Jump to content

Recommended Posts

https://lgbtrc.usc.edu/trans/transgender/pronouns/

 

Hello everyone. 

I am currently writing the preface to a book with a profound message for trans folk. I am trying to use transgender pronouns for the main character. I do have a question, though, based on the above link. This link is for trans pronouns and I'm a little confused on "hir/zir" vs "hirs/zirs". To elaborate more, would an alternative to "her computer" (for an AFAB transgender person) be "zirs computer" or "zir computer"? I'm thinking it's "zirs computer" but I just want to be sure. Thank you in advance.

 

Godspeed

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, hir/zir would be analogous to her; these are examples of a possessive determiner, which is a pronoun modifying a noun to show possession.  In contrast, hirs/zirs would be analogous to hers; these are examples of a possessive pronoun.
The difference:

"That is zir computer" vs. "The computer is zirs"

 

Also, these would more commonly be considered neopronouns rather than transgender pronouns

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Magni said:

Also, these would more commonly be considered neopronouns rather than transgender pronouns

I wonder, what's the difference between neopronouns and trans ones?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2019 at 11:09 PM, The Angel of Eternity said:

I wonder, what's the difference between neopronouns and trans ones?

I don't really see the term "transgender pronouns" used?  Like....many trans people don't use neopronouns.  Neopronouns are basically any pronouns which haven't been regularly established in english, so not she, he, they, or it.  Also, what pronouns people use isn't necessarily tied to their gender? People can use whichever pronouns they prefer, regardless of their gender identity.  "neopronouns" is a term literally meaning "new pronouns", and while it's commonly used by nonbinary people, they're not named "nonbinary pronouns" because that would be unnecessarily restricting their use to specific gender identities.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Magni said:

I don't really see the term "transgender pronouns" used?  Like....many trans people don't use neopronouns.  Neopronouns are basically any pronouns which haven't been regularly established in english, so not she, he, they, or it.  Also, what pronouns people use isn't necessarily tied to their gender? People can use whichever pronouns they prefer, regardless of their gender identity.  "neopronouns" is a term literally meaning "new pronouns", and while it's commonly used by nonbinary people, they're not named "nonbinary pronouns" because that would be unnecessarily restricting their use to specific gender identities.

Very fascinating! I genuinely appreciate the insight you took the time to give me. It helps a lot.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...