Books on Aromantism

I got talking to the lady at a local alternative bookstore in Liverpool about the lack of books on aromantism. It started off because I was buying an asexual based anthology book and she asked me if I knew of anymore. I pointed out that even more thin on the ground is books on aromantism (irrespective of the sexual orientation). In fact, I think I've only come across one feeble kindle book that I actually sent back for a refund it was so bad. Has anyone else found any good titles on aromantism that I could recommend to this bookstore? She did actually suggest I write one, and I wouldn't rule out editing a community effort to get an aromantism anthology/information book together, especially as there's a massive aromantic gap on the sexuality bookshelves. Would anyone be interested in working with me on this? It would be good to have contributors and design help from across the aromantic community irrespective of sexual attraction (in fact the more variety of experiences the better). There seems to be a lack of offline awareness in this regard. What's people's initial thoughts about this?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Do you mean non-fiction books about aromanticism, or fiction books with aro characters?

I don't know of any non-fiction books I'm afraid, though I do know of some fiction with aro characters.

Either way, we need more! 

• 2 months later...

if you scroll down a bit here: https://www.aromanticism.org/en/resources-1 there are online resources and aromantics in creative works, which could be a start

There is a ace/aro database that collects data about allosexual aros too

and, spoiler alert, a list of books that you could suggest your local library buy for Aromantic Spectrum Awareness Week in february is in the works :)

• Like 1

Nothing of that sort really comes to mind, there are books in the general area of aromanticism, but no proper anthologies or the like as far as I know.

Totally the kind of project that I would be happy to contribute to and work on!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 12/16/2019 at 5:37 PM, bydontost said:

and, spoiler alert, a list of books that you could suggest your local library buy for Aromantic Spectrum Awareness Week in february is in the works :)

Has this list been finished and posted somewhere?

Would love to have a list of books I can suggest to our local queer education project

I recently read A Lady's Guide to Petticoats and Piracy by Mackenzi Lee, a YA historical fiction novel with an aromantic protagonist and a lot of feminist themes; the protagonist, Felicity, is trying to pursue a career as a doctor and avoid marriage in a time when women weren't allowed to do that. This book is a sequel to a VERY romantic book called A Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue, which centers around a bisexual disaster of a protagonist going on a wild quest to find a cure for his epileptic boyfriend or something? I might be remembering wrong, but it was a lot of fun. I personally liked the first book better, but the aro rep in the sequel is great. One could probably skip the first book if ya read a synopsis or smth? Yeah.

There is a recently released book called Loveless by Alice Oseman. It’s basically a coming out story of an aroace girl while at university. It’s also an oven voices novel so it’s based loosely on her experiences. I personally thought it was AMAZING and it really helped me validate my feelings and set in my identity. I often go back to think about the book and how I felt reading it when I’m doubting myself or my identity. 

It’s more of a fiction book than an anthology or anything but it’s really good and describes both a sexuality and a romanticism very well in my opinion 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

In the faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home, there is a side character that is aro and possibly ace. "Andre found people exciting, and wonderful to be friends with,  and he had no interest in romance with anyone". This is only mentioned in one paragraph though.