Aromantism in many languages

(i, uh , think it fit here ? I hope )

I wonder how many members speak a language other than english.

How do you say "aromantic" in these language? And how is the "aromantic related" vocalubary? Just curious.

For exemple, i speak french.

- aromantic = aromantique (we also use aro)

- split attraction model (sam) = modèle d'attirances séparées (mas)

- woven aro = aro tissé(e)

- oriented aroace = aroace orienté(e)

- angled aroace = aroace angulaire

- arophobia and aromisia = arophobie et aromisie

- amatonormativity = amatonormativité

- polyamorous = polyamoureux / polyamoureuse

- nonamorous = nonamoureux / nonamoureuse

- aro spectrum : spectre aro

- aspec = spectre a (i guess ? )

- queerplatonic relationship = relation queerplatonique

- platonic = platonique

- sol'aro and prim' aro stay the same, but unit aro is "aro unitaire"

(things like "demiromantic" , "greyromantic" etc are the same more or less )

(i probably forgot some things. Maybe i will edit later if needed )

But to be honest, we often use the english words haha (off topic, but we still use "ace" or "queer" even is that don't make sense in french.)

( I also want to learn walloon but right now i don't know much about it. I don't even know if anything was said about it in this language )

What about you?

I study Japanese, and afaik the word for aromantic in Japanese is just... "aromantic" (アロマンティック). Aroace is "asexual" (アセクシャル), and allo ace is "nonsexual" (ノンセクシャル). I think there's also some non-loanword terms that aren't as frequently used, I forget what they are... there's like... mu-ai-something-or-other I think... Idk.

7 hours ago, nonmerci said:

I always use English words, but I don't go on French websites this often. Not about aromanticism, but asexuals use the letter A instead of ace.

To be honnest, i only know one or two french aro website ^^ and one who sometime talk about it. Not that bad i guess. I am mostly on facebook in a small french aro group. And sometime you can find some in twitter. I didn't know for "ace" and "a" that being said, i always hear french speaking aces use "ace".

2 hours ago, Jot-Aro Kujo said:

study Japanese, and afaik the word for aromantic in Japanese is just... "aromantic" (アロマンティック). Aroace is "asexual" (アセクシャル), and allo ace is "nonsexual" (ノンセクシャル). I think there's also some non-loanword terms that aren't as frequently used, I forget what they are... there's like... mu-ai-something-or-other I think... Idk.

Interresting ! Thanks for sharing !

--------------

I also asked this elsewhere, and i got various answers. I will ask them for their consent and share it here if they agree.

On 7/30/2019 at 9:05 AM, Cristal Gris said:

- split attraction model (sam) = modèle d'attirances séparées (mas)

- oriented aroace = aroace orienté(e)

Oh god, please don't tell me these are already spreading.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Coyote said:

Oh god, please don't tell me these are already spreading.

To be honest, its just someone (or two) who found the english words and decided to translate them. I heard of some peoples who use oriented aroace that being said. I dont know how popular they really are.

Probably not much. I just put them here because its related to aromantism. 

But you seem worried, why's that? Is there something i dont know?

On 7/30/2019 at 3:05 PM, Cristal Gris said:

I have no idea what a "woven aro" is in English

Same with this one

( I also want to learn walloon but right now i don't know much about it. I don't even know if anything was said about it in this language )

These too

- aro spectrum : spectre aro

- aspec = spectre a (i guess ? )

I've seen French speakers just say aspec/arospec like in English (I'm a French learner)

In Russian, Aromantic and Asexual are pretty much how they sound or are spelt, but with the Cyrillic alphabet. 

*brings up Russian keyboard*

Asexual - асексуал { aseksual }

Sexual - сексуал { seksual } (could use this for allosexual, I guess, there might be a separate term for it)

Aromantic - аромантик { aromantik }

Romantic - романтик { romantik } (could use this for alloromantic, I guess, there might be a separate term for it)

In the Russian language, the letter c is only used for the 's' sound and the letter x is only used for the 'kh' sound, which replaces the 'h' sound in English pretty much (think of the ch at the end of loch).

for example, Homosexual would be spelt like, 'хомосексуал' { khomoseksual }.

53 minutes ago, TripleA said:
On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 4:05 PM, Cristal Gris said:

I have no idea what a "woven aro" is in English

Same with this one

These too

Warning : i don't use these terms and i am not familiar with them. Still, i will try to explain.

