Aromanticism Thoughts

Ivan-The-AroAce

How Many Aromantic People here have tried being in a relationship, but it never felt right  

17 members have voted

1. 1. How Many Aromantic People here have tried being in a relationship, but it never felt right

• I've never been in a relation-ship
    • I've tried, but it never felt ok
    • a relation- WhAt nOw

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/12/2019 at 12:00 PM

I've always thought someone having romantic interactions was strange, considering i grew up everyone already had a date partner, and i never had fantasies about one, if i did, it was just to see what its like, then quickly stopped, has anyone else done this?

I've never been in a relationship.

Even without *knowing* about aromantism itself, i knew when i was not in love with peoples, so…. I said no everytime someone asked me out and i never forced myself. I knew i didn"t want a relationship like that. "not yet" , i used to say when i was younger, but still.

Note : while i got (get) things like "you will find someone" or "so when will you bring a guy home?" , i never felt *forced* , peoples didn't insist too much about it every second in my life (yeah some weird dudes were too insisting when i said no, but thankfully i never gave up ). And my parents stopped asking, they understand more or less. 

Never been in a relationship.

I used to think 'I'll be in one when I'll fall in love".

But I never developped romantic feelings towards someone. Ans now I discover I am aromantic. So I never been in a relationship, never will be, and I am perfectly fine with it. 

• Thanks 1

Yes, kind of. I've never thought about romantic interaction and attraction that much, even when it was thrown around practically everywhere (even in cartoons for children).
My story is a bit different; I voted "I've tried but it never felt ok". For a long time, my relation to romance was ambiguous. There was a part of me who was very curious and wanted to understand what on earth the difference between romantic and platonic love is. Then there was the part who couldn't (still can't) stand romance and almost everything people seem to view as "romantic". This part inside me is way stronger. So, my attempts did not end well and I've never felt comfortable in a romantic coded relationship. It's a mystery to me how people can want this and stay in one but whatever makes one happy, really.

• Thanks 1

I have never been in a relationship but I have been asked on dates. I used to get sort of excited when people asked me on dates, because I felt like that meant that I was doing something right. But I always cancelled the dates because even the idea of it made me so incredibly uncomfortable that I just could not go through with it. 

• Thanks 1

I was in a relationship once and it was ok I guess? In hindsight, I entered it at least in part because of my quest to find out what this thing called "romance" everybody made a fuzz about actually was. I think at the time I thought that it might just develop once you're in a relationship (and for some time tried to convince myself that it was that way). Plus my conversation skills weren't and aren't good enough to turn it down politely so I thought I'd just give it a shot. And my experience wasn't bad enough to deter me from any other romatic relationships in the future, so "tried it and like it" probably applys even though there was also a lot of "relationship - now what?"

• Like 1