Aromantic Rings/Pride

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Cassiopeia said:

Any thoughts on Pride flag stripe friendship bracelets? I mean its 100% obviously platonic. Easy to make. No connections to marriage.

il_570xN.822465701_hzo4.jpg

Is it a bit too much?

I've made similar ace and rainbow flag bracelets, they're definitely fun. 

And I think they're good because if people know the flag, it's a clear sign, but the bracelet doesn't scream "aro" otherwise. 

I like those friendship bracelets too. What I like about it is that friendship bracelets are just such an aro thing. It's 100% platonic, could be easily made yourself and would for me personally be way less obvious because I usually don't wear rings, but wear bracelets, so people would probably not question it, but if someone asks and you don't want to come out to them, you can just say it's a friendship bracelet. That also seems a lot easier than agreeing on a finger to wear a ring. :)

3 minutes ago, Vega said:

I've made similar ace and rainbow flag bracelets, they're definitely fun. 

And I think they're good because if people know the flag, it's a clear sign, but the bracelet doesn't scream "aro" otherwise. 

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. But thread gets dirty so easily...mine would be gray-brown in a week.

I'm also trying to hunt down one of these tiny enamel pins, but in a rainbow/aro flag combination. No luck so far.

rainbow-double-flag-pin-6.gif

12 minutes ago, Cassiopeia said:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. But thread gets dirty so easily...mine would be gray-brown in a week.

I'm also trying to hunt down one of these tiny enamel pins, but in a rainbow/aro flag combination. No luck so far.

rainbow-double-flag-pin-6.gif

Shrinky dinks, maybe? They're not metal, so they're not as long-lasting but you can make them look like anything. 

And yeah, that's true about the dirt though somehow I've been able to keep my bracelet decently clean for a long time now. Probably helps that I take it off when I am doing something artful. 

I work at a Girl Scout Camp, and a lot of people there have made bracelets with their varying pride flags (in addition to ones just for fun. Friendship bracelets are big). It's a good way to be low key about it, but still let other people know what you identify as if they recognize the flag. (We're not supposed to talk about any kind of relationships with the campers, so we have to keep it on the dl). I'm not out, but I was able to acknowledge an ace camper with a flag bracelet without being weird about it. Once I come out, I'm definitely making one, and hopefully any aro campers will notice. The only problem is I wear other friendship bracelets because they're pretty, so it might be harder to tell that its meaningful.

ETA: We'd also have to agree on a flag first....

My squish and I were wandering around in a night market, and we ended up getting matching leather bracelets. They're plain black, and most people wouldn't think they meant anything, but I think that makes it better, because it's kind of like our little secret. 

On 4/17/2016 at 6:14 PM, Cassiopeia said:

Any thoughts on Pride flag stripe friendship bracelets? I mean its 100% obviously platonic. Easy to make. No connections to marriage.

Is it a bit too much?

My friend actually made some pride friendship bracelets recently xD I got a trans one but I'm in the process of making myself an aro one (in an arrow pattern).

I think friendship bracelets scream aro more than rings do, as rings are largely associated with marriage. I still like the ring idea though, and I would definitely try to find a white aro ring and wear it probably on my left middle finger.

Reasoning? I don't want it on my right hand because it might get in the way if I'm writing or using my dominant hand for something. I don't want to wear it on my ring finger though because the left ring finger is where wedding rings usually go. Although I think it would be great satire (I love satire), I just wouldn't like the confusion it would cause. I also like middle finger rings...idk why.

I recently made myself an agender friendship bracelet, so yeah, pride bracelets are definitely a thing. And I think it could work especially well with Arocalypse in particular, because I immediately think of a friendship bracelet pattern when I see the image for the new site banner. (Of course, I still have issues with the version of the aro flag used because it's so close to the agender flag, but other than that, I think it could definitely work.) I also made myself a silver arrow/aro ring on Valentine's Day, because I'm a stubborn and contrary person :P, but I don't wear it that often because the design I used means that it gets hung up on absolutely everything--I'd have to work out a better way, or just use sturdier wire that's less prone to getting bent out of shape. I can post a picture of it later.

