Non-romantic love in media

Who is your favorite two (or more) characters in ANY type of relationship that is deeply loving but not romantic?

A personal favorite of mine are siblings Simon and River in Firefly-- throughout the show you see a level of genuine devotion, love, and care for one another that is typically portrayed as exculsive to romantic partners.

ok so i realize that this series im promoting is literally based in a het romance, but the raven cycle has this amazing group dynamic between 5 teenagers with terrible coping mechanisms who live in virginia and do magic and stuff? the friendship that is the gangsey just... gives me Life and it lets me ignore the main romance between the Special Guy and the Main Girl more easily than otherwise

tbh i love it because all of these characters are total disasters #.# but each of them is basically devoted to the rest of them and i Die

Sans and Toriel from Undertale (if you forget about all the fan fiction O.o) have this very cool relationship based on their mutual love for bad puns. They have never seen each other (before the end of the game), they only told jokes to each other, yet they have strong mutual trust and respect.

Harry and Hermione from Harry Potter. I feel like they adopted each other as siblings, being only children. I really like their relationship and how they help and support one another. Also Stiles and Scott from teen wolf, because most of the time they have the most awesome friendship in existence. And Kili and Fili from the hobbit, because devoted siblings are love.

Edited to add: Joan Watson and Sherlock Holmes from Elementary. How could I forget them. He named a bee after her!

Carson Beckett and Rodney Mckay from Stargate Atlantis. And Daniel, Sam, Teal'c, and Jack's friendship in Stargate SG-1! I love Stargate so much for all the friendship and camaraderie there is!!! There's some romance in both series, but the friendships always stood out to me! : )

Danny and Jazz from Danny Phantom is one of my favourite. Kinda long paragraph below... and also spoilers for a discontinued show you've either already watched or are never going to xD

Jazz is really protective of her brother at first, but as the show goes on she sees he's a really mature, good person and trusts his judgement. Danny doesn't like his sister when it starts, but soon realises that no matter what she's got his back. There's also Jazz finding out about Danny's secret early on but waiting until he's ready to tell her... honestly, this show has a lot of flaws and it would be nowhere near my list of favourite cartoons if it weren't for Jazz and Danny.

Guest Apple Cake

I think the only one I know is Darwin and Gumball's relationship from The Amazing World of Gumball. I really like how Darwin is always saying he loves Gumball... they have this super cute sibling love since the first day they met... we don't see much of that love from Gumball, but it's super strong from Darwin- he even managed to grow a pair of legs and lungs out of his love for Gumball! Now that sounds weird...

I tried to make a list of specific relationships from Fullmetal Alchemist that I enjoy, but that turns out to be a long list so it's easier to just say that I love watching all the characters in that world interacting. Particularly Roy and his team, it's cool to see colleague/brothers-in-arms portrayed like that.

Spock and Capt. Kirk from Star Trek: TOS--this is one where you have to ignore the headcanons of half the fans, but keeping that in mind, I very much appreciate the level of their friendship.

Also, Elijah and Meredith from Todd Allison and the Petunia Violet are what I like to call my OTQPP, even though as of today their comic has gone the way of Firefly... T_T

Speaking of webcomics, Annie and Kat from Gunnerkrigg Court have one of my favorite fictional best-friendships ever.

6 hours ago, Dodecahedron314 said:

Speaking of webcomics, Annie and Kat from Gunnerkrigg Court have one of my favorite fictional best-friendships ever.

yes!! gunnerkrigg! annie and kat's relationship is literally like the best one ive ever read? it's so supportive and they have bad times but they ultimately care about each other as people and they're able to work out their problems and ugh i just love these two

10 hours ago, RedNeko said:

I tried to make a list of specific relationships from Fullmetal Alchemist that I enjoy, but that turns out to be a long list so it's easier to just say that I love watching all the characters in that world interacting. Particularly Roy and his team, it's cool to see colleague/brothers-in-arms portrayed like that.

