eOrion

Aro representation in the media

So! two part question for fun-

1) What kind of things would you like to see more of in regards to aro representation in the media (Examples - specific genres, specific identities, intersectionality, ect)? 

2) Have you seen any media meet, or be close to, your desires from question 1? If so what was it?

Mine:

1) I would like to see more aro characters in general, we're pretty much non-existent in media. But with specifics: I'd like to see multiple aro characters in the one show, with multiple intersecting identities, for example an autistic aro and an allistic aro, so we can provide representation; without accidentally implying an inherent link between the two identities. I'd also like to see specifically nonbinary aros, since thats how i identify, and i'd like to see aros portrayed positively in comedy; as it's my favourite genre :)

2) At the moment nothing quite lives up to that, but I'm attempting to write an aro short film at the moment (Cupid's Aro) which would address a lot of those points, and keep lightly annoying my friends into agreeing to write a-spec short films/webseries with me :D  

• Like 1

1) I would like to see trans/non binary aros in media. Well, for obvious reason (i am non binary) but also because trans characters are , i feel, often very romantic for some reason? And also, uh, just aros in general? Because it's not like i have seen a lot of them 😛 

2) Meh. I didn't.

• Like 1

I love to be aro represeted as a valid identity, not something to fixed or linked to a disease, to a mental condition, to a trauma, or whatever. Even if a character could have a disease etc, make it clear that aromanticism is not linked to it.

I don't have a specific wish for sexuality or gender, though I think it will be cool if the aro is not ace too, because people still think it is the same thing.

• Like 1