On 4/22/2016 at 5:10 PM, Dodecahedron314 said:

I also made myself a silver arrow/aro ring on Valentine's Day, because I'm a stubborn and contrary person :P

*applause*

On 4/22/2016 at 5:10 PM, Dodecahedron314 said:

I can post a picture of it later.

Please do!

• 2 weeks later...

(I know this is ace related and not aro related)

@Cassiopeia that reminds me of how i really want to get a tshirt in the ace flag colours that says, "I don't give a fuck"

It'd be super useful if someone was annoying me because I wouldn't have to say anything, just point at the shirt. Also, the double meaning.

EDIT:

3480bc-white-z1-t-asexuals-don-t-fuck-ar

SO much yes.

7 minutes ago, Zemaddog said:

(I know this is ace related and not aro related)

@Cassiopeia that reminds me of how i really want to get a tshirt in the ace flag colours that says, "I don't give a fuck"

It'd be super useful if someone was annoying me because I wouldn't have to say anything, just point at the shirt. Also, the double meaning.

<off>

Yeah, the have some really ace ace stuff.

Their lesbian merch is a bit flat though, everyone needs some shirts with bad puns.

I want this one, but with actual silver glitter, cos I'm not just dandy in general, but also flamboyantly kitschy.

6010-heathered_black-z1-t-born-to-be-wil

</off>

For a while now I've been on the lookout for a nice arrow ring with some green in it, but certain DC characters keep making that Google search rather difficult. Just imagine, a lovely curved arrow with a rough approximation of the aro flag in crystals on the fletching - you could even choose between flags depending on whether you want a gold or silver ring! Or combine it with whatever flag suits you!

But I'm dreaming (and poor). I'll probably end up settling for a plain arrow on my left ring finger in the hopes that it'll ward people off a bit.

• 3 weeks later...
On 18 April 2016 at 7:14 AM, Cassiopeia said:

Is it a bit too much?

I made one just like that, same pattern and everything. I wear it with my ace bracelet because it's about as obvious as you can get!

I'm a fan of using wristbands/bracelets to symbolise things of personal significance! I have one of those rubber ones that get given out for free heheh. It's a band advertising beyondblue.org.au and it says "tackling depression together". It has significance to me because it reminds me of an online friend who I was very close with and I talked with him every night to help him through a tough time in his life and helped him deal with depression. It's a real confidence booster because it reminds me that I have made a significant impact on someone's life and am capable of supporting people even when it seems things aren't getting better. It doesn't matter to me that the wristband is cheap, because the meaning behind it is priceless :D

I liked the bracelet, but have no idea on how to make them. Could anyone point me to some guide/tutorial?

About the ring, I like the idea of using it on the middle left finger. Because it's not the "ring finger", and it matches my ace ring on the right one. About colors, I suppose white would be easier to match, both with clothing and with the black ace one. But green is also cool.

What about materials? You could always go plastic, but I don't really like it. Maybe you could get a stone ring, such as agate for green and quartz or selenite for white.

Btw, yesterday, I noticed someone who was wearing a bracelet of aro colors, but as he wasn't wearing any ace symbol, I assumed that the chance of him simply not being aware of the flag and having chosen the colors by accident was higher than the chance of him actually being an aro sexual.

I'd be a bit more inclined to ask him about the meaning of the bracelet if he were a girl :D (i.e. on my eye candy spectrum).

I've just got myself an aro ring and the ace one (my first two rings ever) and am confused as to where to wear the aro one :$ Which of the 4 options is the best, in your opinions?

QTErw5k.png

RjaHP4H.jpg

8CIcd8d.jpg

XAhNbQS.jpg

Archived