General site suggestions

Robin

On 8/29/2016 at 7:18 AM, Louis Hypo said:

I just learnt that if your status update is too long it won't post. This has caused me grief in the past especially with my unseen coming out post. Can you implement a character counter like you see in tweets and notify people if their update is too long instead of just deleting the entire post?

Hi Louis! I actually have no control over that.

3 hours ago, Josie said:

Okay so I have a suggestion to make it possible to see how many people are online when you log in. I just think it's nice to know if anyone else is on at the same time as you are.

EDIT: Okay nvm I just realised you could already see that.

I think you've got it figured out. :)

Sorry I forgot to check this thread for a couple of weeks!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2016 at 11:29 AM, Kai Pufflehugs IV said:

Where? I can't find the option. In terms of what times are shown on the pages, it seems to be automatic.

Reveal hidden contents

2matcDZ.png

Hi! Sorry for the delayed response. I've been busy moving and forgot to check this subforum. Anyhow:

https://invisionpower.com/forums/topic/381927-setting-timezone/

Apparently you can't change your time zone. It's done automagically. Now, if it gets it wrong, I don't know how to fix that...

On 1/1/2017 at 6:35 AM, Tal Shi'ar said:

The codes for the emoticons are different with this suite of IPB than AVEN's previous version of it. They have since changed them back since their upgrade, so it is possible.

I'm afraid changing the codes underneath all the emoticons would destroy the emoticons in all posts done so far. I think we have a much wider selection of emoticons too, so there's no parallel for many of them. I'm all for adding new ones where they make sense, just not changing the codes underneath.

54 minutes ago, Blue Phoenix Ace said:
On 31/12/2016 at 2:59 AM, Kai Pufflehugs IV said:

Where? I can't find the option. In terms of what times are shown on the pages, it seems to be automatic.

Reveal hidden contents

2matcDZ.png

Hi! Sorry for the delayed response. I've been busy moving and forgot to check this subforum. Anyhow:

https://invisionpower.com/forums/topic/381927-setting-timezone/

Apparently you can't change your time zone. It's done automagically. Now, if it gets it wrong, I don't know how to fix that...

I've noticed that on AVEN it's possible to select your timezone. Maybe the admins over there know how to handle this.

14 minutes ago, Zemaddog said:

I've noticed that on AVEN it's possible to select your timezone. Maybe the admins over there know how to handle this.

Wait, you can? Even after the update?

Just now, Robin said:
15 minutes ago, Zemaddog said:

Wait, you can? Even after the update?

After the update, one of the first things it asked me was to set my timezone. I haven't been on there since like early november though.

• 1 month later...

Many members of the forum knows another member in person. I can imagine this prevents some very relevant yet uncomfortable questions from being asked and therefore answered.

Could it be that some questions one could ask is regarded so senstitive to the asker that you would like to be able to ask and then respond to them anonymously?

This is possible on Quora for example,

I also know of forums which uses a "sensitive room" which you have to be invited to (earn your right to take part in). I think the former would work better in this case though.

• Like 2

On 2/13/2017 at 8:39 PM, Navoto said:

Could it be that some questions one could ask is regarded so senstitive to the asker that you would like to be able to ask and then respond to them anonymously?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Would this essentially be a private message, but one of the participants is anonymous? Could this be achieved by making a new account?

16 hours ago, Blue Phoenix Ace said:

I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Would this essentially be a private message, but one of the participants is anonymous? Could this be achieved by making a new account?

Wouldn't that be dupping/sock accounting?

On 2/13/2017 at 8:39 PM, Navoto said:

Many members of the forum knows another member in person. I can imagine this prevents some very relevant yet uncomfortable questions from being asked and therefore answered.

This is possible on Quora for example,

I also know of forums which uses a "sensitive room" which you have to be invited to (earn your right to take part in). I think the former would work better in this case though.

I actually have a worthless suggestion idea on this

What if members could send in this kind of request to a staff member? The rules would be that the pm to the staff member must contain the topic's title and description/questions. The mod would post the topic in the forum it goes in and put something like [Anonymous post] Why can't I be a triangle? The anonymous poster could then watch the outcome from there. One fault of this setup is that the anonymous asker would not be able to post replies without breaking that and tbh messaging the mod every time they want to reply will get on the mods nerves fast. So it would just be that one post with the [Anonymous] Heading.

Cons:

• The system would be dependent on the mods and would add something to them. With how sparse it is around here that might not be too bad but it is still something to consider
  • If the poster doesn't want a certain mod to know, they will need to wait for one they are comfortable with to come on. Then again, the wait might be worth it if they truly want to keep it so that only the mod they trust knows.
  • As with any forum feature, things that break basic uela would need to be looked at
  • This might get overused but unsure. Perhaps another requirement would be that the post needs sensitive info or info of a personal nature to be posted under anonymous

That's my boring talking done for the day.  I think it would be useful to those few who want it (maybe ask in a poll?) but it isn't without its faults. One good thing about this method is that you wouldn't need to add any plugins or applications to the forums because those are a pain.

On 02/16/2017 at 2:35 AM, Blue Phoenix Ace said:

I mean the possibility of creating a public forum post where the creator is anonymous and can bring feedback to the following discussion anonymously.

On 2/16/2017 at 1:17 PM, rubydelvai said:

Wouldn't that be dupping/sock accounting?

Uhh yeah that's true. Don't do that. :)

On 2/16/2017 at 8:57 PM, Navoto said:

I mean the possibility of creating a public forum post where the creator is anonymous and can bring feedback to the following discussion anonymously.

Let me look into it. I think the idea has merit.

On 2/16/2017 at 3:05 PM, CakeSpadeAroAce said:

Here's my site suggestion:

I think we should try to be more connected to AVEN. That will make Arocalypse significantly more active.

I think it wouldn't hurt to do some cross promotion. Perhaps their romantic orientations forums could include us as a resource. Also on Aven I have Arocalypse in my signature. It's a free shameless plug.

Ok I found a decent solution for the anonous posting. I will try to get this setup tomorrow. I think I will create a subforum specifically for anonymous posts, and not allow them anywhere else.

• Like 2

The anonymous subforum is now up and running. I made it a Q&A style but if you think it should be for full discussions, I can change it later. You may only post anonymously in that subforum. Only I (currently) and future administrators will be able to see your real member name if you post anonymously, but moderators can act based on post content. So, please be sure to follow the ToS.

Oh also, it says Guest under the portrait, but guests may not post without first registering as a member. As with other forums, guests may read the forum, but not post.

• Like 2

On 2017-02-20 at 3:24 AM, Blue Phoenix Ace said:

The anonymous subforum is now up and running. I made it a Q&A style but if you think it should be for full discussions, I can change it later. You may only post anonymously in that subforum. Only I (currently) and future administrators will be able to see your real member name if you post anonymously, but moderators can act based on post content. So, please be sure to follow the ToS.

Oh also, it says Guest under the portrait, but guests may not post without first registering as a member. As with other forums, guests may read the forum, but not post.

Wow, nice to see ideas come to fruition in such a pace. Sensitive questions already coming in.. Yeah.. makes me smile! Good work Blue Phoenix Ace! :clapping:

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I would appreciate having a section to the side where you can see the most newly created threads, not just the ones where someone has most recently commented/liked (I'm reasonably sure they show up when someone has liked a comment because I sometimes look and there is no new comment... is this really necessary?), because the recent topics are often filled with threads from the arcade ("Be the newest comment") so I sometimes miss when someone has created something new elsewhere.

• Like 2