You, Netflix show

nonmerci

I was wondering if anybody here watch You on Netflix? That's about a crazy guy who is ready to do anything for love… literally. He does horrible things through the show and justifies it because of *love*. Because of the plot, there is of course kisses, "romance", and all; but it's interesting to enter into his head and see how his need of romance leads him to crime. Or, how I say it, how romance tropes create a psychopath who is convinced he is a "good guy".

• 4 months later...

I watched the first episode of You a while ago – some of his actions were so disturbing and stalkery, but like you said, he justifies his actions because he *loves* her.

There's a couple of comics on LINE Webtoon (a free webcomic site) which has loads of stories like this (from memory – My Deepest Secret, #Killstagram, It's Mine, Stalker x Stalker etc.). Possibly popular due to the anime trope "yandere" which is like obsessively loving someone to the point of insanity. The stalker is usually drawn in an attractive way so you can't totally hate the character – and I assume the main guy character in You is supposed to be a good-looking nice guy. I also believe the appeal of these stalkers are that they would do literally anything for you, which proves how much they love you or whatever. Something along the lines of that haha.

What's also interesting is that the first episode seemed a lot like a romantic comedy type of tv show. I'll have to keep watching to see if it stays that way or it becomes more serious later on.

On 1/12/2020 at 3:09 PM, nonmerci said:

I was wondering if anybody here watch You on Netflix? That's about a crazy guy who is ready to do anything for love… literally. He does horrible things through the show and justifies it because of *love*. Because of the plot, there is of course kisses, "romance", and all; but it's interesting to enter into his head and see how his need of romance leads him to crime. Or, how I say it, how romance tropes create a psychopath who is convinced he is a "good guy".

I've not seen it. Though it is concerning how, according to Wikipedia, "According to many reporters and critics, concerns were expressed regarding the viewers who have positively identified and connected with Penn Badgley's character on multiple social media platforms, despite the transgressive acts that the protagonist displayed and committed over the course of the season"

On 6/3/2020 at 2:13 PM, honeypandan said:

What's also interesting is that the first episode seemed a lot like a romantic comedy type of tv show. I'll have to keep watching to see if it stays that way or it becomes more serious later on.

I would say there is dark humour in it. It take trope of romantic movie, but bring them to the point that is no sane at all.

6 hours ago, Mark said:

Though it is concerning how, according to Wikipedia, "According to many reporters and critics, concerns were expressed regarding the viewers who have positively identified and connected with Penn Badgley's character on multiple social media platforms, despite the transgressive acts that the protagonist displayed and committed over the course of the season"

Yep, I saw that type of comments in média and this is disgusting. I don't know if this is identification or connection, but I saw some people défendons his actions and... I am concerned about this.

I think it is because the show really makes you enter the logic of this character, who see himself as a "nice guy". This is the genius of the show, but also concerning as some people are seeing his actions are romantic when they are not, this is possissiveness and control. I suppose it shows how some alloromantic are quick to forgive things if they are done in the name of what they call "love"... and so it shows how people have not sane ideas about romantic love.

And some reactions about season 2 finale tends to show that some of these people also think that it is to the man to protect his love interest, not the contrary. Which shows some archaic view about romance too.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

The way his twisted sense of love leads to some seriously messed-up actions is both fascinating and creepy. It's a unique take on how romantic notions can take a dark turn. The show's a wild mix of emotions – one moment you're intrigued, the next you're horrified. But that's what makes it so compelling, right? I get paid to watch Netflix, but this one is more for pleasure. I love this show.

Edited by burtonalex