General site suggestions

Robin

Here's a thread for random suggestions to the forum

Profile fields displayed next to posts under the avatar

A link to the Arocalypse homepage in the menu bar

Logo

• Like 1

Yes, the likes are still limited! :(

Speaking of which, you should like my posts. Ah, you need more fonts! I exclusively use Lucida Sans Unicode on AVEN, so you should include that.

I just noticed: if you go search -> advanced search, it redirects you to a "page not found" page. Expanding on what I said above, the site needs a lot of aesthetic improvement. The name in the upper-right shouldn't be in that horrendous font and the overall format of the pages are painful to the eye, especially if you resize the window or tile it.

35 minutes ago, Robin said:

Profile fields displayed next to posts under the avatar

A link to the Arocalypse homepage in the menu bar

Logo

- Would be nice, can't seem to find the option but will keep looking

- Will take care of this when we get a logo/banner image and can attach a link to it

24 minutes ago, Robin said:

Status updates on index page

remove time limit for editing posts

- Done!

- Done!

28 minutes ago, DannyFenton123 said:

Ice cream emoji? C>

- Will add soon

21 minutes ago, Spud said:

Remove like limit

-Done!

18 minutes ago, DeMorgan said:

You should change the icon that goes with the site's name in the browser tab to something more aesthetically appealing (i.e. not square). See AVEN for an example. I'd suggest something like this, which is already an accepted symbol among the aromantic community.

- Will do this when we have a logo (your link looks like an Ace icon by the way...)

17 minutes ago, DeMorgan said:

Speaking of which, you should like my posts. Ah, you need more fonts! I exclusively use Lucida Sans Unicode on AVEN, so you should include that.

- Done! (I think)

Yep, there's the font you are looking for. :)

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Spud said:

Someone posted a cool logo on here. I don't have the link, but we should use that.

1. That person is me
  2. Thanks for the compliment
  3. You can find it here
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, DannyFenton123 said:

Ice cream emoji? C>

Done! Find it under the food aisle of your emoticon dialog! :icecream:

3 hours ago, Robin said:

Can we hide member profiles from the public for safety an privacy?

I could, but that would defeat the purpose of filling the information out. If you wish to keep it private, simply leave it blank. None of the fields are required. (If you are referring to a setting where each member can alter the privacy of their profile, then that makes more sense, but I can't seem to find such a setting.)

Outstanding issues are:

- Advanced search goes to page not found, I have contacted tech support about this

- Arocalypse logo, being solved in another thread (thread is pinned and deadline set for April 10th, resolved)

- Font in upper right is hideous, site aesthetics not so good. This is more of a "philosophical" problem as we say in the programming world. There's no clear solution in other words. One person may think the site is hideous and others think it looks good. I realize some of our users may have various types of color blindness and this can certainly make some colors look much worse to them.

We do have a "solution" for this. At the bottom of the screen you can click on Themes and try out another theme. Let me know if neither the default Green theme, nor the Default theme work for you and we can try to figure something out.

I do plan on gathering some opinions on the colors, fonts, etc in the upcoming weeks. I am open to specific suggestions as well. Thanks!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blue Phoenix Ace said:

This is more of a "philosophical" problem as we say in the programming world. There's no clear solution in other words.

Fine, but there are some serious UI problems. If you tile the page on one side of your screen (in Chrome, anyway), the "create" button disappears. Similarly, the "unread content" button only exists while the page is tiled. The "Like this" buttons jump to the left of the posts above the "quote" button, which increases the length of the page by one line per post. Over 20 posts, that's 20 lines that could have been text making scrolling take longer and adding more whitespace.

But thanks for the Lucida Sans Unicode. I feel at home now. :icecream:

26 minutes ago, DeMorgan said:

Fine, but there are some serious UI problems. If you tile the page on one side of your screen (in Chrome, anyway), the "create" button disappears.

Why do you need the create button? There's a "start new topic" and "reply to this topic" button at the top. I'm not saying you're wrong, just trying to figure out what the use case is.

Similarly, the "unread content" button only exists while the page is tiled.

You can see "unread content" in full screen as well. It's right under the search area.

The "Like this" buttons jump to the left of the posts above the "quote" button, which increases the length of the page by one line per post. Over 20 posts, that's 20 lines that could have been text making scrolling take longer and adding more whitespace.

Fixed! But I had to do some hacky CSS stuff, and it might break something else. So I'll have to keep an eye on it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Blue Phoenix Ace said:

Why do you need the create button? There's a "start new topic" and "reply to this topic" button at the top. I'm not saying you're wrong, just trying to figure out what the use case is.

You're viewing this from the functionality point of view, not the usability. Sure you can do that, but someone (particularly older folk) who are used to using the "create" button could get confused. That said, you should just kill the "create" button to fix the problem; it's redundant.

13 minutes ago, Blue Phoenix Ace said:

I can actually fix this with my mad CSS skills, hang tight.

As I've just noticed, you probably need to add a "quote" button to the post options, too. If I want to quote say, a book, I have to quote someone else's post and then change the name and delete all the text. Kinda annoying. But as for your mad CSS skills, it's non-trivial that the "forum" and "chat" tabs also disappear when you tile the page. It'd be great if you could fix that.

Finally, I have some requests from a bunch of us on chat right now. Obviously the front page needs improvement, but you're obviously aware of that. More specifically, we need at least some sort of a blurb on aromanticism to gain us pagerank on search engines. A Google search for terms like "I don't want relationships" or "non romantic" or "i want sex but not relationships is something wrong with me" need to lead to this site, not AVEN and buzzfeed articles. Similarly, that horrendously-fonted name in the upper right needs to be changed to something more reflective of the site's purpose a la AVEN. Someone who is not very familiar with the community wouldn't get why the site is "Arocalypse". Something like "Arocalypse: the aromantic community" or something. All of our incoming members are from AVEN or ace/aro communities on Reddit, but we need to try to gain people unaware of what aromanticism is. That should be the main goal.

Also, I don't think that the search bar works in the slightest.

• Like 1

Maybe it only shows to me but my notifications seem to be showing up on my profile... It shows a long list of posts that other people liked. Is there a way to be able to turn that off? It makes it look cluttered. It's not a problem if it can't be though : )

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Starry Sky said:

Maybe it only shows to me but my notifications seem to be showing up on my profile... It shows a long list of posts that other people liked. Is there a way to be able to turn that off? It makes it look cluttered. It's not a problem if it can't be though : )

Yeah, if I'm stalking someone looking through someone's profile I'm not really looking at what the people they follow liked..

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Starry Sky said:

If you click on the notification bell, then click on notification settings, you can tailor them to suit your needs.

• Like 1