fma is Quality™ and i need to re watch both of the series D:

13 hours ago, DannyFenton123 said:

Danny and Jazz from Danny Phantom is one of my favourite. Kinda long paragraph below... and also spoilers for a discontinued show you've either already watched or are never going to xD

Hide contents

Jazz is really protective of her brother at first, but as the show goes on she sees he's a really mature, good person and trusts his judgement. Danny doesn't like his sister when it starts, but soon realises that no matter what she's got his back. There's also Jazz finding out about Danny's secret early on but waiting until he's ready to tell her... honestly, this show has a lot of flaws and it would be nowhere near my list of favourite cartoons if it weren't for Jazz and Danny.

^^^^this!!! i for one saw their relationship as pretty close to an actual sibling relationship - they disagreed a lot and grated on each other all the time, however, when it came down to it, they work well together! obvs it was distorted for Cartoon Humor™ but idk i thought it was more well written than like... half the episodes tbh

• 5 months later...

Dipper and Mabel from Gravity Falls are my favorite sibling relationships to date. I also love how Lionblaze, Hollyleaf, and Jayfeather (characters from a book series) react with each other as well. They care about each other, but also have lots of banter!

Lots...and lots of it.. xD 

Image result for dipper and mabel gif

On 5/26/2016 at 4:02 PM, Apple Cake said:

I think the only one I know is Darwin and Gumball's relationship from The Amazing World of Gumball.

^^^^^^^^^^^ 100% this

Since this thread last existed, I've found another big one: all the Homestuck friendships and found families. All of them. That's all I'm going to say because otherwise I'll start going off on spoilery rants because I have Too Many Feelings about this. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/26/2016 at 11:30 PM, Dodecahedron314 said:

Spock and Capt. Kirk from Star Trek: TOS--this is one where you have to ignore the headcanons of half the fans, but keeping that in mind, I very much appreciate the level of their friendship. 

Similarly, in Voyager there's Janeway and Chakotay. Super close, and based on tropes I was expecting them to have romantic tension and decide not to do it because of the chain of command (something Janeway ran into with another crew member) but nope. They never show any hint of actually wanting each other that way. They're just a super good team who regularly confide in each other and trust each other.

I really liked Frozen for having the most plot-important relationship be a sibling bond. To the point where confessing platonic love for a sibling solved the main conflict in the show.

Sam and Dean Winchester from Supernatural are another example of super close siblings.

In Vampire Diaries, although the main plot is a romantic triangle, Elena and her two best friends are very close too. And over time the Salvatore brothers work out their issues (competing over Elena, plus different moral standards) and turn into a really good, though somewhat dysfunctional brother team.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer gets a gang of friends (called the Scoobies) and although some are romantically involved at times, the primary bonds between them are non-romantic. They even end up all living together. While every single romance ends horribly, the friendship between Buffy, Willow and Zander holds firm against all the challenges they face. 

Sherlock Holmes and John Watson, in pretty much every iteration I'm familiar with, which encompasses the original ACD literary canon and the BBC version. (Yes, I'm calling the BBC version platonic because even if you buy that John has non-platonic feelings for Sherlock because of all of the queerbaiting, 1. that's not explicitly canon at this point, and 2. there's no indication whatsoever of reciprocation in that way on Sherlock's part. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to run as far away from this thread as possible in case I just accidentally started WWIII, because I've seen this debate get really ugly really quickly before.)

And speaking of BBC Sherlock...let's talk about The Six Thatchers (S4E1): 

Spoiler

Mary became surprisingly relevant to this thread in this episode. It's clear that the other members of AGRA meant a lot to her--yes, the case could be made for blackmail being the main thing that kept them all together, but she also describes the group as being "like family", and her face absolutely lit up when she realized AJ was still alive, and refused to believe he could ever want her dead despite how much she trusted Sherlock's judgement. 