Or give you some links 

woven aro : https://uniquelyaro.tumblr.com/post/185604405436/woven-aro-any-aromantic-who-claims-one-or-more?fbclid=IwAR3-pIDt5P5M7fLxVA1QzwakFL2MPALISN10xo4fJcP8RzN6iua3LtcdwT8

angled https://official-angledaroace.tumblr.com/post/183794178226/angled

For sol'aro , prim'aro and unit aro, well… to tell you the truth , i lost the source :/ I think it has something to do with aro who prioritize their aromantism for differents reasons. Or alternate names for non-sam aro, for some. But i am not the most reliable person if you want a full explaination. I just use "non-sam" aro for myself at best.

1 hour ago, TripleA said:

I've seen French speakers just say aspec/arospec like in English (I'm a French learner)

Well, you're not wrong ! We use english a lot.

In Russian, Aromantic and Asexual are pretty much how they sound or are spelt, but with the Cyrillic alphabet. 

*brings up Russian keyboard*

Asexual - асексуал { aseksual }

Sexual - сексуал { seksual } (could use this for allosexual, I guess, there might be a separate term for it)

Aromantic - аромантик { aromantik }

Romantic - романтик { romantik } (could use this for alloromantic, I guess, there might be a separate term for it)

Hey thanks! (and thank you for the pronunciation )

In the Russian language, the letter c is only used for the 's' sound and the letter x is only used for the 'kh' sound, which replaces the 'h' sound in English pretty much (think of the ch at the end of loch).

for example, Homosexual would be spelt like, 'хомосексуал' { khomoseksual }.

interresting, thanks you for sharing ! That's good to know

---------------------

This is very off topic, but i found some lbgt+ related words in walloon (a language i want to learn)

intersex = bikebok

lesbian = lap'teûse

pronoun = prono

gender = djinre

I am just glad i found this ^^ But… i have no idea if some of these words are slurs...

On 7/31/2019 at 11:06 PM, Cristal Gris said:

But you seem worried, why's that? Is there something i dont know?

Yes.

"Split attraction model" comes from non-aces criticizing ace community language. It usually went hand in hand with calling us homophobic. Besides that, as a concept, it's a mess and has a bunch of problems, because what "split attraction model" ostensibly is supposed to refer to actually conflates a bunch of different things. Using the term "split attraction model" in the way that it was originally and is currently used is no more fair or justified than using "asexuality" to mean "aromanticism."

"Oriented aroace" comes from someone who deliberately designed the term around an attraction-centric anti-gray definition & has tried to police that. "Angled" was proposed solely and exclusively to fill in the gaps that "oriented" deliberately excluded on arbitrary grounds; there's no reason for "angled" to exist outside of "oriented"'s own original problems, which I think deserve to be addressed in their own right.

34 minutes ago, Coyote said:

"Split attraction model" comes from non-aces criticizing ace community language. It usually went hand in hand with calling us homophobic. Besides that, as a concept, it's a mess and has a bunch of problems, because what "split attraction model" ostensibly is supposed to refer to actually conflates a bunch of different things. Using the term "split attraction model" in the way that it was originally and is currently used is no more fair or justified than using "asexuality" to mean "aromanticism."

"Oriented aroace" comes from someone who deliberately designed the term around an attraction-centric anti-gray definition & has tried to police that. "Angled" was proposed solely and exclusively to fill in the gaps that "oriented" deliberately excluded on arbitrary grounds; there's no reason for "angled" to exist outside of "oriented"'s own original problems, which I think deserve to be addressed in their own right.

I must admit, this is the first time i hear that. I don't say i don't believe you, i am just very surprised.

I won't say i understand everthing (i actually read your links, but i am very bad with long texts and i think i lack context ). But about oriented aroace, i read the links i your links. I... think i can see what you mean? Well, i didn't really checked the coiner of the term themself. 

Now that i think about it, i think i remember why "angled" was coined in the first place. It would make sense. But since i am neither grey, oriented aroace or angled aroace, i dont have much to say about it.

I will keep it in mind that being said.

33 minutes ago, Cristal Gris said:

I must admit, this is the first time i hear that. I don't say i don't believe you, i am just very surprised.

I won't say i understand everthing (i actually read your links, but i am very bad with long texts and i think i lack context ). But about oriented aroace, i read the links i your links. I... think i can see what you mean? Well, i didn't really checked the coiner of the term themself. 

