Blazkovitz

Is FWB common?

In your experience, is friends with benefits a common arrangement? I mean, actual close friends having sex without getting into a romantic relationship.

I haven't known anyone get into a relationship like this (including myself). So, no, not common IME.

• Like 2

I don't know anyone who practice it. But on the other hand people who have this arrangement might not be open about it for fear of judgment.

I would guess for most it would be a temporary thing. Two friends getting together now and then when they're both single.

• Like 1

Once I see a TV program (in French) who invites people who has or had their kind of relationship. That's a show where people explain their life choices (understand : where they have to justify themselves in front of narrow-minded people). I recall two people in particular. One was complaining because the his FWBs he had (two if I remember) ended up having romantic feelings and wanted a romantic relationships, while he does not (I don't know if he was aro or not) The other person had a it easier, it never happened to her; but it was something she does only when she is single. She and her FWB stopped having sex when one of them started dating. So I think they saw it as a way to have sex when they are not in couple, and not as a relationship to pursue in itself.

Anyway, the fact that the subject came in this programm just shows how much society still see this as weird and not common. But it's not a serious programm, so of course it's hard to come with any conclusion.

• Like 1

I don't know how common it is statistically, but I've had quite a few relationships like this with friends. At the moment I've got at least a couple of friends that I could message if I wanted to hook up tonight. 

Obviously I wouldn't have sex with a friend who was in an exclusive sexual relationship with someone else, though. So yeah, in several cases I've stopped having sex with a friend once they got into such a relationship.