Aro and vegetarian/vegan?

Misanthropy

I'm a flexitarian :D
Actually I eat almost exclusively vegan but I don't tend to describe myself as such because for most vegans it seems to be an all or nothing kinda deal. Also I do use some animal products such as down pillows.

Do you have any specific motivation for being vegetarian @greyromantic kittay

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Holmbo said:

I'm a flexitarian :D
Actually I eat almost exclusively vegan but I don't tend to describe myself as such because for most vegans it seems to be an all or nothing kinda deal. Also I do use some animal products such as down pillows.

Do you have any specific motivation for being vegetarian @greyromantic kittay

Various reasons- stopped enjoying meat,never felt completely at ease eating meat when younger,want to reduce animal suffering.Health wise there are reasons to limit animal products. I think reducing suffering is something we should all strive towards. Having said that,I let people make their own decisions and try not to impose my views on others.I tried going vegan for awhile but switched to vegetarian (I have depression and anxiety problems so a compromise was needed. Having said that,I'm sure there are healthy vegans around). 

As for being flexitarian while eating a mostly vegan diet- makes sense. The vegan label when applied to people becomes tricky due to perfection being ultimately impossible. I think anyone that at least makes an effort is on the right track though.

• 9 months later...

I'm vegan, but I was raised vegetarian so it wasn't a big leap. Animals suffer so much from the dairy industry as well, and I had trouble staying vegetarian and turning a blind eye to that. I was already eating almost entirely vegan before I switched, so it's never really been a big deal to me!

• Like 3

Back in highschool I was vegetarian for a year and then transitioned into vegan for another year before abandoning it. It wasn't extremely sustainable for me because of my family situation but now I'm a flexitarian and try to eat vegetarian or vegan a large majority of the time. Hopefully when I move out at the end of the year I can be fully plant based!

• Like 1

I was raised vegetarian, and these days eat mostly vegan, but I call myself flexitarian because I'm really not fussy about it, if there are no decent vegan or veggie options at a restaurant or if a friend cooks me meat, I'll eat it.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...