General site suggestions

Robin

it has always confused me why the "newest content" section shows the thread with the newest post, but rather than show who posted it, shows the thread. I'd expect either that there is the newest created thread there with the thread creator, or the most recent updated thread with showing the newest poster who posted in it. 

• 1 month later...

There should be a topic pinned in either the welcome forum or the aromantic discussion forum listing all the known romantic orientations, maybe created by one of the mods or @Arocalypse :D? Having an on-site list that new labels can be suggested to and edited in as they appear would be a good thing. It might help new members find terms for themselves if they want to, and also be eye opening to all members about the variation that is out there!  

I don't think I researched very hard, yet I have found many labels. When I mention some of them on other sites some people are surprised and say things like 'goodness, that is me! I'd never heard that term before'. So I think it would be nice if there was a comprehensive list here I could point unsure people to. It would also expand the exposure this site gets. 

• Like 1

@Apathetic Echidna, thanks for the suggestion. On the one hand, I think it would be good to have a Wiki page. On the other hand, there are many out there already and I'd rather not duplicate work. We do have a FAQ page, but it doesn't have many details.

That being said, I wouldn't mind linking to another web site's Wiki page from here. This is AVEN's version of romantic orientations:

http://wiki.asexuality.org/Romantic_orientation

Is there a better Wiki out there for romantic orientations?

@Blue Phoenix Ace on AVEN I found this one better than their wiki page

http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/119238-a-list-of-romantic-orientations/ 

and that is all I was really thinking of for here, a pinned topic which is a list, rather than a wiki page with info like in the FAQ

• 6 months later...
22 hours ago, Zae said:

Maybe a way to hide your status updates from specific people/ones you have blocked?

I believe blocked people can see none of your content, including status updates. I don't think there is any way to block your status updates but not your posts from certain people (nor can I set any settings to do that).

1 hour ago, Blue Phoenix Ace said:

I believe blocked people can see none of your content, including status updates. I don't think there is any way to block your status updates but not your posts from certain people (nor can I set any settings to do that).

Oh, that's fine then. I only knew you could choose not to see their posts when they're blocked ^^"

And yeah, not letting them see anything is good :3

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Is there any kind of twitter or other offsite location where communications can be posted when the site is down like it was a while ago? I'm not sure if there are some existing that I just don't know about.

I used to use AVEN back when it was having a lot of server problems, and having a designated offsite twitter and "backup site" that we could check really helped with peace of mind when knowing that site downtime was just temporary technical issues that would be resolved in a few days as opposed to the end of the site forever. (Especially considering the history of ace and aro forums that do just disappear into the void without notice)

• Like 2

@Sammy Sadly I don't have any control over that. It is just a free third party plugin that supports the current forum software. :(

@sennkestra, if you experience more forum troubles and you have an AVEN account, you can message me there under the same user name. Most of the recent issues were caused by an upgrade to the php version. Hopefully all the problems with that have worked themselves out by now. Sorry for all the recent downtime!

• 1 month later...

This might be out of scope for this thread, but are there plans for making a mobile app for arocalypse? Or is the mobile web experience good enough that we don't need a native app? (I'm new here, so I haven't had time to try this out on my phone)

Hats off to the developers, while I’d still be interested in seeing a mobile app at some point, this is by far the best mobile web experience I’ve had in years, and it’s more usable than I thought was possible in a mobile web browser. 

• 2 months later...

Just a question, can we delete our topics? If yes, how to? And if that's not possible… I would be interrested. Sometime i put too much personal stuff in mines and i should not.

(i also noticed that you can't delete your account. I don't want to do it right now , but i don't understand why we can't. )

I believe that if you edit the first post of the thread, then you will have an option to delete the thread entirely. The option only appears when you edit the very first message of the thread and you're also the poster. (Well, I guess you can't edit somebody else's post anyway)

As for deleting your account, I'm the only one who can do that. It will remove all your information and any post you had made previously will still be there but the poster's name is changed to either "guest" or "anonymous". Just message me and I can take care of it. I've only done it three times so far, so it's pretty rare.

10 hours ago, Blue Phoenix Ace said:

I believe that if you edit the first post of the thread, then you will have an option to delete the thread entirely. The option only appears when you edit the very first message of the thread and you're also the poster. (Well, I guess you can't edit somebody else's post anyway)

Good to know, thanks ! (yeah you can't edit someone's else post. It would be chaotic if we could )

10 hours ago, Blue Phoenix Ace said:

As for deleting your account, I'm the only one who can do that. It will remove all your information and any post you had made previously will still be there but the poster's name is changed to either "guest" or "anonymous". Just message me and I can take care of it. I've only done it three times so far, so it's pretty rare.

I see. Well, i am not going to do it right now, but at least i know how to in a possible future.

thanks !

(Edit : i tried to delete one of my post by editing it but it don't really work ? I don't know what i am supposed to do, all i can do is modifying the text.)

• 3 months later...

Hmm…

i am very confused by the fact that we can't delete our account. Is there a good reason for that? 

I would rather be able to delete when i want, for the reasons i want.