Now that i think about it, i think i remember why "angled" was coined in the first place. It would make sense. But since i am neither grey, oriented aroace or angled aroace, i dont have much to say about it.

I will keep it in mind that being said.

It's from the tumblr mogai community Which is incredibly loaded with arguments and callouts and collection of receipts. Another problem is most of them are VERY young (like 14-17) which isnt a problem in itself but there can be a lot of misunderstandings surrounding indentity politics and social things regarding the non-cishet communities on tumblr. Generally these days Im wary of any terminology originating on tumblr. 

8 minutes ago, Mirrorreaper said:

It's from the tumblr mogai community Which is incredibly loaded with arguments and callouts and collection of receipts. Another problem is most of them are VERY young (like 14-17) which isnt a problem in itself but there can be a lot of misunderstandings surrounding indentity politics and social things regarding the non-cishet communities on tumblr. Generally these days Im wary of any terminology originating on tumblr. 

I am not even on tumblr. Well, i check sometime some tumblr blogs, but i don't interact. Must be why i don't really understand everything.

Hmm… tumblr is not bad itself, but that's not everything. Tumblr is not everything i mean. I still try to be crittical and step back when needed. 

I don't know what else to say haha, sorry. I am a bit lost.

On 7/30/2019 at 9:05 AM, Cristal Gris said:

How do you say "aromantic" in these language? And how is the "aromantic related" vocalubary? Just curious.

I've been excited to help out with AUREA and here's some translations for our "basic terms" in Polish, German, and Russian (with more in progress!). I also know off the top of my head that Spanish aromantic = arromántico.

Kind of neat to see variations of different languages!

3 hours ago, Lokiana said:

I've been excited to help out with AUREA and here's some translations for our "basic terms" in Polish, German, and Russian (with more in progress!). I also know off the top of my head that Spanish aromantic = arromántico.

Kind of neat to see variations of different languages!

Oh, i didn't know aurea made this ! Its great !

Thanks !

On 7/31/2019 at 4:30 AM, Jot-Aro Kujo said:

I study Japanese, and afaik the word for aromantic in Japanese is just... "aromantic" (アロマンティック). Aroace is "asexual" (アセクシャル), and allo ace is "nonsexual" (ノンセクシャル). I think there's also some non-loanword terms that aren't as frequently used, I forget what they are... there's like... mu-ai-something-or-other I think... Idk.

Also learning Japanese here and the words you're looking for are 無性愛者 (museiaisha) and 非性愛者 (hiseiaisha) which have the same definition as the loanword versions.

Only difference is that I think these ones are slightly more formal/clinical (I tend to see 同性愛者 (douseiaisha) etc. in more formal writing), but I could be mistaken.

Anyway, that's all I have to add...

• 3 years later...

Idk if this counts as much because it's still functions using the equivalent to english words, but a lot of asl terms for aromantics and asexuals is pretty boring honestly. For aromantic it's just a-r-o finger spelled and same for ace. Things like split attraction modle turn into the signs for split or separate, attraction, and then the sign that's used for diagram or model. It greatly depends on the context, but the aro and ace community don't have many identity specific signs. It's usually just a very literal translation (for reference, there are identity specific signs for things like lesbian, gay man, queer, bisexual, and many community specific things as well like drag or various terms used to describe queer people like butch or femme in the lesbian community) rather than any specific combination of preexisting or new signs. Honestly kind of a shame. I've seen in a few rare instances people using a modified version archer for aro, but mostly used among friends. (If anyone is curious, they just took the sign for archer and did the first motion smaller and closer to their chest and then just moved both of their hands to be paralleled in front of their chest for the last part instead). Long short of it, I want cool signs for aro and ace.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/30/2019 at 7:05 PM, Guest said:

woven aro

What is that? I’ve never heard of the term woven aro.

On 7/30/2019 at 7:05 PM, Guest said:

sol'aro and prim' aro

I have also never heard of these terms, either. 

I honestly have no idea how these words would translate to, in Urdu. There isn’t much of a concept about a lack of sexual attraction or a lack of romantic attraction. Not even a concept of sexual attraction or romantic attraction itself, tbh. No concept of the Split Attraction Model. People just think sexual attraction and romantic attraction are one thing and go hand-in-hand, together.