Aromantic Apps

KymiNyci

Yep I was wondering about it. I don't know if I would using it myself, but I saw a lot of aromantics saying how difficult it was to find people for a QPR or a sexual relaionship, or even deep friendship. And I thought it would be great to have an app to help people find themselves.

I made a post about it here, but as nobody answer I thought I was wrong.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, eatingcroutons said:

Apps to do what? 

Well, not necessarily anything particular. But I thought it would be cool if there was an Aromantic App, similar to a social media app, but with things like Aro spec definitions and information. Or even something more social for people to connect with other Aromantics. 

On 12/5/2019 at 3:15 PM, nonmerci said:

Yep I was wondering about it. I don't know if I would using it myself, but I saw a lot of aromantics saying how difficult it was to find people for a QPR or a sexual relaionship, or even deep friendship. And I thought it would be great to have an app to help people find themselves.

The difficulty I see here is that of a small group people: aros who realise are aro, rather than thinking they are "broken allos" combined with a wide variety of possible relationships: QPRs, non-romantic sexual relationships, deep friendships together with others which fall outside the false dichotomy of "(sexual) romantic or platonic friendship".

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mark said:

The difficulty I see here is that of a small group people: aros who realise are aro, rather than thinking they are "broken allos" combined with a wide variety of possible relationships: QPRs, non-romantic sexual relationships, deep friendships together with others which fall outside the false dichotomy of "(sexual) romantic or platonic friendship".

Yep, that was my fear.

Asexuals are a smala group too, but at least their dating app has only one goal : dating.

But I hope one day something like this will be possible. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nonmerci said:

Asexuals are a smala group too, but at least their dating app has only one goal : dating.

Specifically romantic dating and seeking romantic relationships.
Which are not too dissimilar from what other alloromantics do. Indeed allosexual alloromantics who are "wait until marriage" might go about dating in exactly the same way as asexual alloromantics. Dating websites/apps typically have mostly platonic matching criteria.

On the other hand there is little consensus of what a date without romance would look like. Even though everything people actually do on dates is romantic coded...
Similarly for non-romantic relationships, especially those which are sexual or otherwise non-platonic.
Even more so as long term relationships...

• Like 1

it's not aro-exclusive, but there is lex, which is a social and dating app for non-men. there are quite a few aros on there, but it can be used for a variety of relationships- ive seen ads for qprs, fwbs, found families, casual friendships, quick hookups, so if you're looking for a variety of possibilities that's probably you're best bet for now. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

ACEapp is *technically* an aro inclusive app, and it does let you filter for people who just want to make friends, but in my experience it is still pretty ace centric, and unless you live in a big city it really doesn't have enough users to be helpful. 

21 hours ago, bananaslug said:

ACEapp is *technically* an aro inclusive app, and it does let you filter for people who just want to make friends, but in my experience it is still pretty ace centric, and unless you live in a big city it really doesn't have enough users to be helpful. 

I found quite mixed reviews of this on the, Android, app store. Including complains about too many allosexuals using it.

Another app which is sometimes mentioned is Patook, which is exclusively for platonic friendships.

Many mainstream dating apps do have a "platonic friends" option.

My feeling is all of these are written by and for alloromantics.

On 12/5/2019 at 10:15 AM, nonmerci said:

I meant to comment on your thread when I first discovered this forum, but I would definitely be interested in an aro-centric app. However I also agree with what others have said here, that there may not a big enough "market" to keep one afloat. I wish there was something we could use though.

I checked out ACEapp briefly but it seemed too ace-centric; aromantic orientations weren't even included when making your profile.

• Like 2

you know now that i think about it, we could establish some other ways for aros to meet irl first, like regular group meetups where people could befriend each other, bc still it requires less expertise than building an app would!! and then when you have some networks maybe marketing an app would be easier

aromantic spectrum awareness week is coming up in february, maybe some one-time meetups at least could be organized for that for example!!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, bydontost said:

you know now that i think about it, we could establish some other ways for aros to meet irl first, like regular group meetups where people could befriend each other, bc still it requires less expertise than building an app would!! and then when you have some networks maybe marketing an app would be easier

aromantic spectrum awareness week is coming up in february, maybe some one-time meetups at least could be organized for that for example!!

That sounds like a good idea! I know there's an ace & aro (well, mostly ace) meetup around me, but it doesn't look very active.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2019 at 1:03 PM, aepaex said:

That sounds like a good idea! I know there's an ace & aro (well, mostly ace) meetup around me, but it doesn't look very active.

AFAIK there are no such meetups near me.
Though, if there were, I'd find "mostly ace" a disincentive. (Even more so if that translated to "mostly alloromantic".)

• Like 2

There are 2 apps which are more focused on making friendships and (therefore) PPs (Platonic Partnerships, I know it sounds like peepee XD) which are 

Patook (however it's not very active)

Yubo

I mean there is an option on some dating apps where you can say you're just looking for friends but most people want a romantic relationship eventually from those friends. 

I would love to have a place where you can be confident everyone wants a fwb or pp of some sort :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, TripleA said:

There are 2 apps which are more focused on making friendships and (therefore) PPs (Platonic Partnerships, I know it sounds like peepee XD) which are 

Patook (however it's not very active)

Yubo

These are specifically for platonic, with it's regular meaning, friends.

35 minutes ago, TripleA said:

I mean there is an option on some dating apps where you can say you're just looking for friends but most people want a romantic relationship eventually from those friends. 

Similarly these are platonic friendships.
Which alloromantics, especially those who are "friends first", may wish to "upgrade" to romantic relationships.

Though ir seems to be very much an aro thing to want non-platonic (including Queer Platonic) friendships.

42 minutes ago, TripleA said:

I would love to have a place where you can be confident everyone wants a fwb or pp of some sort :)

Not all aros will be interested in any kind of "Platonic Partnership". 
With FWB having all sorts of issues. Both in respect of the term itself and being interpreted differently by different people.

There is a site called Adult Friend Finder. However it's a swingers site. Thus catering towards alloromantics.

19 minutes ago, Mark said:

These are specifically for platonic, with it's regular meaning, friends.

Similarly these are platonic friendships.
Which alloromantics, especially those who are "friends first", may wish to "upgrade" to romantic relationships.

Though ir seems to be very much an aro thing to want non-platonic (including Queer Platonic) friendships.

Not all aros will be interested in any kind of "Platonic Partnership". 
With FWB having all sorts of issues. Both in respect of the term itself and being interpreted differently by different people.

There is a site called Adult Friend Finder. However it's a swingers site. Thus catering towards alloromantics.

QPRs are platonic though, that's why it says Queer Platonic Relationship. That's why I prefer Platonic Partnership, as well as the fact that I don't think Aces/Aros who are not gay, bi or trans (LGBT) should be using 'queer'at all. 

I understand that there are no specific sites or apps to find PPs specifically, and it's something I'd love to see. However, some people who search for regular friends may want to 'upgrade' to a PP like how alloromantics do with romantic relationships. 

Also all friendships are platonic, platonic attraction is wanting to be friends with someone. What is a 'non-platonic friend'? 

I prefer a combination of fwb and pps - those are the only 2 non romantic relationships I can think of that aros would want to have outside of familial ones, as well as just regular friendships. What other types are there?