Songs that mean a lot to you?

omitef

I have a special connection to the song "Deep Inside of You" by Third Eye Blind. It's held a lot of different meanings for me over time. When I first heard it, it made me think about all my past relationships with people, both platonic and romantic. 

I have a lot of mental health issues so I tend to isolate myself, but people mistake this as "an air of mystery" and end up thinking I'm some sort of super special guy with all sorts of deep dark secrets to reveal. And because I feel lonely, I'll play the "mystery man" act up to keep them interested in me, to the point where every interaction with them becomes a performance--which makes me feel lonelier, because I end up with a whole bunch of friends who aren't actually friends with the real me, and then I end up hating both them and myself, for making me become an actor in the first place. 

But over the past few years, I met some people who didn't want to pretend, for the sake of anybody. People who were brave enough to be themselves, to be open about their issues, who encouraged me to cut down my acting, and be more honest with myself and others. Hearing this song always reminds me that people can always make a difference in your life, if you let them in, and that sometimes, we need to learn to live without a safety net in order to grow in character.

What are some songs that mean a lot to you?

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, 46odnetnin said:

I'm still living life on the stage, and also have a bunch of fun mental illnesses. This song was one of the ones that kept me going, I've listened to it countless times I know every word off by heart :)

I really like the metaphors in this song, especially the one about the ring on her finger being a gift to the gutters. I've seen friendships and relationships get torn apart by mental illness and "My Manic and I" does a great job of capturing that wistfulness, without really putting a blame on anybody (which a lot of songs do). 

• Like 2

Traveller's Chant by Rizzle Kicks.

This really brings me nostalgia and has always been there to listen to in darker times because we are all travelling and... Words can't describe the feeling from listening to this and just remembering the most trivial stuff from 3-5 years ago

• Like 1

I'm going to second the person who said After the Storm by Mumford & Sons. That's one of my personal favorites, too.

Other songs that mean a lot to me-

Boats and Birds by Gregory and the Hawk

In Fact by Gregory and the Hawk

Fear & Loathing by Marina and the Diamonds

Safe & Sound by Taylor Swift

Flying Away from Fun Home

• Like 2

@DannyFenton123 I can definitely see why "After the Storm" would be a good song to listen to when you're upset. It makes me feel calm, and towards the end of the song, I feel a little more resolved to try and put things back together.

@OptimisticPessimist 

I really like the part in "Last Hope" that goes:

And the blood in these veins isn't pumping any less than it ever has
And that's the hope I have, the only thing I know that's keeping me alive

It reminds me of another line from the song "Be Calm" by FUN, that goes, "you hate your pulse because it still thinks you're alive," which is kinda the opposite of the lines in "Last Hope," even though both songs are about getting through hard times.

"Not Alone" sort of reminds me of a song you'd hear at the end of a movie with a happy ending. For some reason, the lyrics of "Famous Last Words" reminds me of "Semi-Charmed Life" by Third Eye Blind.

@Simowl 

Okay, I almost cried when I was listening to "Life Left to Go." It hit really hard for me, because both me and lot of my friends have felt like suicidal. I'm sorry.

Fall Out Boy is my go-to artist when I feel pissed or moody. I like more of their faster music, but their slow tracks can be really powerful too, like "Save Rock and Roll." I really loved the style of "Truce," and how it managed to convey the feeling of sadness and hope at the same time. "Self Conclusion" is amazing in a different way--it's almost as if the singer is earnestly begging you not to go. And I like the way "Paper Route" builds into a heavier beat towards the middle of the song.

I'm still gonna get back to the rest of y'all I just got homework right now 

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, omitef said:

@DannyFenton123 I can definitely see why "After the Storm" would be a good song to listen to when you're upset. It makes me feel calm, and towards the end of the song, I feel a little more resolved to try and put things back together.

Perhaps the only annoying thing about it is the lyrics 'and love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears'. I prefer to sing it with 'nor dismiss your fears' but that's just a nitpick :P

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm gonna focus on the good vibe songs that I've connected with rather than the more angsty-feelsey ones.

Gold by Owl City

Shooting Star by Owl City

Gosh Adam Young in general...I've liked his music for a long while now. It's been with me through middle school, when Fireflies first gained popularity. His usual upbeat, catchy, and whimsical lyrics parted those metaphorical clouds that darkened my skies during rougher patches of my life. These two songs specifically speak to my creative and artsy side. It's basically him singing "don't let your muse die out! Keep creating!" which means a lot coming from an artist that actually gets the struggles of motivation.