And then there's Sherlock. Taking that bullet for him definitely makes a point about either the depth of her closeness with him (which has been hinted at with how similar their thought processes and modi operandi are) or the implication that she might believe that John would be even more devastated to lose Sherlock than to lose her (especially since she already knows how hard he took it the first time at the end of series 2), so either way there's support for an interpretation involving extremely close platonic connections.

I like it when they have movies about people forming friendships. Like "I love you man" or "The Intouchables".
Animated movies have this theme a lot too and there are many good ones: Finding Nemo, Shrek (which has romance too but who cares about that), Toy story, Zootopia.

Steven and Amethyst from Steven Universe! Amethyst is much more on Steven's level than Garnet and Pearl; those two are more like his moms, and she's like his older sister, at least in my eyes. As someone with a close relationship with an older brother, it's nice to see that familiar dynamic of them affectionately pushing and pulling at each other, and lifting each other up when their insecurities make it hard on them.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/13/2017 at 9:34 PM, Confidential_Con said:

Steven and Amethyst from Steven Universe! Amethyst is much more on Steven's level than Garnet and Pearl; those two are more like his moms, and she's like his older sister, at least in my eyes. As someone with a close relationship with an older brother, it's nice to see that familiar dynamic of them affectionately pushing and pulling at each other, and lifting each other up when their insecurities make it hard on them.

I love that dynamic too.

Now that he's grown we have more of a relationship of equals, but when we were kids, I acted like a mix of Amethyst and Pearl towards my little brother. Sometimes I'd be goofing about and being his pal, and other times I was the overly anxious perfectionist would-be caregiver to him.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 08/01/2017 at 0:39 AM, Ettina said:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer gets a gang of friends (called the Scoobies) and although some are romantically involved at times, the primary bonds between them are non-romantic. They even end up all living together. While every single romance ends horribly, the friendship between Buffy, Willow and Zander holds firm against all the challenges they face. 

Not to mention that Willow and Buffy basically end up raising Dawn

Others have been mentioned like Spock and Kirk, Harry and Hermione, Sherlock and Watson, The fellowship of the ring segments after sean bean dies. 

One show I especially like is Roswell, it only had 3 seasons and is from the turn of the millennium, but seriously, all the found family feels! Basically two trio sets of friends merge romantically and platonically while still maintaining their original closeness most of the time. Even when two characters discover they should be together because of prophecy they are both repulsed by it yet turn to each other for comfort like a brother and sister. Also Kyle discovering how he truly feels about Tess is such a punch the air and yell YES! moment. 

Odo and Lwuxana Troi from Deep Space Nine. They're canonically married (at least briefly), however their relationship isn't a romantic one. I think Lwuxana said it best:

LT: I'll miss you too. You've gotten used to having me around, haven't you? Oh you dear, sweet man. Don't you see, what you want is company; someone to take care of.

O: Is that so wrong?

LT: Of course not, the problem is that I want much more than that from you. You see, I can't help it; I'm still in love with you. And as much as I wish you were in love with me, I know you're not. I could stay, I could try to make you fall in love with me, but we both know that won't happen, that I'd end up resenting you. And our friendship is far too important for me to let that happen.

This scene and others between these two characters over the series really touched me.

For the anime/manga heads, Nastu & Ezra and maybe even Lucy and Natsu, Ash and all the female friends he's journeyed with, and Goku and Bulma cuz holy could've got the panties but chi chi would rip his head off, I mean look at how bulma on the low be looking at Goku, but vegeta won't be hearing that neither. ??

• 5 months later...

Here are some from marvel:

(Anything that hasn’t been cannoned but still could happen later does not count, like Captain America and the Winter Solider.)

Black Widow and Captain America

Captain America And The Falcon

Thor And Hulk

Iron Man and War Machine

Iron Man And Hulk

Star Lord And Drax

Rocket And Groot

Jane And Darcy

Iron Man and Captain America

There’s more, but these are just a few.

Marvel tends to have better platonic relationships that romantic ones, and they tend to be especially strong with Captain America.

Archived