters that are alone and sad about it if there's already a chemistry between them. 

I also write a lot about romantic relationships and romantic characters because I find it really interesting and fascinating so obviously I'm shipping some of my characters together. But I feel like it would always be valid and I could probably write an essay about how them being together would improve their lives, mental health, physical health and all that. Well sometimes it doesn't because I like to write about abusive relationship or dysfunctional one too but I definitely don't ship characters in abusive relationship together. 

In conclusion I would say that I don't ship always but I do often but everytime for valid reasons that I could explain and goes way deeper than "Oh they would be cute together because they could have cuuute babiiiies". I don't exclusively ship romantics relationship btw I've got some Friendship OTP. It's mostly gonna be between my OCs and my friends OCs but I've got some fictional ships. Not that much tho. Anyway relationships are important, romantics one may not be for us but they still are for other people even fictional characters and there's also a ton of other relationship. Shipping for me is just seeing that these relationships would probably have a positive impact on the characters and that's what matters.