HELLO!

ruth

HELLO! I am Ruth

I have discovered that I may be aromantic. It's been difficult coming to terms to this because I feel like I'm missing out. I'm supposed to fall in love and establish a romantic relationship but I simply don't fall in love! I'm emotionally satisfied with a very close friend.

I always felt alienated from my friends and family for not having any interest in a romantic relationship. It's relieving finding people who feel the same way I do. 

• Like 6

Welcome! 

Yeah, there can be a lot of pressure and expectation put on you regarding a potential romantic future, so coming to terms with being different from that can be hard. I hope you find some interesting things and support here while you are questioning :) 

• Like 2

Welcome! I'm glad you found this site. It always helps to relate to people. I've found that there are very knowledgeable people here, so if you ever have questions, feel free to ask anyone. And if you want someone to talk to individually, my inbox is always open. :)

(I love your name by the way)

I am in the same boat as you Ruth! I too just recently started accepting myself as aromantic/asexual and I am slowly coming to terms with it. I struggle with self doubt every now and then but I become more content when I remind myself that I don't have to be in a relationship. I know personally that I wouldn't be happy in one anyway (regardless of what people/the media says) so why would I sacrifice my happiness in order to fit in? Struggling to overcome society's expectations is super difficult but it can be done with determination and by being patient with yourself! No matter what anyone says, friendships are just as valid and as strong and as romantic relationships, if not, in some cases, stronger. Still, if I find myself feeling down, I always feel better when I watch aromantic youtubers talk about their experiences or search for aro/ace memes?

• Like 2