Parents and Family

Amaya

I have tried to tell my mom multiple times but she always dismisses it saying, "don't cut yourself off, you just haven't met the right person yet". I'm aromantic 100% and it's torture that my mom refuses to accept it. I don't know if she is disappointed and in denial or what but I really need to know what I should do. Should I keep pushing the issue or give her some space and try again later?O.o

• Like 1

Time might be the only help. That's my thought as my mom is the same. 'I read the preme babies have a tendency to not like touch when they get older"(meaning: it's not that you don't like anyone, it's that your hesitent. Which is wrong as I love to snuggle) If she doesn't get it with words a track record of not pursuing and showing no interest may be the only thing. Or another way of explaining it. I don't fully like how this sounds becuase I feel like I'm demening romantic relationships but it's the best way I've come to discribe aromantics and it speaks the romantic language: Romantics look for the one, their soul mate that will make them feel complete, whole. Aromantics don't pursue romantic relationships because we already have the other half of our soul. There is no need, want, or desire to look for what we already have. We are happy with who are and by ourselves.

Sometimes I wonder if romantics refusing to accept aromantics as we are is because of fear. The fear that we feel fine on our own. And the fear they they don't feel complete without a romantic relationship. That friends are the support we need and nothing more intense. I'm speaking purely as a asexual aromantic hermit mind you.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

When I was in high school my sister actually introduced me to the term 'asexual'. As I realized that the term described me I got interested and wanted to learn more, which is how I got educated on a wide range of queer sexual and romantic orientations and eventually chose the term 'aromantic' for myself.

My mom has found out about me identifying as ace because I gave my sister permission to tell her. My mom got mad at my sister and said that my sister was putting labels on me (which wasn't true). My mom is now more accepting about it but she and I don't discuss it much. I have not told my dad as I don't know how he'd react and I have no interest in him finding out. I'm also uninterested in telling either of my parents about aromanticism as I don't feel they need to know.

I'm not out to my parents, mostly because I stopped speaking to them before I figured out I was aroace. But I did come out to my brother and my grandfather. My brother needed me to explain what "asexual" and "aromantic" meant, but was generally accepting, if a bit skeptical. (When I defined "sexual attraction" for him he said that wasn't a real thing). My grandfather surprised me. I didn't expect him to know what "asexual" or "aromantic" meant, so I came prepared to do the whole speech and everything. But he said he already knew what those words meant, and ultimately he just wanted me to be happy. It was surprising, but easily my most positive experience coming out. He died a few months after that, so I ended up being really glad I told him. It's good to know he was on my side.

• Like 2

I'm out to pretty much everyone including my family, and they are generally accepting now but they previously didn't believe me because of how I had seemed to know that I wanted a romantic relationship before, not getting that that came from the external influences of the media and what they had taught me. My parents have definitely become more accepting of me than they once were, and I think they have also adjusted their views of romantic relationships and marriage a little bit so they don't see them as an essential part of life for everyone.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
On 4/16/2016 at 12:31 AM, Vega said:

She's told me that she'd be fine whether I brought home a man or woman, which is a nice sentiment but not really necessary to my situation. :P

Same. I don't get it. They are fine with me being gay but I tried coming out to them but they said 'that its just a phase'. I even made a flipping aro ace joke and they didn't even bat an eyelid. I am aro ace though. 

I have only had I boyfriend year 7 but now I realise that I just wanted to say that I had a relationship. 

It took me 4 years to come out to my parents and understand it my self but they won't accept me. 

As soon as I turn 18 I am leaving them forever and changing my name as they want me and my two younger sisters to have children (but my 2 sisters both have a boyfriend so what is my parents problem?) 

If they won't accept that I am aro ace then they don't deserve to be part of my life. 

I came out at school though, only my best friend (who I see as my sister) accepts me. Everyone else either makes fun of it or is confused so i have to explain it again and again. 

It really is annoying. 

I'm nearly 37, not out to anyone although since a recent (and pretty much only) 3 month relationship ended, I've accepted myself and that I just do not require sex and/or romance.

I used to have terrible anxiety as I'm an only child and am expected to procreate, but I think my parents are aware that that ship has sailed.

• 2 months later...

i didn't specifically use the aro label but i have told my parents that i neither want to marry nor have kids. thankfully they took it well but my mom's still a bit disappointed she's not getting grandkids from me. good thing one of my sisters does plan on having kids so i'm basically off the hook lol.

• 2 weeks later...

I am out as aro to 2 people only, my best friend and a friend from university. Both are really good keeping secrets so i won't be outed. Besides that, my family doesn't know and will not know from my mouth. Both my parents want me to have kids and get married, which I will not give them cuz I am not interested. Both are sad but my decision will never change. My answer to the parents that want to guilt trip the kids into having kids is that they get a bed and work on anothee kid if they want grandkids. That they raise another kid to adulthood and try again if that fails, but never force or guilt trip someone into a decision that doesn't concern them,that is plain rude and bad parenting. A parent's job is to raise their kid, nothing more. We as the product of an activity we were not asked about have zero reason to owe them anything.

• Like 1