Gym Leader's Final Stand from Pokemon Black/White/Black2/White2

I have been a pokemon for approx. 17 years. This is my favorite game franchise by miles. I've never had a "too cool for Pokemon phase" and I see no future where I'm living without it. Its practically in my blood at this point. I very clearly remember the hype behind Black and White's release. And it didn't disappoint. I was engrossed in my White version. The headphones never came out during my first playthrough. This game was amazing because of how innovative it was, both in and out of battles. One of these new additions happened during battles with gym leaders, who are a big deal in the games. They test your skill, smarts, and power as a trainer. If you can't beat them, you can't move on. When their final Pokemon comes out, your heart stops, knowing that this is it. This is the last obstacles between you and victory. You have to make the most of it. One slip up could call the curtains for your team . And boy-oh-boy could a song ever embody all those feelings at once. All the joy, apprehension, exhilaration, and tension of the last minutes of a battle all wrapped up in this amazing yet short song. You've trained so hard and made it this far. There's no way you can stop now. I can't forget how my breath caught in my throat, my eyes widened, and this huge grin appeared on my face when I heard this song for the very first time. That was the moment that I knew for certain that Black/White were going to be good games. (and hey, they remain my favorite Pokemon games to this day!)

(Hmmm...can you tell I love pokemon? I'm not sure I made that clear enough...heh heh)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

These are songs I like to listen to specifically because they make me feel like they talk about aromanticism (which they probably don't, but I've decided not to care). The first one helped me through a though time, were people I cared about deeply told me that they loved me. I felt like the villain back than, because I wasn't able to reciprocate their feelings and this song helped. 

Specifically the lyrics "I think it's best, if we both forget, before we dwell on it"

Life for rent is really more of a recent song, that became relevant to me. Since I've moved a lot/will move a lot in my life and can't make romantic connections, I sometime's feel like nothing is really mine. Which is why I currently connect to this. 
Lyric: "I apologize but once again I'm not in love, but it's not as if I mind that your heart ain't exactly breaking"

Love, Love, Love - Of Monsters and Men
Life for Rent - Dido

Songs I like for non-aro reasons 

No Son of Mine - Genesis

Times are a changin' - Bob Dylan (Watchmen Version)

Ghost Rider in the Sky - Johnny Cash Cover
Last Unicorn - America (also Walking Man's road)
Fine on the Outside - Priscilla Ahn
Every Rebecca Sugar song ever, but especially this one

Yes I realize I've got the music taste of my parent's and grandparents generation. Why are you asking? :P 

• Like 2

When you wish upon a star (a.k.a. the song in Pinocchio that plays at the beginning of many Disney movies when you see the big castle)

I'v always had the head in the clouds and always loved staring at the stars...
Also, I had made an arrangement of it with my piano teacher back when I was preparing my audition for college. We really had a great time working on it and the juges really loved it! Entering this college is the best thing that ever happened to me, and because of that, every time I hear this song, I have noting but good memories and a feeling of accomplishment.

I have so many songs with meaning to me. Pretty much every big moment in my life has a song that goes with it. But since we're on an aro forum: 

Awake My Soul by Mumford and Sons is one of my favourite songs at the moment. Totally plays with my emotions with the build up at the end (and is a really good song to end a workout session/run on). Plus it has the rather fitting lyric "Lend me your hand and we'll conquer them all, but lend me your heart and I'll just let you fall"

• Like 1

Guernica by Brand New will always mean a lot to me. My dad passed away from cancer 2 years ago after over a year of fighting it and no song encapsulates better what it feels like to live with someone who's fighting a disease, and feeling like you're completely powerless in front of their suffering. "If I could I would shrink myself and sink through your skin to your blood cells and remove whatever makes you hurt, but I am too weak to be your cure" is probably the one phrase I would use to describe this feeling.

I've started actively listening to Mumford & Sons these past few weeks and I really love their music. It's so calming and relaxing... The only downside to them is that they have a lot of breakup songs and I really don't like those, but eh, noone's perfect.

I found out about After the Storm a few years ago though and it's really weird how the meaning of that song changed for me. I discovered this song back in a period when I was very lonely and it used to make me almost cry because of how sad I found it, because I would think "no, that time the song is talking about will never come". But listening to it now makes me smile because actually yeah, that time came, they were right, and this songs reminds me of all the fighting it took to get here and all the things I've been through but survived.

Awake my Soul is definitely one of the best songs they made too tbh, I love it, but I can't say it has a special meaning to me.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...